Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot asks FA's to "check in"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Pilot asks FA's to "check in"

Flew SFO-RDU over the weekend, and twice the pilot announced over the PA "FA's please check-in." I've never heard that before in all my years on UA. I'm curious why he would have done it, and what it could have meant. I assumed pilots simply call the galleys "ding!" If there had been some comm problem between cockpit and galley, he wouldn't have asked them to check in (they responded by phone, not by knocking/entering the cockpit). And in this day and age, a comm problem between cockpit and galley seems like good reason to go mx.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have seen this many times, as recent as 2 weeks ago BOS-SFO and yes, it was most likely a communication problem between the cockpit and the FAs.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have seen this many times, as recent as 2 weeks ago BOS-SFO and yes, it was most likely a communication problem between the cockpit and the FAs.
Same. Specifically, it was after a bout of turbulence where the FAs had to be seated, and the captain wanted to let them up without turning off the seatbelt sign.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
It’s no communication problem like someone else suggested upthread.

The “Flight Attendants take your jumpseats” and “Flight Attendants Check In” calls are procedures in force by flight ops to reduce the turbulence related injuries incurred by the flight attendants.
fezzington likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by clubord
It’s no communication problem like someone else suggested upthread.

The “Flight Attendants take your jumpseats” and “Flight Attendants Check In” calls are procedures in force by flight ops to reduce the turbulence related injuries incurred by the flight attendants.
in my case it was a communication problem. I know it because I was in 1C and heard the FAs talk about it The actually wrote a piece of paper and slipped it under the cockpit door.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
That is a standard PA announcement which has specific meanings to the FAs. It is used after the FAs have been instructed to take their jumpseats or be seated immediately. Those announcements are over the PA, instead of via the interphone, so that FAs who are not at a jumpseat can hear them. The check in announcement will have the FAs will check in with the purser to report cabin condition, injuries, etc. after an unexpected turbulence encounter. The purser will then contact the pilots with that information.

In the past, most of this would have been done via the interphone but the change to using these three specific PA announcements is part of the program to reduce FA turbulence injuries.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
And in this day and age, a comm problem between cockpit and galley seems like good reason to go mx.
Uh, no, not at all.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by clubord

I have noticed it happening with greater frequency on my flights since the beginning of the year.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I noticed it for the first time last month and the pilot said it atleast 5 times. Weird.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Interesting...If seated in F, I always took it as a signal to hit the lav if necessary, because they were about to block the aisle to let the pilot out.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I have noticed it happening with greater frequency on my flights since the beginning of the year.
There has been a great emphasis by both Flights Ops and Inflight to reduce FA injuries. A big part of that has been using the communication procedure my colleagues layed out in this thread. I fly the 777. Often what feels like light turbulence to me in the front can be hard to walk in for those in aft galley. Much rather have them in their seats safe then struggling to pour a cup of coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.