Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Protection when connecting from award to paid ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GOLD

I'm looking to book a flight with United miles from Europe to USA, but can only get an award seat on Austrian Airlines from Vienna to Chicago. The domestic leg isn't available with miles, but if I purchase it I know it'll be on a separate PNR. Will there be any kind of connection protection if I purchase the domestic leg on United? OneWorld used to do this--but no longer--and I'm having trouble finding any Star Alliance policy. Does "linking" the reservations do anything to help?

I would have a 2:20 connection, which I know should be plenty of time (I will have a checked bag but have Global Entry); I just don't want to be screwed if the Austrian flight is 2 hours late. Would any kind of travel insurance even help in the event the flight from Vienna was late due to weather or mechanical?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Plat
No you are not formally protected. I think UA would be a lot happier to rebook you if your inbound was also UA but they probably would in this instance.

And I wouldn't consider 2:20 plenty of time for I-D!
brp1264 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Well I guess 2:20 isn't tons of time, but I'm trying to rationalize it since the next flight would give me a 6:05 connection, which sounds far worse
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dupinort
I would have a 2:20 connection, which I know should be plenty of time (I will have a checked bag but have Global Entry)
At ORD? With checked bags? Where you will arrive at T5? That's not even close to "plenty of time."
Aussienarelle and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Kacee
At ORD? With checked bags? Where you will arrive at T5? That's not even close to "plenty of time."
I would agree having recently connected at ORD to AC. Even with Global Entry it took almost 2 hours because the inter terminal train was down. Would they even check your bags to the final destination on a separate PNR or would you have to go to check in again for your UA segment? I have had AC link an award reservation with them followed by a paid reservation with UA and check bags all the way but that is in a small, relatively quiet and friendly Canadian airport, none of those adjectives describing ORD ( although credit where it is due I typically find UA agents to be more helpful and efficient than many of their AC counterparts).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This is not any sort of "connection". It is two separate tickets. And as the previous poster noted, with checked bags and a T5 arrival 2:20 really is cutting things pretty close. Bag cutoff time for domestic flights is 45 minutes so you really have 1:25 to exit your arriving aircraft, clear customs, collect your bag(s) and change terminals. I'm not sure when your planned travel is but the train that connects the terminals is under maintenance and is currently not running Monday to Friday. Instead, shuttle bus service is being prvided. I'd suggest you investigate what alternatives are available.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I guess I do need to rethink this--I didn't realize the train was undergoing maintenance!
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Well I guess 2:20 isn't tons of time, but I'm trying to rationalize it since the next flight would give me a 6:05 connection, which sounds far worse
If I were you, I would take the 6:05 connection and then when arriving go to the UA counter located just when you exit the passport control and luggage area to give your luggage and ask if you can SDC (Same Day change) to the earlier flight. There might be a fee depending on your status and fare class available. Since you will have checked luggage, I don't think that you can do standby.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 19, 2018 at 2:20 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Not sure if it's feasible for OP, but the chase united credit card provides additional economy award inventory
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this the OS flight that arrives around 2PM? I've flown that flight last year in J and a 2:20 connection would be tight.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - This has nothing to do with PNR's but rather tickets. Separate tickets means no protection. Presuming that if there is a delay that it will be caused by OS, not UA and therefore it would be OS' duty to rebook (if you had a connection), you can absolutely forget about OS rebooking you.

It is possible that UA might help out here, but it does not even have an obligation to rebook if you purchased this as a connection.

The question for you is not whether you could make the transfer but whether you are willing to accept the risk of having to purchase a new ticket.

Far better to take a longer transfer and then try to SDC. If asked to pay, it's only $75 and you can make that judgment when you have your bags in hand and are through CBP.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I am in ORD after a CX flight from HKG with a separate PNR on AA. No train was operating so it was the bus transfer from I-D. Took forever and we landed early and I have GE. Bad weather on the day you are flying will only make things slower. One poor guy who was on BA with a tight connection to AA with a priority voucher gave up at T2 and ran to T3
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Agree with other posters about the train. The shuttle is a total nightmare. 30 minutes waiting in line just to get on it and the staff stressed and screaming at everyone.

SDC is a good option if you don’t mind risk of bad seats. But personally I would take the 6 hour connection confirmed and then try to rush to the gate and SDC onto the 2:20 connection.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I was just now able to find award availability on the following day connecting in IAD (Austrian to United) and would have a 2:10 connection. It would connect to the last flight of the day but would at least be all on one ticket and save the expense of purchasing the domestic leg.

I assume this would be a better option? I'm not familiar with IAD at all.

Thanks again for your help!
jsloan and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I am in ORD after a CX flight from HKG with a separate PNR on AA. No train was operating so it was the bus transfer from I-D. Took forever and we landed early and I have GE. Bad weather on the day you are flying will only make things slower. One poor guy who was on BA with a tight connection to AA with a priority voucher gave up at T2 and ran to T3
Two weeks ago I flew FRA-ORD and there were UA agents in the jet bridge handing out orange priority vouchers to specific people with tight connections. Couldn't figure out what "priority" service they were receiving. Fast track through immigration? Private transportation to T1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.