FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Tarmac Construction at LAX impacting UA gates, 15-29 October 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1935800-tarmac-construction-lax-impacting-ua-gates-15-29-october-2018-a.html)

laangelsfan Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Tarmac Construction at LAX impacting UA gates, 15-29 October 2018

Received this email earlier from United. Haven’t seen this posted elsewhere. Just flew through LAX last week and did not experience this.

We’d like you to know that airport tarmac construction may impact your upcoming experience with us at LAX. Direct access to aircraft via jet bridges may be limited, and busses may be used to transport customers between their gate and their aircraft parked away from the terminal. For customers traveling out of LAX, please plan on arriving at your gate at least one hour prior to your scheduled departure time. http://ig.cdn.responsys.net/i4/respo...RS_CP__/sp.pngWe apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you on board. http://ig.cdn.responsys.net/i4/respo...RS_CP__/sp.pngThank you for choosing United.

WineCountryUA Oct 15, 2018 9:17 pm

From UA's Important Notices

Los Angeles airport tarmac construction
Due to construction on the tarmac at Los Angeles between October 15 and October 29, use of the jet bridge between the gate and aircraft may be unavailable. Instead, the airport may use buses to take travelers between their gate and the aircraft, which may be parked away from the terminal. If you're traveling out of Los Angeles, please plan to arrive at your gate at least one hour before your scheduled departure time. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Aussienarelle Oct 15, 2018 9:45 pm

I received this e-mail this morning and have a flight next week with a connection time of 47 mins which meets the MCT requirements. I called the 1K CS desk after being on the phone for 30 minutes working with an agent who did not understand the issue, especially when I asked if I should switch to a flight through SFO instead of LAX as I need to be back in SAN by a certain time and the next LAX-SAN flight would make me late and then the line dropped. I think the first agent was not a regular CS agent for the 1K desk based on the conversation but I would have persevered with him.

I then called back and spoke to a second agent and she was very thorough but she needed to investigate as no one on the 1K desk had received the information and she was going to call LAX. As I needed to teach a couple of classes I asked her to make a note on the reservation so I could call back. The second agent was great as she did this. The third agent said the notes indicated they were not experiencing delays with the morning flights so I should be fine.

Appreciated the second agent's thoroughness. Great service by her, but do think the 1K desk should have been provided this information before the e-mail went out this morning.

So sharing with others the information - for morning flights the normal MCT should be fine.

halls120 Oct 16, 2018 5:14 am

Doesn't UA know they aren't supposed to use the word "tarmac?" ;)

dinoscool3 Oct 16, 2018 6:15 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 30320333)

Shhhh, no need to bring Omni into UA!

PVDtoDEL Oct 16, 2018 11:52 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 30320333)

Now I'm curious. Why not?

SS255 Oct 23, 2018 8:10 pm

I got one of these notices for my flight on Thursday. Has anyone flown from LAX in the past week that can offer any insight?

Lani1 Oct 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Flew Sunday , Monday , Tuesday and again tomorrow out of lax
no idea - I received email multiple so far no issue

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 30348914)
I got one of these notices for my flight on Thursday. Has anyone flown from LAX in the past week that can offer any insight?

N1120A Oct 23, 2018 10:59 pm

I've not been through LAX in a while, but this is apparently affecting those flights that are supposed to be parking in the gates in the 6/7 alley, as there is construction blocking the alley. Heavy impact on Alaska's operation. If people are in T8 or on the 7/8 alley side of T7, they won't notice it.

SS255 Oct 24, 2018 8:52 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 30349322)
I've not been through LAX in a while, but this is apparently affecting those flights that are supposed to be parking in the gates in the 6/7 alley, as there is construction blocking the alley. Heavy impact on Alaska's operation. If people are in T8 or on the 7/8 alley side of T7, they won't notice it.

Right now I'm scheduled to depart out of 72A, but I know that can change. It looks like the even gates dodge the bullet.

DELee Oct 24, 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 30350552)
Right now I'm scheduled to depart out of 72A, but I know that can change. It looks like the even gates dodge the bullet.

I think you mean the "even numbered Terminal 7" gates.

David

SS255 Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 30350569)
I think you mean the "even numbered Terminal 7" gates.

David

Yes. ;)

asquare Oct 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Just went through LAX twice, no personal impact. What I did notice on the even side of the 70s was that they have narrowed the time gap between flights out of the same gate. Such that, when I arrived 1.5 hrs before my flight they were still boarding the flight before me which meant that from the time the plane pulled away to the time the next plane came in was maybe 20 minutes as I recall. When my flight was boarding, the next departure from that gate was maybe a little over an hour away. The GA was doing a great job keeping everyone up to date though verbally about the order of flights coming up, as there were a number of confused passengers who approached the GA looking for their flight not noticing that it was listed in the small print on the digital board since I think most people are used to ~2 hrs between flights at the same gate.

jparrott Oct 27, 2018 11:22 pm

40+ minutes from arriving at our remote stand this morning (UA 2154, IAD-LAX) until the doors of the bus opened at gate 72A. And luggage still wasn’t there when I got to the arrivals hall.

SS255 Oct 28, 2018 5:23 am

When I arrived at LAX at about 3pm on 10/25, all planes parked at odd-numbered gates were attached to the jetways. I departed from Gate 74, so it was business as usual.