FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Pilot asks FA's to "check in" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1936287-pilot-asks-fas-check.html)

higher_flyer Oct 18, 18 5:28 pm

Pilot asks FA's to "check in"

Flew SFO-RDU over the weekend, and twice the pilot announced over the PA "FA's please check-in." I've never heard that before in all my years on UA. I'm curious why he would have done it, and what it could have meant. I assumed pilots simply call the galleys "ding!" If there had been some comm problem between cockpit and galley, he wouldn't have asked them to check in (they responded by phone, not by knocking/entering the cockpit). And in this day and age, a comm problem between cockpit and galley seems like good reason to go mx.

cfischer Oct 18, 18 5:58 pm

I have seen this many times, as recent as 2 weeks ago BOS-SFO and yes, it was most likely a communication problem between the cockpit and the FAs.

wxguy Oct 18, 18 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30330468)
I have seen this many times, as recent as 2 weeks ago BOS-SFO and yes, it was most likely a communication problem between the cockpit and the FAs.

Same. Specifically, it was after a bout of turbulence where the FAs had to be seated, and the captain wanted to let them up without turning off the seatbelt sign.

clubord Oct 18, 18 6:08 pm

It’s no communication problem like someone else suggested upthread.

The “Flight Attendants take your jumpseats” and “Flight Attendants Check In” calls are procedures in force by flight ops to reduce the turbulence related injuries incurred by the flight attendants.

cfischer Oct 18, 18 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 30330495)
It’s no communication problem like someone else suggested upthread.

The “Flight Attendants take your jumpseats” and “Flight Attendants Check In” calls are procedures in force by flight ops to reduce the turbulence related injuries incurred by the flight attendants.

in my case it was a communication problem. I know it because I was in 1C and heard the FAs talk about it ;) The actually wrote a piece of paper and slipped it under the cockpit door.

LarryJ Oct 19, 18 11:24 am

That is a standard PA announcement which has specific meanings to the FAs. It is used after the FAs have been instructed to take their jumpseats or be seated immediately. Those announcements are over the PA, instead of via the interphone, so that FAs who are not at a jumpseat can hear them. The check in announcement will have the FAs will check in with the purser to report cabin condition, injuries, etc. after an unexpected turbulence encounter. The purser will then contact the pilots with that information.

In the past, most of this would have been done via the interphone but the change to using these three specific PA announcements is part of the program to reduce FA turbulence injuries.

mduell Oct 19, 18 11:37 am

Originally Posted by higher_flyer (Post 30330389)
And in this day and age, a comm problem between cockpit and galley seems like good reason to go mx.

Uh, no, not at all.

SAPriorityTag Oct 19, 18 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 30330495)

I have noticed it happening with greater frequency on my flights since the beginning of the year.

demkr Oct 19, 18 2:55 pm

I noticed it for the first time last month and the pilot said it atleast 5 times. Weird.

tarheelnj Oct 19, 18 3:10 pm

Interesting...If seated in F, I always took it as a signal to hit the lav if necessary, because they were about to block the aisle to let the pilot out.

cv11nyc Oct 19, 18 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag (Post 30333733)
I have noticed it happening with greater frequency on my flights since the beginning of the year.

There has been a great emphasis by both Flights Ops and Inflight to reduce FA injuries. A big part of that has been using the communication procedure my colleagues layed out in this thread. I fly the 777. Often what feels like light turbulence to me in the front can be hard to walk in for those in aft galley. Much rather have them in their seats safe then struggling to pour a cup of coffee.