Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
TXL is Germany's capital with a larger population, bigger catchment area and more diversified economy than HAM. EWRTXL retains year-round widebody service, so my guess is it's safe, barring a major downturn.
TXL used to be 757 not too long ago. I remember flying 767 ORD-EWR and then 757 EWR-TXL and thinking that was unusual to transfer to a narrowbody for the TATL segment. Did it upgauge when Air Berlin when out of business?

Berlin metro and Hamburg metro are within 20% of each other in terms of GDP and population. If only looking at that, if HAM is cut I'd worry about TXL. Not sure how you measure catchment area. I agree that capital city status, slightly larger population/GDP, and the large tourist / arts scene all make TXL a stronger market.

Regarding DUS, Dusseldorf is only 83 minutes by train from FRA airport station, vs 4+ hours for both Berlin and Hamburg. I think that makes a huge difference, as most people are probably looking at a connecting flight vs surface sector at that point.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The deletion of HAM makes me also miss EWR-STR very much.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
About time CMH gets a SFO route.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Never thought I'd see MSN-LAX on UA. MSN-SFO must be doing really well..
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The deletion of HAM makes me also miss EWR-STR very much.
I am surprised Germany is hurting that much. Looks like LH is doing well ... hmmmm.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I think HHH is due to CHS being crammed and stuffed. They are already sharing a gate with allegiant and delta, plus using a gate for double duty (move from plane to plane) just to have 4 birds on the ground in the morning. So many passengers come to CHS and drive to SAV, HHH and MYR due to convenience as well as rental car selection. CHS has added 5 new gates, 3 new airlines and just finished a huge remodel and upgrade, but 2 months after it was complete we sirpassed the 2020 estimates and they are now starting the 2020 upgrades next month.

DL now flies 757 twice a day to ATL to help capacity as they really couldn't increase frequency any more.
HHH is due to the runway being lengthened so that regional jets can use the airport. Previously, only STOL turboprops could service HHH which is why US/AA was the only airline to fly there (from CLT).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
HHH is due to the runway being lengthened so that regional jets can use the airport. Previously, only STOL turboprops could service HHH which is why US/AA was the only airline to fly there (from CLT).

I thought they finished that a few years ago.......oh well, I just know almost every flight from CHS I talk to someone either coming from or going to HHH.

Now, lets hope they don't jack up the price too much
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold/Hyatt Explorist
10 year old me would have loved the HHH routes.

28 year old me thinks it's about time for a nostalgia trip...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
CMH now joins CVG with service to SFO. Wonder if the timing will be similar. Would be nice to be timed with TPAC bank...
Certainly what I'm hoping to see since CMH is my hometown and SFO-NRT is often an easy GPU route.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Certainly what I'm hoping to see since CMH is my hometown and SFO-NRT is often an easy GPU route.
UA1608 departs SFO 2230 arr. CMH 608+1 on an A319; currently scheduled daily starting 6/6.
UA1585 departs CMH 0705 arr. SFO 0905, also on a 319, scheduled daily starting 6/7.

Should work very well for TPAC departures westbound; it's less appealing for the return flights eastbound.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by PVDProf
What aircraft will they use for EWR-ANC? That's a long flight on a narrow body.
I was surprised to see that EWR-ANC is only 50-ish miles shorter than ATL-ANC, which Delta serves in the summer with a mix of 767s and 757s. Their domestic 757's on that route hold 199 pax. Would UA be willing to allocate a Polaris-configured 757-200 to a leisure route like ANC though?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA1608 departs SFO 2230 arr. CMH 608+1 on an A319; currently scheduled daily starting 6/6.
UA1585 departs CMH 0705 arr. SFO 0905, also on a 319, scheduled daily starting 6/7.

Should work very well for TPAC departures westbound; it's less appealing for the return flights eastbound.
Interesting, they chose times that are very different than SFO-CVG. Guess this helps prevent cannibalization and give people more options in Southern Ohio. Travel to DAY a lot from SFO and I would probably take the redeye to CMH and then the evening return from CVG.

Also, if you are flying TPAC, can fly to Asia from CMH and then when returning, go through CVG.

Last edited by ryder1650; Oct 16, 2018 at 12:11 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
I was surprised to see that EWR-ANC is only 50-ish miles shorter than ATL-ANC, which Delta serves in the summer with a mix of 767s and 757s. Their domestic 757's on that route hold 199 pax. Would UA be willing to allocate a Polaris-configured 757-200 to a leisure route like ANC though?
ATL is about one degree west of Detroit -- a lot further west than most people think.

All UA 752s have flat beds (none have the Polaris seats). And, it's a 752 on the schedule. Actually, it's an amazingly capable 752 on the schedule, because they've got it blocked at under 5 hours in each direction, which... nope.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The upstate NY shift continues, I was expecting the ELM change to happen. Now if only they will bring back BGM!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:02 am

And PSC finally gets its LAX direct! I never fly United so I’m uninformed about everything... they say it’s going to be an E175... is that still ATG4 crappy WiFi, or 2Ku/Satellite based WiFi?

Total flown distance is ~851 miles, 2 hr 31 min flight leaving PSC at 4:17pm. Would F include a meal? Or are SkyWest United Express flights more of a snack in F? The return is 2 hr 56 min but leaves at 12:51pm, which I think is outside of United domestic F meals (so snack service?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.