Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving up on 1k, what next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's a pretty good Delta/SkyTeam destination set. Delta partners Virgin Atlantic non-stop to LHR, AF non-stop to CDG, KL non-stop to AMS. Delta SFO-LAX-SYD, or partner Virgin Australia on the LAX-SYD segment; China Airlines SFO-TPE-JKT. Delta's equivalent of the GPU (the GUC) is usable with fare restrictions on AF, KL, VS, Korean, and AM, but - as noted above, is only available at the Diamond 125K level.
​​​​​DL is staying 9-across in economy on their 777. However it is worth mentioning that DL is planning on dropping C+ on their wide bodies when they add premium economy. And domestically the C+ is an "upgrade" process and not something you can confirm at booking unless diamond and possibly platinum (compared to lifetime gold on UA? I'm not sure) .

​​​​OP will also have SkyClub access from Amex for domestic airports on Delta, but *G includes the international lounges which may be better than priority pass.

I'd probably stay with UA - 1K status is good through 2020 and if a requal doesn't seem likely, OP can match over to Delta later.
​​​​​
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Delta also requires $15,000 in MQD (although I believe you can earn it on partner flights) so this might still be an issue for OP. The other thing to consider is no matter what fare class, you only get 150% MQM for premium tickets, which may not be a factor for OP depending on how many BIS miles he does a year in J.

My $0.02, if you don’t want to stick with UA, just become a kayaker and don’t worry about status. UA really is the best for your travel patterns from SFO. There’s no point in contorting your travels to try to get on another alliance if you don’t want to stick with United.
ContinentalFan and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Oct 20, 2018 at 1:19 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
may not be a factor for OP depending on how many BIS meals he does a year in J.
I didn't realize people actually kept track of that...

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Focus on getting there with whatever your prerequisites are and let status fall where it does.
Exactly.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Do a status match or challenge with an airline in another alliance while you are still 1K so you can get lounge access on International Economy or Premium Economy while you shop around. Or if you status match to a non-US Airline, then get US domestic lounge access too.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I didn't realize people actually kept track of that...
This is flyertalk. You don’t obsess over how many miles your food flies??😉

typo fixed
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
My $0.02, if you don’t want to stick with UA, just become a kayaker and don’t worry about status. UA really is the best for your travel patterns from SFO. There’s no point in contorting your travels to try to get on another alliance if you don’t want to stick with United.
Completely agree with this. The other alternative I'll mention is AS, not so much as primary carrier, but on routes where they're competitive and as a repository for flight credit if you're flying CX, SQ, KE, or one of their other partners. It's not hard to get AS status (Gold or 75K) if you fly a few paid J flights per year on those carriers, and you'll book a boatload of AS miles.

And DL/ST is NOT a comparable replacement option for heavy international travelers ex-SFO. I tried it for a year. The options are far inferior to what *A offers. I can get as specific as you like, but just ask yourself, would you rather connect at CDG after flying angle-flats TATL, or at FRA/ZRH/MUC/LHR (T2) with 100% lie-flat options TATL?
LeviFlight and findark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.