Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding delays "late inbound aircraft"

Old Oct 17, 18, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-P25K, FB

I am supposed to fly UA 733 today (10/17), and it says that it was delayed due to late inbound aircraft. I was wondering how that works as the aircraft we are taking arrived early. I assume an equipment change?

What happened to our original equipment?
Old Oct 17, 18, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jlionw View Post
I am supposed to fly UA 733 today (10/17), and it says that it was delayed due to late inbound aircraft. I was wondering how that works as the aircraft we are taking arrived early. I assume an equipment change?
Yes, they swapped in a different aircraft.

Originally Posted by jlionw View Post
What happened to our original equipment?
Were you watching flight status earlier? Where was it coming from?
Old Oct 17, 18, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-P25K, FB
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, they swapped in a different aircraft.

Were you watching flight status earlier? Where was it coming from?
No, didn't keep an eye. Once I looked it was already the plane from Hawaii.
Old Oct 18, 18, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had one of those two days ago. Status said: "A plane change occurred this morning because of maintenance-related schedule distributions in Denver. Your new plane is supposed to arrive from La Guardia at 2:09 PM. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

They can be sorry but not sorry enough to make sure that you get your connecting flight. UA delivered me one hour and 8 minutes late in ORD. I ran all the way from Gate C11 to Gate F27. Missed the 15 minutes deadline by 1 minute so found the door closed. I wished that they had sent me a notification when they offloaded me, I would have stopped running. In total, there were 5 passengers from the DEN flight that did not make the connection to my destination.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 18, 18 at 8:03 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 18, 18, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who haven't memorized UA's schedule, 733 was its scheduled 14:14 departure from DEN to SFO.

Aircraft swaps are common and one of the values of the legacy carriers with large networks such as UA at DEN (or DL at ATL, AA at DFW). It is all about the best for the most.

Running for and missing a connection is frustrating, but it always pays to head to the departure gate even if one has been offloaded. Stuff happens and one can never be certain that a seat won't materialize until the aircraft pushes.
Old Oct 19, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: (former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat, HH Diamond
The United App will only show the most recent cause of the delay. There are often multiple factors that contribute to a delay and change. The new expended delay explanations help give more context.

Even though the app may only be showing the most recent cause of the delay, the entire record is still there and is used internally to track delays.

In a case where a flight is delayed due to waiting for an arriving aircraft that is actually running early or on time, something cause the delayed flight to be swapped into that aircraft but there's no way to tell, from just the app, if it was weather, maintenance, crew connection, or any number of other reasons.
Old Oct 19, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
...They can be sorry but not sorry enough to make sure that you get your connecting flight. UA delivered me one hour and 8 minutes late in ORD. I ran all the way from Gate C11 to Gate F27. Missed the 15 minutes deadline by 1 minute so found the door closed. I wished that they had sent me a notification when they offloaded me, I would have stopped running. In total, there were 5 passengers from the DEN flight that did not make the connection to my destination.
This!!!!

The whole close the door early to make whatever metric they are trying to achieve is annoying when the reason you (the pax) are delayed is caused by United. I am not talking about closing the door late, most of the time these days my flight leaves EARLY.

I appreciate they give you the warning you need to be there 15 mins before the door closes but if United caused the delay and knows where the pax are transferring from I think they should allow the connecting pax the courtesy of making the connection. Wish United would close the door for an on-time departure not an early departure.

Before some of you get on your high horse I am not talking about pushing back late.