Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GA gave away upgrade at gate to PAX lower than me on upgrade list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA gave away upgrade at gate to PAX lower than me on upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I still would be surprised if someone turned down an upgrade
It really does happen frequently, especially on shorter routes like DEN-SJC. The issue is that there's no way to stand by for an all-or-nothing upgrade at the gate. So, if you're a party of 2, and the upgrade didn't cost you anything (and you got listed for it automatically), and they can only upgrade one of you.. many people would prefer their original seat.

There was also a thread on this board recently (and in the TalkMail email, if you get that) where somebody was trying to get off of the list for all complimentary upgrades.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
I see GAs page for upgrades all the time. I would chalk this up to a lazy GA who didn't want to have to deal with the upgrade during boarding, but nothing more sinister than that.
Yes that is most likely what happened. I respect Fastair’s approach but don’t believe that is well aligned with official UA policy - OP has a genuine issue and should pursue....
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please complain to UA about this. It's not OK.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I'm reminded of the time I arrived at the gate for BKK-NRT shortly before boarding to find the Groups 1 & 2 lines so long that they blended together. There were masses of people in the boarding area, and I could not even hear the announcements. By the time I was able to board (well into Group 2), I arrived to discover someone sitting in my BF seat. It was my one and only double upgrade, and boy am I glad that the GA didn't pass me over because I did not present myself at the gate. Even if I had heard my name paged, I could not have made it to the podium due to the overwhelming crowds!
jsloan and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm sorry, but the idea of calling people up to the podium before processing their upgrade is just completely inconsistent with how upgrades are now handled by UA.

I certainly do remember the old days of hawking the podium to make sure you weren't skipped but those ended many years ago. Now the rule is (and has been for years) that you can board and not lose your upgrade. And you don't have to pick up a new paper BP, just refresh on the mobile app. As a result, over the past few years, I've been upgraded literally dozens of times at the gate without ever interacting with the GA. And IME they like it that way. It's more efficient. They can focus on closing the flight without being distracted by endless questions about upgrade status.

Requiring that the pax be present and listening to be called runs contrary to this entire scheme. It still sounds to me like a very convenient excuse for shenanigans.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As I have seen the GA's use the paging approach, that is a high speculative statement. While we can agree the GA may have done this in a non-standard method, that is no reason to believe it was done for underhanded reasons.
if upgrade was processed in non-standard manner what other reason is there other than “underhanded”?
There is no legitimate reason to be skipped.. upgrades are supposed to be automatic per list, one cannot apply a cert that late to jump the line. Only way to be skipped would be a paying customer who buys the full FC ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jeffery352
OP here. I don't know what non-revs have to do with it either, except when I was boarding the two GAs were discussing my annoyance at them not following procedure and I kept overhearing the word "non-rev." I looked on the Standby list and the non-revs were all put into economy plus and not into 1F -- but if the GA is not following procedure for the upgrade list then there may be some more fuzziness in the process than I thought. Did the upgrade go to a paying passenger or a non-rev? Dunno -- at this point it's not worth me finding out either. I got home. I played Angry Birds. I know next time to apparently hover by the gate at T-30 when I'm first on the upgrade list if there's an open seat to make sure the GA doesn't give it away to someone else.
OP - Non-rev is, again, irrelevant in your case.

Uncommon, still it is possible for a non-rev to have a higher priority than a rev pax. But the problem is the non-rev will be still in the upgrade list. So being #1 is pretty much a clear sign that you should be the first one to upgrade.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...there is no written procedure and processing the upgrade list.
I won't say this is true at all. I believe following the upgrade priority is a clear policy/procedure that a GA has to follow. If not, I believe the GA's buddy, aka non-rev, will get all the upgrades first.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I would think the deaf community might have a severe problem with this approach....
Not to mention the incontinent.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:59 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sorry, but the idea of calling people up to the podium before processing their upgrade is just completely inconsistent with how upgrades are now handled by UA.

I certainly do remember the old days of hawking the podium to make sure you weren't skipped but those ended many years ago. Now the rule is (and has been for years) that you can board and not lose your upgrade. And you don't have to pick up a new paper BP, just refresh on the mobile app. As a result, over the past few years, I've been upgraded literally dozens of times at the gate without ever interacting with the GA. And IME they like it that way. It's more efficient. They can focus on closing the flight without being distracted by endless questions about upgrade status.

Requiring that the pax be present and listening to be called runs contrary to this entire scheme. It still sounds to me like a very convenient excuse for shenanigans.
One MUST be present to board, n'est pas? I'll see em whether they reply early or I catch them when they board. Far easier to do something once, then to have to undue it when the original seat has already been reallocated to someone else who has already boarded. Measure twice, cut once! (and yes, for the reason mentioned by others, this is why people often, especially on shorter flights, turn down single upgrades at the gate. Even more often is the onboard upgrade that gets turned down (due to a no show, an unanticipated misconnect, or someone boarding late that rejects the upgrade when they are next on the list,) so processing it prior to closure but after boarding is often chaotic. In those situations, I have the order written down and find the people in order, often holding a standby customer on the jetbridge while I free up a Y seat for them, when I find the person (in order) onboard who actually wants the UG that they have waitlisted (almost always a CPU.)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

I certainly do remember the old days of hawking the podium to make sure you weren't skipped but those ended many years ago. Now the rule is (and has been for years) that you can board and not lose your upgrade. And you don't have to pick up a new paper BP, just refresh on the mobile app.
Can you refer to a written policy? Short of that, it seems being around the podium might be prudent.

I'll politely refer to fastair's posts auto upgrades are not guaranteed
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Can you refer to a written policy? Short of that, it seems being around the podium might be prudent.

I'll politely refer to fastair's posts auto upgrades are not guaranteed
Kacee isn't wrong. There or not there, the upgrade is supposed to be given to the next person on the list. I still do that, I just verify it before doing it. Be it when called up at t-30, as you board if you're not paying attention or not there, or onboard if someone ahead of you turns it down. I'm not deviating from that, I'm just not processing them (or any other seat change) without your knowledge. I also give a choice of seat, if more than one seat is available, which is something that doing it without your input doesn't do. Yes, it's a little more work for me, but I most work RJs, so it's rare that my workload is so great that I can't do this. What DOES throw a monkey wrench is having to undo the dominos at the last minute and work backwards when a seat has been backfilled, yet a person wants their original seat back because they don't want to split from their traveling companion.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by fastair; Oct 18, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Oftentimes, GAs will call you to claim a new boarding pass. Oftentimes they will not. Either way, typically if #1 on the list doesn’t respond, the GA will go about the business with boarding, and if someone tries to board with their “old” boarding pass, the GA will be alerted and a new boarding pass issued. None of the anectodotal stories in this thread run contrary to this process nor do they explain why OP had an experience contrary to this process.

If #1 does not board, GA can then clear #2 and go find them on board and move them up to first. This has the potential to add 2-3 minutes to departure. In this case, the flight was already delayed.

At best, this GA altered protocol to alleviate the delay, assuming OP would never know. At worst, #2 was their buddy - and GA either skipped #1 entirely or made a cursory announcement then moved on. Neither is correct.

Write in.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fastair
...n'est pas...
n'est-ce pas, n'est-ce pas?
fastair and uanj like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I like to have my carry-on under the seat in front of me was often displeased by an "upgrade" (usually on a CRJ) to a front bulkhead. Give me my exit row aisle that I selected at the start of my trip.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
how are 2 pax at the departure gate without being checked in . That's a very unlikely scenario and why would the GA assume someone who is not checked would be at the gate? This makes no sense to me whatsoever.
To the OP: Definitely write it in to 1Kvoice. Keep it simple, you were #1 on the list and GA cleared #2 and you want them to investigate that.
There's a thing these days called a "telephone." Many people actually have one that's small enough to carry around with them! It's a really cool technology: you can speak with somebody who's in a totally different location. Say you're a GA and somebody hasn't checked it. You can use this "telephone" to speak with somebody who's maybe on the way to the airport (or maybe they're 1,000 miles away - who knows?) and ask them if they're still planning on being on the flight.

(Also, it turns out that this isn't a new thing. Ms. p_man told me she's been called by a GA for the same reason. Seems like it might a GS courtesy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.