Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Email from UA in Mexico City is legit, right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email from UA in Mexico City is legit, right?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by cjermain
On UA.com, make the reservation, and then choose to pay at the airport or a ticket office. This typically gives you about 3-4 days to pay. Which again, maybe suggests that, as you say, I got on some list for having an outstanding reservation.
If you go back to united.com, what price does the reservation now state? The original fare or $50/person cheaper?
Still not sure how someone at United could/can somehow charge less than actual fare.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Emails originating from Mexico generally have [email protected] as an address.

the .mx at the end....
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:12 pm

Okay, to conclude, I believe it is legit. However, I advise against providing your regular CC over the phone.

While I believe you will get 100% legit UA tickets at $50 less pp, you have no control over where your CC data will go after it has been processed for this transaction. Note I'm not implying this particular person is up to no good, rather I'm saying he may scribble your CC data down, toss it away in the bin when ending his shift, and there could be multiple opportunities for bad actors to recover your data from the trash after that. Also, note this is not anything specific against Mexico, this advice applies to the US as well (and any country in the world). It's naďve to think this stuff only happens south of el border.

The easiest way may indeed be to load a prepaid CC with the amount required and use that. Make sure to independently verify that the number you're calling definitely belongs to United in Mexico. Alternatively, try to find out if the published fare hasn't dropped which may explain the $50 discount, and if yes, just book online the regular way.

Last edited by mozilla; Oct 16, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
If the scammer has access to your email account it would be easy for them to see your reply to the email, then spoof another reply to appear from @UNITED.com
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by circusboy
If the scammer has access to your email account it would be easy for them to see your reply to the email, then spoof another reply to appear from @UNITED.com
Access to email account goes beyond scamming and is actually hacking. I'm not sure why a hacker would go through all these hoops for the paltry reward of 1 credit card number. There is more than enough fruit on the tree that hangs a lot lower than that.

Not to mention that he probably wouldn't need this elaborate social engineering scheme at all, chances are that access to the email account will reveal more than enough details to get credit card information through easier means which don't involve the assistance of OP.

One exception may be if the OP is really being targeted for some very specific reason, but then the OP should have noticed other signs as well.

Last edited by mozilla; Oct 16, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Although I called this a scam, and it may not be, I simply wouldn't respond to any such unsolicited requests.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I got an email from a United.com email address, purportedly from the Mexico City office. The gentleman sending the email saw a reservation I have to travel to MEX, but haven't paid for. He said he could ticket it for $50 less per person than the price on the reservation (3 people). He knew my confirmation number and the price. All I have to do is call him and give him my CC info.

It seems legit. And $150 savings is not nothing. I wrote back to him (at the united.com email address) and he responded right away.

BUT... I just hate calling someone in Mexico I don't know and giving him by CC info. Thoughts?
Do NOT give out CC info to ANY unknown individuals!

Originally Posted by docbert
How do you have a reservation that you didn't pay for? FareLock, booked via a travel agents, or what?

The more I think about it, I can see that this could absolutely be legitimate. Many companies have systems that detect abandoned "shopping carts" on websites and then try and get you back. If you walked all the way through the booking process on the website and then canceled out (leaving the reservation but without then ticket) then having someone follow up to try and get you back - especially if the fare has dropped in the interim - would potentially make sense.
One thing that does not pass my test is: Why from Mexico? Why do they care about a ticket sold in the US? In my naive understanding (which could be wrong), a sales person in Mexico is only evaluated by his/her actual revenue generation in Mexico, right?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2018 at 8:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by mozilla
So they actually use a @UNITED.com address, and you sent a reply to that @UNITED.com address and they replied from that address? Reminds me of this recent thread, where it turned out to be legitimate.

I'm not ruling out a scam, but using an actual @UNITED.com means either employee or breach*, and it's not part of the 99% of scams that just use spoofed email addresses. I'm assuming all email traffic going through @UNITED.com is logged, so if this is a rogue employee, then it won't last long.

Apply due diligence, confirm the email address on United's website (as they did in the other topic), call to a known and published number and try to get hold of the staff member that way.

*(Ok, technically it could also be DNS poisoning or malware on your end, but if it gets that elaborate, it's usually because they expect to make a lot more money than they could by selling a fake airline ticket).
very easy to look like you are using a legit email address but as was pointed out best way to stop this scam is to do nothing other than call UA direct and give them the details.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:57 pm

I would give them your cc info in a heartbeat. Mostly because it is yours and not mine and I want to know what happens in this saga.
But if it were my credit card, I would just call UA and ask about honoring the deal. I would imagine they would confirm, deny or be able to look into it more and figure it out. Might be standard practice in Mexico to email people and let them know the fare dropped and you can now book for less.
But yeah, go for and let us know the results. The worst that can happen is the card gets shut down for fraud and you have to get a new one.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
One thing that does not pass my test is: Why from Mexico? Why do they care about a ticket sold in the US? In my naive understanding (which could be wrong), a sales person in Mexico is only evaluated by his/her actual revenue generation in Mexico, right?
OP was flying TO Mexico, so at least there is a Mexican angle to the story. I agree it's still a little odd, but it makes more sense than if he was flying (say) US to Europe.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Why not call the Mexico ticketing office (from listed number on UA website) and ask to be connected to the individual.

Or if you are unable to connect to that specific agent, explain the letter to the agent on the line and see what you get.
​​
Use Skype or some other VoIP service for cheap calls (worth the effort to save $150).

Looked up their MX offices:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/reservations/mexico.aspx

Dug around some more (because what else to do at 4AM ) the office opened back in 2015 (use Google translate for article)
https://www.4vientos.mx/galeria-de-imagenes/united-airlines-inaugura-nuevas-oficinas/

Another thought: does this person have a profile on LinkedIn? Obviously that's easy to fake but a legit email and phone and online profile makes it much more likely it's a legit employee trying to convert a sale.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Oct 17, 2018 at 5:06 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
Emails originating from Mexico generally have [email protected] as an address.

the .mx at the end....
That's only if the email domain is registered in Mexico. Not applicable if they have their email address/server managed from location in the US.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Why not call the Mexico ticketing office (from listed number on UA website) and ask to be connected to the individual.

Or if you are unable to connect to that specific agent, explain the letter to the agent on the line and see what you get.
​​
Use Skype or some other VoIP service for cheap calls (worth the effort to save $150).

Looked up their MX offices:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ns/mexico.aspx

Dug around some more (because what else to do at 4AM ) the office opened back in 2015 (use Google translate for article)
https://www.4vientos.mx/galeria-de-i...evas-oficinas/
This.

I just found the office on google maps. There certainly is a UA office there .Simply call and ask for the dude. That's it....
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a road map for scammers to see how people talk themselves into believing that a fraud is legitimate. For $50.

In the time that has been wasted here, he could have called UA's standard reservations number and asked the same question. UA's systems are not siloed and there is nothing an agent can do in Mexico that can't be done here, vis-a-vis, handing out discounts.

OP will then have his answer. It is a scam, but he can certainly verify that himself.

Giving out your CC to someone who initiated the contact is, in this day, simply "suckerism" at its best (worst). There ought to be a provision that absolves CC issuers from chargebacks and other anti-fraud measures for which the rest of us pay, when the card holder participates.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
well, it sounds like the consensus is that it fishy, which i agree with.

still, call me naive, but i suspect it is legit. ... Which makes me suspect it's on the up-and-up. Plus, this is a lot of work to go through to get a credit card number.
🤷🏼.♂️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.