Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.Weve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, youll see that we arent using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
one of the legs resolved to "Upgrade Requested" as always, and confirmed in PZ on the other. but the other, although the "upgrade requested" flag is there, theres still a "PZ Class Requested" on the same segment.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ok! Here is a funky question for you all!
I am flying LHR-ORD on 959 on the 1st of November.. I was waitlisted using MP award to GF (P-> ON)
This morning my booking shows me sitting in 1C, in Polaris Business, and waitlisted for J

So does this mean:
1) I can cancel my MP award and stay in 1c?
2) I will not get access to GF lounge in LHR which was a BIG part of my deciding to pony up for the chance to upgrade?

should I call MP or just be patient?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Did a flight search that shows P0 PN7...thats got to be a first. PZ is also 0.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
What a terrible mess. Now my waitlist for 'O' SFO-LHR says 'waitlisted for 'J'. We'll see how it goes
Same for LHR-ORD
And I am assuming we get no access to LHR GF lounge
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Did a flight search that shows P0 PN7...that’s got to be a first. PZ is also 0.
Looks like after the changes, PN has swelled in a lot of cases, with some flights I was watching shooting up to PN9, while P and PZ have remained constant to what they were previously (based on a few datapoints from yesterday).

Also, who's going to be the first to test if PZ is SDC-able? Looks like any other fare class on my reservations, missing the note that it was supported by an instrument.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Oct 20, 2018 at 8:51 am Reason: Added SDC thought
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Same for LHR-ORD
And I am assuming we get no access to LHR GF lounge
I want to wager a bet this is a good assumption. Unless they officially open it up for Polaris which would be a mess. All Global First language was removed, so I guess the GF lounge will only be accessible when flying other *A airlines in F or as a GS.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juan516
Am I correct with this assumption - inputs are most welcome.
Yes. Miles & More was treating A like a three-class discount first fare, even though it was two-class first domestically. That won't happen with the retirement of F and A booking codes, and I'm sure they'll renegotiate the earnings table when UA introduces actual Premium Plus fares.

2) I will not get access to GF lounge in LHR which was a BIG part of my deciding to pony up for the chance to upgrade?
1 - Looks that way, as multiple people, including me, have been able to select the former F seats on a business class ticket; UA is no longer offering a separate F cabin, and they apparently haven't blocked those seats for pre-assignment. (There's always a risk that the seat assignments won't stick, however).
2 - Most likely, although I think we'll know more in the next few days.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
So one piece of good news from this change is that UA has now branded GF as BF and the orange boxes are seats now available for selection. Only problem is that it might be restricted to 1k or GSs for now. I tried changing my wife and mine, it would only confirm my seat and not hers. Wonder if it could be because of the lap infant
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Not sure if relevant, but I have an SLC-EWR segment ticketed in A that is now showing D class.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Not sure if relevant, but I have an SLC-EWR segment ticketed in A that is now showing D class.
this is what others have reported as well. Looks like A --> D and F--> J ... makes sense IMO.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Ok! Here is a funky question for you all!
I am flying LHR-ORD on 959 on the 1st of November.. I was waitlisted using MP award to GF (P-> ON)
This morning my booking shows me sitting in 1C, in Polaris Business, and waitlisted for J

So does this mean:

should I call MP or just be patient?
Ok.. I messed up big time.
I called up and asked them to remove the waitlist.. They said no problems.. In the process I was moved to 6c back in BF. Ok, it was pure luck I ended up in 1C but I am disappointed I am now back in 6c.

Should have just been patient
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
So one piece of good news from this change is that UA has now branded GF as BF and the orange boxes are seats now available for selection. Only problem is that it might be restricted to 1k or GSs for now.
My wife is Platinum and she managed to get a seat in the First Class area. She's on her own PNR. Now, if she gets kicked out of her seat it better be in the next few days as there are still plenty of aisle seats in the Business area.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok.. I messed up big time.
I called up and asked them to remove the waitlist.. They said no problems.. In the process I was moved to 6c back in BF. Ok, it was pure luck I ended up in 1C but I am disappointed I am now back in 6c.

Should have just been patient
Go back into the record and see if you can select the seat. Try it both online and on the app, if necessary.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by jsloan
Go back into the record and see if you can select the seat. Try it both online and on the app, if necessary.
Yeah I was having problems confirming my spouse's seat on the phone app, but then on the phone website it worked fine to select both of our seats
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No dice.
And even a supervisor on the phone can not.
His story (which I find dubious) is I would have been removed from 1c in a sweep anyway.

This roll out has been poorly handled.. Folks on the phone did not know what was going on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.