FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA79 To NRT - Long upgrade waitlist (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1935872-ua79-nrt-long-upgrade-waitlist.html)

chebert999 Oct 16, 2018 7:41 am

UA79 To NRT - Long upgrade waitlist

WOW it's the first time I notice this. I'm in business already and just saw that the waitlist for upgrades is 18 long with 59/60 seats booked. I'm just very surprised.

Kmxu Oct 16, 2018 7:45 am

Only 11 without counting nonrevs.

chebert999 Oct 16, 2018 7:51 am

How do you count NRs? Just curious...

Hipplewm Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am

Originally Posted by chebert999 (Post 30320752)
How do you count NRs? Just curious...

If they show up on multiple lists they are NR, regular passengers can only even be on one list and can never be on standby and upgrade lists, but NR's can

mh3265a Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am

That does seem a bit long but I've seen 5 - 9 on the upgrade waitlist for UA 803 (IAD-NRT) a number of times and that's not including non-revs.

I feel like UA has been filling up the TRANSPAC C class more and more. Also, there are certain periods of the year where paying C class is high for NRT. It might be one of those times right now.

drewguy Oct 16, 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 30320929)
That does seem a bit long but I've seen 5 - 9 on the upgrade waitlist for UA 803 (IAD-NRT) a number of times and that's not including non-revs.

I feel like UA has been filling up the TRANSPAC C class more and more. Also, there are certain periods of the year where paying C class is high for NRT. It might be one of those times right now.

Yeah, I was #13 on that flight last week and at least one rev was behind me (plus some non-revs). A bit suprrising mid-week though.

mh3265a Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 30320954)
Yeah, I was #13 on that flight last week and at least one rev was behind me (plus some non-revs). A bit suprrising mid-week though.

Fair enough! However, I find that those seats on 803/804 can often be taken up by large government delegations (either side) that buy those seats late. Didn't get my upgrade a couple of times for that reason.

WineCountryUA Oct 16, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 30320790)
If they show up on multiple lists they are NR, regular passengers can only even be on one list and can never be on standby and upgrade lists, but NR's can

While generally true, there are reasons for others to appear on both lists; such as displaced / disservice / irrops paid passengers . While this is a strong indicator of NRSA, it is not a 100% positive indicator.

bob_the_d Oct 16, 2018 11:07 am

I've been flying UA78/UA79 forever now (even back over ten years ago when it was CO7/CO8). I've found it to be one of the toughest upgrade routes I've seen for whatever reason. I think there's a lot of paid business travelers. Just a guess, but whatever the reason, I've always seen it be a difficult UG.

uastarflyer Oct 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 30320790)

I did not know that, thank you! I was wondering why I see same people on both lists in the app.

Kacee Oct 16, 2018 1:37 pm

It's not uncommon to see waitlists over 20 on SFO-HKG and SFO-SIN.

Hipplewm Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 30322070)

I did not know that, thank you! I was wondering why I see same people on both lists in the app.

As @WineCountryUA pointed out there are some outlying exceptions, but I would think they are very very rare.

mm_sriracha Oct 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d (Post 30321486)
I've been flying UA78/UA79 forever now (even back over ten years ago when it was CO7/CO8). I've found it to be one of the toughest upgrade routes I've seen for whatever reason. I think there's a lot of paid business travelers. Just a guess, but whatever the reason, I've always seen it be a difficult UG.

I'm flying UA78 on 11/25. Your comment removed any confidence that i'll get an upgrade. :(

FoxFlyer Oct 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mm_sriracha (Post 30322172)
I'm flying UA78 on 11/25. Your comment removed any confidence that i'll get an upgrade. :(

While we are over a month out from that, currently that flight is booked 29/60, and with it being the Thanksgiving weekend, not sure a lot of people are flying to Asia right after the holiday. I would be slightly encouraged!

WineCountryUA Oct 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 30322070)

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 30322118)
As @WineCountryUA pointed out there are some outlying exceptions, but I would think they are very very rare.

For more ,see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...de-list-s.html , given the number of folks stating they were on both list -- it happens enough that one cannot ignore the possibility