Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
As a PHL flyer, this is bad news. And a year ago we were celebrating them upgrading this route to larger planes.
Although taking Amtrak to EWR isn't that bad, flying to IAD was nice, especially because I could go over to the TK and LH lounges. :-) Plus I just hate to see UA cutting back service at PHL
zeer0 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is taking the train to EWR really that bad? I've done it and it was fine. There are four flights from PHL to IAD right now and probably only two of them are useful for INTL connections. By contrast, Amtrak has 10 northbound trains that stop at EWR (all available from Wilmington, 30th Street, or Trenton)
When you say it was "fine" did you do it alone with carry on? Or did you have two or more other people with luggage to drag to the train and then Air Tran? Did you ever do it with children and a stroller and luggage? Did you ever have to wait two hours because Amtrak had so few trains on a Saturday night in the Amtrak station? I do not believe EWR has any kind of food court outside security either. I did the EWR-ZFV two weeks ago. UA had not issued the Amtrak ticket correctly, I spent 35 minutes on the phone and wound up buying a new Amtrak ticket at full price because Amtrak and UNITED do not always work well together.

I roll my eyes when people say, "just go to Newark".
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: NA
Seems SFO-MSN is doing quite well. But why it does not use mainline airplanes instead as E7W (only used 320 once on 30/8) which is easy to be full...(Although I don't want E7W to leave this route which is way more comfortable than mainline jets)

LAX can try using mainline airplanes like 319 to see whether it works
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PHL is an AA hub. While not every flight and route is duplicated, where is it you want to be that you are willing to connect when you could have a nonstop?

UA also interlines with Amtrak on the route. In fact, 30th Street Station even has an IATA code.

The bottom line is that UA is routinely forced to cut its traffic flow in the NE and micro-hauls such as IAD-PHL will increasingly be the first to be cancelled or substantially delayed.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:58 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is taking the train to EWR really that bad? I've done it and it was fine. There are four flights from PHL to IAD right now and probably only two of them are useful for INTL connections. By contrast, Amtrak has 10 northbound trains that stop at EWR (all available from Wilmington, 30th Street, or Trenton)
ZFV is not bad with minimal luggage. Otherwise, it won't work. Plus, with Amtrak's reliability, I often needed to build in extra "connection" time. But, the most import reasons of all, the LH & TK lounges at IAD!

LAX
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I will really miss this. PHL flights were often much cheaper than EWR, and the extra PQMs routing via IAD were nice. And yes, the TK lounge. I'd often fly LAX-IAD-PHL on the overnight, and use the TK showers.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
PHL is an AA hub. While not every flight and route is duplicated, where is it you want to be that you are willing to connect when you could have a nonstop?

UA also interlines with Amtrak on the route. In fact, 30th Street Station even has an IATA code.

The bottom line is that UA is routinely forced to cut its traffic flow in the NE and micro-hauls such as IAD-PHL will increasingly be the first to be cancelled or substantially delayed.
IAD reliability is quite good, even with extremely short routes like PHL. Newark on the other hand...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
When you say it was "fine" did you do it alone with carry on? Or did you have two or more other people with luggage to drag to the train and then Air Tran? Did you ever do it with children and a stroller and luggage? Did you ever have to wait two hours because Amtrak had so few trains on a Saturday night in the Amtrak station? I do not believe EWR has any kind of food court outside security either. I did the EWR-ZFV two weeks ago. UA had not issued the Amtrak ticket correctly, I spent 35 minutes on the phone and wound up buying a new Amtrak ticket at full price because Amtrak and UNITED do not always work well together.

I roll my eyes when people say, "just go to Newark".
I was just me with a rollaboard. Ticketing was fine as I remember just giving the res# to the Amtrak agent and they spit me out a BP.

But when it comes to multiple children, luggage, strollers, etc., a connection through IAD means an outdoor A gate with the associated stairs, going down the A concourse, getting on the elevator, getting on the lunar rover and hustling down the dreadful C/D concourse. That's not a walk in the park, either, with a family. I agree the lack of checked luggage on Amtrak can be a pain when you have little ones... no doubt.

All of that can be a lot to endure considering AA can probably get you most anywhere without a connection.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Obviously, those of use that fly UA out of PHL haven chosen this airline for various reasons as otherwise AA would generally have better connections and more direct flights, but losing IAD means flying to cities in the southeast (MCO, FLL, ATL, RDU.....) now becomes highly impractical with UA. Mostly likely we are now looking at an ORD connection.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by riphamilton
following the axing of EWR-BDL, today's EWR-MHT deletion means that the writing is on the wall for EWR-PVD.
You’ve got the summer MV/Cape traffic, big Universities (Brown, RISD, RI College), and a very nice airport. That route should be fine.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

Next up....say goodbye to the United Club at PHL
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
No word on the SFO-BDL seasonal flight? It's been there for 2 years but I can't see it in the schedule for next year. Hope it's not axed..
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Don't even think it!!! I love that club - nice friendly staff!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
This will be bad. Even worse will be something akin to JFK: "We have decided to move all our PHL operation to ZFV, where you will have a countless connection to EWR and onto anywhere in the world (and a lounge - Club Acela - to boot!)."
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by radiowell
This will be bad. Even worse will be something akin to JFK: "We have decided to move all our PHL operation to ZFV, where you will have a countless connection to EWR and onto anywhere in the world (and a lounge - Club Acela - to boot!)."
I wonder if they would move the bust of Ben Franklin to Club Acela in the event they close the UC at PHL? It really should be conserved somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.