Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Unfortunately, partner route discontinuances can happen and this presents a difficult situation. Note we are not talking about day-of-travel cancellations but rather schedule changes where service is no longer offered on the preferred day of travel.

If a partner cancels and UA can not get you there on UA-operated flights, the most common outcome is a refund.
But first, try to see if you can find alternative partners to get you there (including alternative dates), UA will re-book you but if there is a fare / mileage difference you may be responsible for that
UA can not force award space on partner flights but will on UA operated flights (even if you change partner flights)

The reality is there is no obligation to find a solution but UA agents are generally very willing to be creative (within the rules)

If when looking at alternative options, no award space is available, one can check if UA will contact the partner (via UA's partner liaison) and request new space. This is rarely successful and reports of success would be appreciated.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 22, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golferjoe View Post
UA very helpful. Had BKK>ATL in saver business with stops booked on EVA in mid-August. EVA canceled on BKK>TPE and TPE>IAH and did not offer any alternatives. I have no status and haven't flown on UA since COVID started.

If a transpac cancels, here is what I did. YMMV.:
1. Find places that UA flies from on the approximate date you want to travel. You will have to pay positioning out of pocket.
2. Make sure you can transit. Sometimes the airport website is less than helpful. For example, on the NRT airport website, it looks like baggage can be claimed, then rechecked on UA. Not true. You must fly a StarAlliance carrier, check your baggage through and you can't spend the night before the UA flight airside.
3. Once you settle on the airport, list your desired flights. It will do no good to just tell the agent, "Now what do I do?"
4, Call and get an international agent and give him the flight information and tell him that you will get yourself to the UA flight origin and your understanding is that UA takes some responsibility for canceled partner flights and will help re-booking into the same class.

Result: Booked in JN on UA2 SIN>SFO then JN again SFO>ATL. Pretty happy.
Glad you got an agent willing to change the origin in such a situation. The other thing you can do is look for BKK --> anywhere UA flies and look for partner award space. E.g. BKK-FRA and then UA can open up FRA-XXX-ATL. There tends to be space out of BKK towards Europe a lot more than to the East
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 11:11 am

Brussel airlines planned strikes, booked under United miles, option?

Hi, I got flight scheduled next week 6/24/22. I received this email from Brussel Airlines

Dear guest,

We regret to inform you that our union representatives have called for social actions on 23, 24 and 25 June 2022. At the moment we do not yet know how many flights will be impacted and how many will be operated as planned. We are doing everything possible to revise our flights schedule as soon as we have a view on the participation rate of our crews in the strike actions. We will then inform you about the status of your flight. Currently, it is not necessary to contact our Service Centre.

We sincerely regret the impact these actions have, and we thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Brussels Airlines

Do Brussel Airlines have the obligation to re-booked us on other flight? Since this flight was booked under United miles, is there any other option we can do at this point?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 22, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taikucing View Post
Do Brussel Airlines have the obligation to re-booked us on other flight? Since this flight was booked under United miles, is there any other option we can do at this point?

Thanks.
There's nothing to be done until / unless your flight is cancelled.

If that happens prior to the day of travel, UA is responsible for re-accommodating you, or offering a refund. If it happens on the day of travel, it'd be Brussels' responsibility.
Old Jun 17, 22, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post

If that happens prior to the day of travel, UA is responsible for re-accommodating you, or offering a refund. If it happens on the day of travel, it'd be Brussels' responsibility.
Keep in mind on the day of, Brussels support lines are going to be completely jammed. While Brussels is the one obligated to assist you at that point, United can assist you and on past experience there's a fair chance United will assist you, so try both in parallel to see which gets through first.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Keep in mind on the day of, Brussels support lines are going to be completely jammed. While Brussels is the one obligated to assist you at that point, United can assist you and on past experience there's a fair chance United will assist you, so try both in parallel to see which gets through first.
Agreed.

As an aside, in my favorite part of the ridiculous EC.261 legislation -- while the courts have decided that airlines can be expected to have an infinite supply of planes, pilots, and cabin crews staffed at each outstation, and therefore delays caused by a late inbound are eligible for compensation… labor disputes have been ruled out of the airline's control. Therefore, no EC.261 compensation will be due if a flight is canceled due to a strike.
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Taikucing View Post
Hi, I got flight scheduled next week 6/24/22. I received this email from Brussel Airlines
Watch for a travel waiver from SN. Might help convince UA to open up space on their metal
Old Jun 18, 22, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Watch for a travel waiver from SN. Might help convince UA to open up space on their metal

Originally Posted by mduell View Post

Got this email after I rejected Brussel's offer (next day flight), I'm contacting United.

Thank you for your response

You did not agree with our proposal. Therefore, this flight is removed from your booking.

If you receive additional emails for changes to other flights in this booking, it is important that you reply to each of these emails.

Rest assured that, in the meantime, the value of your booking remains valid and you have the possibility to make a new reservation.

We kindly ask you to contact your travel agency or our Service center to find the best solution for you.
In case you no longer wish to fly, you can request a refund via your travel agency or here.
Old Jun 21, 22, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I have friends who were ticketed in UA to fly via BRU next week. One call late, UA moved their flights to connect elsewhere. UA clearly knws about the pending labor action.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Star Alliance rebook8ng on flight cancelation

Hello. How much flexibility could I expect on an 016 itinerary where partner flight is canceled?

We have as 1K members found *A flight connections on which no award soace is currently available. Travel dates mid -Jan 2023.

Can UA "push" partner airlines to "free up" space? Lastly, can UA in order to protect the itinerary, allow a non-*A airline to be included in the revised itinerary?
This would ideally using Emirates on a leg of the itinerary.

I hope I asked my questions in an understandable fashion.

Thanks agaib8hd
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:46 am

Programs: UA
Have there been flight cancellations now, or are you worried about flights being cancelled while the travel is occurring?
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
Have there been flight cancellations now, or are you worried about flights being cancelled while the travel is occurring?
Flights cancelled on a ticketed itinerary
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
Can UA "push" partner airlines to "free up" space?
They can ask; I suspect the answer will be 'no'.

Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
Lastly, can UA in order to protect the itinerary, allow a non-*A airline to be included in the revised itinerary?
This would ideally using Emirates on a leg of the itinerary.
There is a better chance of my being named President tomorrow than there is of United putting you on an Emirates flight. UA has cancelled its interline agreements with all of the ME3; they couldn't issue that ticket even if they wanted to, and they'd have to pay cash at the current market rate.

UA can open space on its own flights. If there are no available awards on partner flights, you can ask them to work through the *A liaison, but we rarely hear positive news coming back. Your expectation should be that UA will refund the ticket.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:05 am

They can ask; I suspect the answer will be 'no'.

There is a better chance of my being named President tomorrow than there is of United putting you on an Emirates flight. UA has cancelled its interline agreements with all of the ME3; they couldn't issue that ticket even if they wanted to, and they'd have to pay cash at the current market rate.

UA can open space on its own flights. If there are no available awards on partner flights, you can ask them to work through the *A liaison, but we rarely hear positive news coming back. Your expectation should be that UA will refund the ticket.
Thanks. Just the newe I was expecting.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
what changed?

What happens if I can get to a European gateway on a UA flight with award tix but can't get to ARN on a partner airline as I was originally ticketed? Since UA no longer has a direct flight to Stockholm I have to connect somewhere in Europe and find a partner flight to my final ticketed destination. If the partner airlines don't make award seats available does UA have to buy me a seat on a flight for the last leg of my award ticket to match what I originally booked, MCI-ARN? What is UA obligated to do?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 22 at 10:13 am Reason: split post
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
What happens if I can get to a European gateway on a UA flight with award tix but can't get to ARN on a partner airline as I was originally ticketed? Since UA no longer has a direct flight to Stockholm I have to connect somewhere in Europe and find a partner flight to my final ticketed destination. If the partner airlines don't make award seats available does UA have to buy me a seat on a flight for the last leg of my award ticket to match what I originally booked, MCI-ARN? What is UA obligated to do?
You may have to look into train or purchasing a paid ticket. That is the nature of award travel.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 22 at 10:11 am Reason: split post

Search this Thread