Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
EWR-PRG is blocked at 8 hours 20 minutes.
ORD-FRA is blocked at 8 hours 15 minutes.
In that case, it's even more clear cut. FRA - PRG is less than an hour flight. ORD - EWR is over two hours.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
No More PHL-IAD Flights?

I read that UNITED is no longer flying between PHL-IAD as of January, 2019. Is that true? If so, HORRIBLE!. Please, do not say EWR is close or you can take the train. I have been using IAD for Europe and NRT for decades. Horrible to lose this. Why?????
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:41 am

Yes, it is gone in 2019. See:
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I read that UNITED is no longer flying between PHL-IAD as of January, 2019. Is that true? If so, HORRIBLE!. Please, do not say EWR is close or you can take the train. I have been using IAD for Europe and NRT for decades. Horrible to lose this. Why?????
Is taking the train to EWR really that bad? I've done it and it was fine. There are four flights from PHL to IAD right now and probably only two of them are useful for INTL connections. By contrast, Amtrak has 10 northbound trains that stop at EWR (all available from Wilmington, 30th Street, or Trenton)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
In that case, it's even more clear cut. FRA - PRG is less than an hour flight. ORD - EWR is over two hours.
You seem very sure of your recommendations, even though you're making them for someone you don't know.

I might score an upgrade ORD-EWR. No such possibility for FRA-PRG on LH.

I might need the extra PQM to make 1K in 2020.

I appreciate all opinions, but I respectfully suggest that keeping an open mind about what is "clear" or "best" is a great asset on FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've taken that flight several times in the afternoon and it was always full. Once It was delayed and I realized that I could have rented a car and driven to Dulles in about the same time. But it's nicer to sit in row 1 and have a few drinks and relax. So while I know there are alternatives to this flight, it was a nice to have.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:41 am

You seem very sure of your recommendations, even though you're making them for someone you don't know.

I might score an upgrade ORD-EWR. No such possibility for FRA-PRG on LH.

I might need the extra PQM to make 1K in 2020.

I appreciate all opinions, but I respectfully suggest that keeping an open mind about what is "clear" or "best" is a great asset on FlyerTalk.
No problem but why did you even bring it up? Also, I and I'm sure others were responding as if we were in your situation. Beyond that, obviously no one is a mind reader.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:04 pm

In one foul swoop United has ceded pretty much all market share from BWI up to southern NJ going anywhere to the East Coast and Europe with removal of the BWI-EWR & PHL-IAD routes. Options are now going to be limited to ORD to get the SouthEast for these customers - which means most likely will not choose United. Granted the lift was not great at a total of 8 RT flights a day on regional carriers but choices for customers in Maryland and Philadelphia/Lower NJ just got quite a bit slimmer on United. We all realize for NE travel it generally makes a lot more sense to take the train or drive but I have been on plenty of BWI-EWR-PVD flights over the years and really appreciated when I wasn't stuck in 12-13 hours of holiday traffic. I guess anyone in Maryland now wanting to go to Europe will need to trek over to IAD for non-stop or DCA to connect in EWR. PHL options will be relegated to Lufthansa's FRA hub and or take the train to EWR. The moves here seems to be - while not exactly the same - the entrenchment hub strategy United took when they dropped Oakland, CA; JFK and cut service to SJC.

Additionally with the cut of the LAX-DFW service it appears that United is running away from competing with American.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, this explains why my EWR-HAM flight disappeared from my summer 2019 itinerary, and I was instructed to call United for a ticket re-issue.

My ticketed itinerary was ORD-EWR-HAM-FRA-PRG with R9 on EWR-HAM, I applied RPUs for me and Mrs. Transportprof.

So will United open up Polaris space on their metal via other routings? And if so, would FT sages counsel going ORD-FRA-PRG (the connecting leg is on LH in Y), or ORD-EWR-PRG on their new flight next summer? Right now we're waitlisted for an upgrade ORD-EWR, since there was no R open on that leg when I nabbed the EWR-HAM space.

I'd really like to try the "real" Polaris seat, and wonder whether it is more likely next summer on a 777 ex-ORD, or a 763 EWR-PRG?

I normally prefer transiting a major hub in Europe enroute to my final destination. The morning arrival isn't conducive to getting into a hotel, and I find it more enjoyable to take a relaxing shower in a Senator Lounge, or the SilverKris Lounge at LHR, then have a proper breakfast in the lounge, then take a short connecting flight to my actual destination and get right into my hotel room. That would suggest flying ORD-FRA-PRG.
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes; if the agent seems reluctant, HUCA.
I doubt it. Maybe if you are GS, not if 1k. If you do get it, post here.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Business is business. Someone on a confirmed upgrade can be re-accommodated in the same class of service on UA metal after a schedule change / cancellation. If you were to try to switch to another airline, I wouldn't expect the upgrade to be honored, but on UA it's policy.
Yes, if confirmed in Polaris by any means, and a schedule change nixes the flight, UA will confirm on an alternative flight. I was booked to go LAX-SIN and confirmed an upgrade on a flight just after 27-OCT, and when the end of LAX-SIN was announced, both new SFO-SIN flights were R0. I had to call, the agent had to go to the help desk, but I'm now looking forward to another set of PJs and a dismal showing at the SFO Polaris buffet.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is taking the train to EWR really that bad? I've done it and it was fine. There are four flights from PHL to IAD right now and probably only two of them are useful for INTL connections. By contrast, Amtrak has 10 northbound trains that stop at EWR (all available from Wilmington, 30th Street, or Trenton)
Yes, it is. It takes over 2 hrs on the train and will be a connection or two before you get to EWR.

And then you also have the fun of the AirTrain to deal with at EWR.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mccullo3
In one foul swoop United has ceded pretty much all market share from BWI up to southern NJ going anywhere to the East Coast and Europe with removal of the BWI-EWR & PHL-IAD routes. Options are now going to be limited to ORD to get the SouthEast for these customers - which means most likely will not choose United. Granted the lift was not great at a total of 8 RT flights a day on regional carriers but choices for customers in Maryland and Philadelphia/Lower NJ just got quite a bit slimmer on United. We all realize for NE travel it generally makes a lot more sense to take the train or drive but I have been on plenty of BWI-EWR-PVD flights over the years and really appreciated when I wasn't stuck in 12-13 hours of holiday traffic. I guess anyone in Maryland now wanting to go to Europe will need to trek over to IAD for non-stop or DCA to connect in EWR. PHL options will be relegated to Lufthansa's FRA hub and or take the train to EWR. The moves here seems to be - while not exactly the same - the entrenchment hub strategy United took when they dropped Oakland, CA; JFK and cut service to SJC.

Additionally with the cut of the LAX-DFW service it appears that United is running away from competing with American.
This seems overdramatic. All the connectivity PHL had over IAD is replicated over EWR with UA's ZFV-EWR service.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264
Yes, it is. It takes over 2 hrs on the train and will be a connection or two before you get to EWR.

And then you also have the fun of the AirTrain to deal with at EWR.
Philly 30th Street Station to EWR station is about 1:10 on Amtrak, essentially the same as flying PHL- IAD. And you don't make a train connection unless you count that monorail to get into the terminal at EWR.
764toHI, MatthewLAX and tstauck like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I like departing from ZFV and have done in many times, but I was a regular on PHL-IAD and will miss this route. I love connecting in IAD so much more than EWR.
rittenhousesq likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:48 pm

There are other cuts that are not in the list above.
SFO-YYJ cancelled as of Jan 7th, and YYJ station closed for UA.
There may be others.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make your INTL connections in ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.