Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, partner route discontinuances can happen and this presents a difficult situation. Note we are not talking about day-of-travel cancellations but rather schedule changes where service is no longer offered on the preferred day of travel.

If a partner cancels and UA can not get you there on UA-operated flights, the most common outcome is a refund.
But first, try to see if you can find alternative partners to get you there (including alternative dates), UA will re-book you but if there is a fare / mileage difference you may be responsible for that
UA can not force award space on partner flights but will on UA operated flights (even if you change partner flights)

The reality is there is no obligation to find a solution but UA agents are generally very willing to be creative (within the rules)

If when looking at alternative options, no award space is available, one can check if UA will contact the partner (via UA's partner liaison) and request new space. This is rarely successful and reports of success would be appreciated.
Print Wikipost

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It is certainly that. Especially having been rebooked off a flight that's still operating.
Apparently a short local hop on AC got canceled, and this is the best way they could handle the change (rather than book that short hop on UA, for example)
On the phone with Aeroplan now - but unlikely they can help. This ticket is now in neverland.

Wonder if I will be able to cancel it and get a refund at all :/ I mean - it's not a UA ticket now.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: Some, not all.
UA Award: AC have cancelled the DFW-YUL leg of my DFW-YUL-VIE itinerary, and re-routed me DFW-YYZ-YUL arriving 90 minutes after the VIE flight departs. I've reached out via twitter to look at rebooking options and have been told that I have to pay any fare/mileage difference. Is this correct?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 21H21J
UA Award: AC have cancelled the DFW-YUL leg of my DFW-YUL-VIE itinerary, and re-routed me DFW-YYZ-YUL arriving 90 minutes after the VIE flight departs. I've reached out via twitter to look at rebooking options and have been told that I have to pay any fare/mileage difference. Is this correct?
no it is not, but VIE is tough because there are no UA options. You need to find ways to VIE in I/X on partners from a European gateway (like MUC, FRA, ZRH) and then UA will get you there on UA metal w/o any additional mileage.

Best is to call and come prepared with options.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Or ask UA to get you DFW to ORD or EWR or IAD on UA, and then onwards to YUL on AC, connnecting to your YULVIE flight.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Or ask UA to get you DFW to ORD or EWR or IAD on UA, and then onwards to YUL on AC, connnecting to your YULVIE flight.
that only works if YUL-VIE is still available.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
that only works if YUL-VIE is still available.
Not true. UA can hold the space and rebook the connection.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AC? I have had some luck with LH-group airlines, but not with AC. Might work, just hasn't worked for me.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
On AC? I have had some luck with LH-group airlines, but not with AC. Might work, just hasn't worked for me.
I think OP's YUL-VIE (the one they're trying to keep) is on OS. AC doesn't fly YUL-VIE IIRC.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: ba silver
Keep in mind though that under Canadian law both Air Canada and United are required to get you to your destination on a flight departing no more than nine hours later.

The problem is that airlines don't care. They will simply tell you to go pound sand as they are not subject to any penalties. Air Canada is well aware of the law, this is just how they operate.

Your only option is to keep pushing or making your own arrangements and then sue the in a Canadian court. Most people will not do that. That's what airlines are counting on.

I know what I am talking about. As part of my job I have have friends who work at YUL for a U S. airline. They know the law and in case of cancelation will rebook on any air airline, same alliance or not.

Good luck!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Agreed. In 2019, I flew LX on a UAL award B0S-->ZRH-->BDS (Brindisi). LX dropped the ZRH-->BDS segment due to a schedule change and new flight number. When I called into fix, the first and second and third (supervisor the third time) agents all said the same thing "Sorry we don't have control over partner awards and we can only rebook if the entire new itinerary has award space". Of course the BOS-ZRH segment had no new space so the agents claimed there was nothing they could do to fix the dropped segment. I knew that this wasn't true but hit a brick wall. I got the name of the United VP of customer service from Elliott.org and emailed them directly. In my email I said that as a ticketed passenger I have the same rights as anyone else booked on LX metal: that is, United should request that LX book me on the new flight. The VP responded within 24 hours apologizing for the initial response and promised to contact LX and fix the problem immediately. Sure enough, within the next day I was reinstated on the new connecting flight.

Now, in the OP's case it is trickier as AC may no longer have a n/s flight that day connecting in time for the OS flight. I suggest investigating any/all options on AC or UAL metal that will get them there in time for the OS flight as scheduled. Unfortunately, this may include an extra overnight in some intermediate AC or UAL hub. I have accepted this alternative a number of times when there was no other available option. But it is important for the OP to have at the ready their prioritized list of alternatives. Unfortunately in the time of COVID this is a common occurrence. Last year I had 5 (!) last minute schedule changes on an international award within 4 weeks of travel. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I might add that I suggest you focus on your preferred outcome. That is it is simply to get from your point of original to VIE as close to the original arrival time as possible using the most efficient routing? Or, do you really want to preserve the transoceanic segment on OS because you want to fly them? I say this because when my flights kept on changing last year, in the in final instance I was flying Scandinavian via CPH to Croatia (Split). And, I really did not care how I crossed the pond. So I had at the ready connection points in Europe that got me to Split with reasonable connection times from many U.S. originating flights AND had available award space. United opened up space on their metal to get to Europe and after I fed them flights that worked from that point of entry, I built a new itinerary. If, for whatever reason, you really want to fly OS, I would be very surprised if OS would open up (or United would be even willing to ask for) new space on the YUL or any other VIE bound flight on your day of travel if existing award space was not already available. After all, it is an AC schedule update that triggered the issue. From my experience this is the hard truth of award travel. If you were on a paid ticket, and especially if it was on a star alliance airline ticket stock, then my guess is you would be accommodated readily on any OS flight from the US that worked from your point of origin. I say this because that is exactly what happened to me recently. I am on a UAL code share but flying LH for part of the journey. And a LH schedule change triggered a problem with the itinerary. UAL accommodated me on my choice of new LH flight, no questions asked. I doubt I would have been so lucky if it was an award ticket.
Xyzzy, artvandalay and JimInOhio like this.

Last edited by wanderlustFL; Jan 24, 2022 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
I think OP's YUL-VIE (the one they're trying to keep) is on OS. AC doesn't fly YUL-VIE IIRC.
Ah, I thought they did (or used to) ... then it might actually work
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Managed to sort via twitter, but took several attempts as various responses were given with incorrect information: no flights for the whole week, no flights on route with partners, cannot rebook unless same award level available, can rebook but have to pay fare difference.

Rerouted as DFW-IAD-FRA-VIE which was a better outcome than UA just cancelling the ticket.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Some quick guidance. I have a business class saver award on ANA. ANA has postponed the re-launch of the route (SJC-HND) so that segment had been cancelled.

I called United and asked if I could be put on the SFO-HND United flight. She stated there was no save space and I asked if she could open space to re-book me. She ended the call by stating that nobody can open saver space.

Is this a HUCA situation or am I out of luck
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Definitely HUCA, although the technical change of origin could lower your odds.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:14 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I wish I had found this thread 5 years ago… I was in the same situation as OP, but in reverse. Realized while I was in Siem Reap that my flight to PEK and from their back to US was gone. Had to take bus to Phnom Penh and spend NYE there, spend a memorable day and a half in Narita town and then go home. Was delayed a few days but had a good time. UA was able to open award space in first on ANA for me as long as I got myself to Phnom Penh first.

much better than their first idea of sticking me in Economy and flying all over the place to get home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.