Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Protection when connecting from award to paid ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protection when connecting from award to paid ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
Two weeks ago I flew FRA-ORD and there were UA agents in the jet bridge handing out orange priority vouchers to specific people with tight connections. Couldn't figure out what "priority" service they were receiving. Fast track through immigration? Private transportation to T1?
I never saw those on United but I did receive an orange voucher once in DFW when getting out of a BA flight with a tight connection to an AA flight. There, it was for fast track through immigration. It was before I got GE so I could really use it.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
2:10 is fine for the IAD connection.

It is better because it is a connection. If OS arrives late and you misconnect, OS will not only rebook you the next day, but because it is an EU departure, OS will have a duty of care to cover your hotel & meals and may, depending on the reason for the delay, owe EUR 600 in EC 261/2004 delay compensation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
IAD vs ORD

Originally Posted by dupinort
I was just now able to find award availability on the following day connecting in IAD (Austrian to United) and would have a 2:10 connection. It would connect to the last flight of the day but would at least be all on one ticket and save the expense of purchasing the domestic leg.

I assume this would be a better option? I'm not familiar with IAD at all.

Thanks again for your help!
I clear customs at IAD with GE status often 15-20 min after exit aircraft. You then need to wait for checked luggage to show up (assume max 30 min on Austrian). Getting to ORD gate often means going to C concourse, which takes 10 min (walk to AirTran, wait 1-2 min for train, and 3 min trip). Then need to walk 5-10 min from AirTran to end of long walkway to escalator for C gates. So 2.10 connection is doable, and much better than ORD 2.2h connection (seems you really don't want 6h connection in ORD).

Last edited by npei; Oct 19, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Gotta disagree with a lot of the advice (though admittedly ORD is not the best for connections rn):

-OS flight usually on time
-ORD T5 with GE arrival at furthest gate 10-15 min walk to GE kiosk;
-Wait for bags 25-45 minutes
-Hand off GE slip to customs officer, walk to bag check 3 minutes
- Wait for now more frequent shuttle 5-15 minutes
- Shuttle 15-20 minutes
-TSA Pre at T1 6 minutes
- Walking to furthest C gate 12 minutes

Total gate to gate time 1hr16min to 1hr56min.

Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by onthesam
Which leaves no room for unanticipated delays or problems. People aren't saying this can't be done, they're saying it's a poor idea on separate tickets because there is insufficient cushion.

When you're booking separate tix, you don't ask yourself "is this theoretically possible?"; you ask, "have I left a reasonable cushion in case something goes wrong so I don't wind up having to buy a walk-up fare and/or being forced to overnight at my own expense?"
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Gotta disagree with a lot of the advice (though admittedly ORD is not the best for connections rn):

- Shuttle 15-20 minutes
-TSA Pre at T1 6 minutes

You forgot to add that they close the gate 15 minutes before departure.

And last time I went through ORD, the line to give the GE slip was 10 minutes.
onthesam likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

- Shuttle 15-20 minutes
-TSA Pre at T1 6 minutes

You are omitting the simple fact that on these facts, OP has separate tickets at ORD and a single ticket at IAD. The separate ticket means that OP, not OS, bears 100% of the risk of missing his onward flight. New ticket, hotel, and food.

The question of which one is "better" is one of risk tolerance. Both are doable. It is the consequences of the doable not working in the specific situation that matter.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GOLD
Thanks again for the responses. I do though want to confirm something: the reviews below make connecting at IAD sound like a nightmare. Is all of the griping in the reviews moot if I have Global Entry? And is there really no Pre-Check at the security after customs to get into the domestic terminal?

https://www.airlinequality.com/airpo...ulles-airport/

I see that it is much better to have the protection of a single ticket, but connecting to the last flight of the evening always make me nervous (especially when reading these reports of insane waiting times at immigration/customs). But if that won't affect me with GE then I won't worry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.