Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
We're talking about Berlin, Connecticut.
I thought it was BER-lin, New Hampshire.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I love it how the press release does not mention any of the route cancellations.

LAX-DFW is major

No surprise all of the new routes are basically routes where UA has no competition, and the routes where UA is pulling out of are the routes with competition. Duh.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Well, this explains why my EWR-HAM flight disappeared from my summer 2019 itinerary, and I was instructed to call United for a ticket re-issue.

My ticketed itinerary was ORD-EWR-HAM-FRA-PRG with R9 on EWR-HAM, I applied RPUs for me and Mrs. Transportprof.

So will United open up Polaris space on their metal via other routings? And if so, would FT sages counsel going ORD-FRA-PRG (the connecting leg is on LH in Y), or ORD-EWR-PRG on their new flight next summer? Right now we're waitlisted for an upgrade ORD-EWR, since there was no R open on that leg when I nabbed the EWR-HAM space.

I'd really like to try the "real" Polaris seat, and wonder whether it is more likely next summer on a 777 ex-ORD, or a 763 EWR-PRG?

I normally prefer transiting a major hub in Europe enroute to my final destination. The morning arrival isn't conducive to getting into a hotel, and I find it more enjoyable to take a relaxing shower in a Senator Lounge, or the SilverKris Lounge at LHR, then have a proper breakfast in the lounge, then take a short connecting flight to my actual destination and get right into my hotel room. That would suggest flying ORD-FRA-PRG.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
So will United open up Polaris space on their metal via other routings?
Yes; if the agent seems reluctant, HUCA.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
And if so, would FT sages counsel going ORD-FRA-PRG (the connecting leg is on LH in Y), or ORD-EWR-PRG on their new flight next summer? Right now we're waitlisted for an upgrade ORD-EWR, since there was no R open on that leg when I nabbed the EWR-HAM space.
ORD-EWR-PRG for more likely Polaris 763 and also more Polaris Lounges and also chance of upgrade ORD-EWR.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by findark
ORD-EWR-PRG for more likely Polaris 763 and also more Polaris Lounges and also chance of upgrade ORD-EWR.
Yes, I think the Polaris lounge in EWR plays into this equation. I was looking forward to discovering it next June.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
They've got LAX to MFR, RDM, and now EUG. I'm sure they'll get to Oregon's 4th most important airport eventually.
I can actually kind of see the logic. Its the same reason AS doesnt fly PDX-DEN.

PDX-LAX has AS, DL, AA, and WN all duking it out. And that doesnt take in to account additional service to SNA/BUR/ONT/LGB on various airlines.

If Im UA, flying PDX-LAX doesnt accomplish anything that PDX-SFO cant accomplish from a network standpoint. Yeah, UA misses out on some of the O&D but its not like the route is underserved. And anyone desperate enough to stay on UA still has the SFO connect option, crappy as that may be.

I am guessing UA and AA have figured out they can charge a premium to EUG/MFR/RDM from LAX/SFO and skim traffic away from AS while avoiding the trashed yields of PDX-LAX.
Originally Posted by PVDProf
What aircraft will they use for EWR-ANC? That's a long flight on a narrow body.
EWR-ANC is not much longer than IAH-ANC, which now has the 737 MAX on it.

Ive done the 757 on IAH-ANC and ATL-ANC. Its not a bad ride for that distance. Basically the same as EWR-Europe.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MM
Well, this explains why my EWR-HAM flight disappeared from my summer 2019 itinerary, and I was instructed to call United for a ticket re-issue.

My ticketed itinerary was ORD-EWR-HAM-FRA-PRG with R9 on EWR-HAM, I applied RPUs for me and Mrs. Transportprof.

So will United open up Polaris space on their metal via other routings? And if so, would FT sages counsel going ORD-FRA-PRG (the connecting leg is on LH in Y), or ORD-EWR-PRG on their new flight next summer? Right now we're waitlisted for an upgrade ORD-EWR, since there was no R open on that leg when I nabbed the EWR-HAM space.

I'd really like to try the "real" Polaris seat, and wonder whether it is more likely next summer on a 777 ex-ORD, or a 763 EWR-PRG?

I normally prefer transiting a major hub in Europe enroute to my final destination. The morning arrival isn't conducive to getting into a hotel, and I find it more enjoyable to take a relaxing shower in a Senator Lounge, or the SilverKris Lounge at LHR, then have a proper breakfast in the lounge, then take a short connecting flight to my actual destination and get right into my hotel room. That would suggest flying ORD-FRA-PRG.
If not in Y, I think it's best to lengthen the overnight flight and shorten the other segment(s). This way you can maximize the sleep opportunity in a true lie-flat bed. Therefore: ORD-FRA-PRG.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I was ticketed on a mileage saver Polaris ticket in June EWR HAM VIE NAP, return VIE HAM EWR. Took two phone calls on two different days almost 3 hours total to FINALLY be rebooked. Ended up getting what I wanted, but had to go waste hours, and jump through hoops.

So, sorry to see EWR HAM go.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes; if the agent seems reluctant, HUCA.
I doubt it. Maybe if you are GS, not if 1k. If you do get it, post here.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OpenSky
I doubt it. Maybe if you are GS, not if 1k. If you do get it, post here.
Business is business. Someone on a confirmed upgrade can be re-accommodated in the same class of service on UA metal after a schedule change / cancellation. If you were to try to switch to another airline, I wouldn't expect the upgrade to be honored, but on UA it's policy.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If not in Y, I think it's best to lengthen the overnight flight and shorten the other segment(s). This way you can maximize the sleep opportunity in a true lie-flat bed. Therefore: ORD-FRA-PRG.
EWR-PRG is blocked at 8 hours 20 minutes.
ORD-FRA is blocked at 8 hours 15 minutes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR-PRG is blocked at 8 hours 20 minutes.
ORD-FRA is blocked at 8 hours 15 minutes.
Although, to be fair, a lot of that time is likely to be spent taxiing around EWR. ORD-FRA is about 250 miles longer than EWR-PRG.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Although, to be fair, a lot of that time is likely to be spent taxiing around EWR. ORD-FRA is about 250 miles longer than EWR-PRG.
The difference in distance is actually explained by the lower cruise speed of the 767 vs the 777 - based on my calculations, the taxi time included in each block is probably less than a few minutes apart.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
Totally agree. will make life much better on way to Asia. Finally have a 1 stop to ICN from CMH on United. But I wish the flight back wasn't a redeye

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.