Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, partner route discontinuances can happen and this presents a difficult situation. Note we are not talking about day-of-travel cancellations but rather schedule changes where service is no longer offered on the preferred day of travel.

If a partner cancels and UA can not get you there on UA-operated flights, the most common outcome is a refund.
But first, try to see if you can find alternative partners to get you there (including alternative dates), UA will re-book you but if there is a fare / mileage difference you may be responsible for that
UA can not force award space on partner flights but will on UA operated flights (even if you change partner flights)

The reality is there is no obligation to find a solution but UA agents are generally very willing to be creative (within the rules)

If when looking at alternative options, no award space is available, one can check if UA will contact the partner (via UA's partner liaison) and request new space. This is rarely successful and reports of success would be appreciated.
Print Wikipost

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try. I did call to see my options, but that wasn't offered to me and it didn't occur to me to ask.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ask. UA will force space on its own metal.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:43 pm

Hi,

I have the exact same issue for the exact itinerary. The connection from PEK to REP is canceled and unfortunately, my trip is not flexible as my family is expecting me to meet in REP the same day. This is in December.

Options:
1. Change this itinerary to BKK award flight. From there, take a low cost flight to REP. But there is overnight stay in BKK.
2. Cancel this itinerary and get the MP miles refund. Booking with AA miles is possible but currently not available for the dates I am looking into.
3. Call UA to see if there are other options?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Hi,

I have the exact same issue for the exact itinerary. The connection from PEK to REP is canceled and unfortunately, my trip is not flexible as my family is expecting me to meet in REP the same day. This is in December.

Options:
1. Change this itinerary to BKK award flight. From there, take a low cost flight to REP. But there is overnight stay in BKK.
2. Cancel this itinerary and get the MP miles refund. Booking with AA miles is possible but currently not available for the dates I am looking into.
3. Call UA to see if there are other options?

Thanks!
If you are connecting in PEK rather than stopping over, perhaps you can route through ICN? As mentioned earlier, UA may be able to get Asiana to open award space for you.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by aza72
If you are connecting in PEK rather than stopping over, perhaps you can route through ICN? As mentioned earlier, UA may be able to get Asiana to open award space for you.
Via ICN, I arrive around 8:30 pm. Air Asia flight from ICN is at 7:10 pm. So not finding other options.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:52 pm

Tried calling UA. Agent suggesting to arrive in Phenom Penh airport instead of REP. That's a 5 hr drive. Will not work for me.

Unfortunately any other dates will not work for me either. Is arriving at KUL and taking Air Asia flight the only solution? I guess Air Asia is not *A partner (I got confused with Asiana).
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:52 pm

Tried calling UA. Agent suggesting to arrive in Phenom Penh airport instead of REP. That's a 5 hr drive. Will not work for me.

Unfortunately any other dates will not work for me either. Is arriving at KUL and taking Air Asia flight the only solution? I guess Air Asia is not *A partner (I got confused with Asiana).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rary-asia.html

I saw you are coming through ORD. It looks like Asiana has a direct flight to ICN that could connect to REP. I would look on google flights and filter by star alliance to find the ideal itinerary, and then call in to United to propose this. They may be willing to be flexible with award routing or get a partner to open up space given the issue with the route cancellation.

Last edited by aza72; Jun 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:05 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rary-asia.html

I saw you are coming through ORD. It looks like Asiana has a direct flight to ICN that could connect to REP. I would look on google flights and filter by star alliance to find the ideal itinerary, and then call in to United to propose this. They may be willing to be flexible with award routing or get a partner to open up space given the issue with the route cancellation.
I don't see any availability from ICN to REP. Not even a single flight in December via google flights. This is scary, maybe not showing up yet? But again, I will be arriving ICN at 8:30 pm and there won't be any early AM flights from ICN to REP.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:49 pm

I don't see any availability from ICN to REP. Not even a single flight in December via google flights. This is scary, maybe not showing up yet? But again, I will be arriving ICN at 8:30 pm and there won't be any early AM flights from ICN to REP.
Try searching for R/T, for some reason it is showing more flights.

Yes the timing is a bit unfortunate, but maybe connecting through SEA would work?

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=STAR_ALLIANCE
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Yes the timing is a bit unfortunate, but maybe connecting through SEA would work?

I figured out this trick on the R/T earlier today and called United to try to book it. Denied. I was put on hold for 20 minutes as the person searched for every way to get to Siem Reap on awards. At this point I pressed a little more, but she didn't budge.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Please note that UA awards on OZ are not available during OZ's many blackout periods, which include virtually the entire month of December (Dec. 5-31).

So those of you suggesting OZ via ICN, that's just not going to work for December (or various other blacked-out dates during the year).

The best folks are gonna be able to do is to get to an airport with direct flights to REP on a non-*A carrier. Don't think anyone has yet mentioned Dragonair via HKG, which can be booked using BA Avios. There's also Jetstar and Silk Air via SIN.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Please note that UA awards on OZ are not available during OZ's many blackout periods, which include virtually the entire month of December (Dec. 5-31).

So those of you suggesting OZ via ICN, that's just not going to work for December (or various other blacked-out dates during the year).

The best folks are gonna be able to do is to get to an airport with direct flights to REP on a non-*A carrier. Don't think anyone has yet mentioned Dragonair via HKG, which can be booked using BA Avios. There's also Jetstar and Silk Air via SIN.
^ I wasn't aware of that. Looks like the most restrictive blackout period is only on flights ex-US, so potentially could route ORD-SFO-ICN on UA or ORD-YVR-ICN on AC and then OZ to REP?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:59 am

I saw this too, but again AM timing doesn't work from ORD. I am departing from ORD after seeing off a minor to a different flight at the same time.

I am thinking to end my trip in KUL using *A and pay OOP to REP on Air Asia. Yes, it sucks to pay for luggage on Air asia and these tickets are non-refundable.

What do you think? Will UA compensate for this change?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
^ I wasn't aware of that. Looks like the most restrictive blackout period is only on flights ex-US, so potentially could route ORD-SFO-ICN on UA or ORD-YVR-ICN on AC and then OZ to REP?
As applied to UA awards, the blackout periods apply to all OZ flights, including ICN-REP. See the fare rules quoted here: Asiana Award Flights Not Showing.

If you're flying between Dec. 5 and Dec. 31, forget about OZ (unless you want to buy the seat from ICN-REP).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
As applied to UA awards, the blackout periods apply to all OZ flights, including ICN-REP. See the fare rules quoted here: Asiana Award Flights Not Showing.

If you're flying between Dec. 5 and Dec. 31, forget about OZ (unless you want to buy the seat from ICN-REP).
Thanks! I wasn't aware of the additional restrictions in the UA fare rules compared to the OZ rules.

https://us.flyasiana.com/C/pdf/Downl...CCguide_en.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.