Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD - Can I access T5 with a UA domestic boarding pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

Hi Everyone - trying to find out more info on this, I have about 3 hours to kill while going through ORD. Can I go to the International terminal with a United domestic boarding pass? I know in LAX you can, which is nice for the lounges and shopping.

Thanks,
- Tom
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Hi Everyone - trying to find out more info on this, I have about 3 hours to kill while going through ORD. Can I go to the International terminal with a United domestic boarding pass? I know in LAX you can, which is nice for the lounges and shopping.

Thanks,
- Tom
There is a transfer shuttle bus, but they will only let you board with a valid departing T5 boarding pass. You can exit and take the train over, however, it's just not worth the hassle (then you'd have to do that again coming back). And this is coming from someone who loves lounge hopping. LAX is, IMO, the best place in the country for lounges and lounge hopping and shopping (IAD #2 to me). ORD is about as basic as it gets.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BThumme
You can exit and take the train over, however, it's just not worth the hassle (then you'd have to do that again coming back).
And that's assuming it's on one of the days the train is running. Currently it is down part of the time for maintenance (I can't remember if it's weekends or weekdays when it is running), and when it is down you have to take a landside bus to/from T5.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I agree, not worthwhile. SK and LX lounges are hardly compelling.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Agreed. T5 is not worth the trek over.

Also, no TSA Pre, so you may get stuck behind a long line to go through security. There is a separate line for premium cabin pax but you'd still go through security scan with the general public.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I agree, not worthwhile. SK and LX lounges are hardly compelling.
Not worth spending 90 minutes going back and forth for some mini hot dogs and budweiser (or gummy bears and no seat)?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tstauck

Thanks,
- Tom
Yes, you can.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone for the feedback, sounds like I'll just stay in the United terminal and check out some of the restaurants there!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Add another to the list that thinks it is not worth the hassle to go over to T5. There is plenty to do in terminals 1, 2, and 3, and you can get to all of them airside (it's around a 3 mile walk if walk to the end of each terminal/concourse). T5 at ORD is nothing like TBT at LAX.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Having done this, I can confirm it can be done.

There's one potential exception to the comments above, and that's if you're arriving on an international flight into ORD. In that case, you're going to be at T5 anyway (landside), and you're going to have to catch the train anyway, so the only real impact is one additional trip through security.

Whilst there is an airside bus from TO T5, there is no airside bus back FROM T5 (logic being that if you're connecting from T5 then you're an international arrival so you're already landside). To catch the airside bus you need to show a boarding pass or other proof that you have a flight out of T5.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Agreed. T5 is not worth the trek over.

Also, no TSA Pre, so you may get stuck behind a long line to go through security. There is a separate line for premium cabin pax but you'd still go through security scan with the general public.
Correction to this, all lanes are considered TSA Pre now. TSO's will handle it on an individual basis per lane.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ords
Correction to this, all lanes are considered TSA Pre now. TSO's will handle it on an individual basis per lane.
Aka TSA Pre lite. You would still get stuck with everyone else - at times the wait would be 30 minutes or more during the evening rush, for example. The only difference is going through security scan, but then again some TSA agents would ask you to take off your shoes anyway.

TSA Pre lite =/= TSA Pre
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Aka TSA Pre lite. You would still get stuck with everyone else - at times the wait would be 30 minutes or more during the evening rush, for example. The only difference is going through security scan, but then again some TSA agents would ask you to take off your shoes anyway.

TSA Pre lite =/= TSA Pre
Then that would be the same system as some times of the day in Terminal A in EWR. I had the experience of wasting 45 minutes in that line.

I only flew 3 times out of Terminal 5: the lines for security were always extremely long and extremely disorganized. So, no, I would never go there just for tourism.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
An FYI (I was looking for this answer recently and did not easily find it):

It works in the reverse as well. You can access T1 with a T5 BP. Great for visiting Polaris Lounge before *A T5 flights if you've got the time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
An FYI (I was looking for this answer recently and did not easily find it):

It works in the reverse as well. You can access T1 with a T5 BP. Great for visiting Polaris Lounge before *A T5 flights if you've got the time.
So that's a perfect scenario of when this would be applicable and I would argue very worthwhile. Especially if it's an airline that participates in precheck. You get a full precheck line, the polaris lounge (or any regular lounge for non longhaul J/*G), and you have the opportunity to take the shuttle bus over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.