Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding Ticket Cancelled Within 24hrs and Credit vs Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC

I recently booked two tickets on united.com and then cancelled them within 24 hours (Oct 4th). I am about 90 percent certain that I selected "return to form of payment" rather than "credit toward future travel," but I have not yet gotten a refund to my card, and when I check the cancelled flight online it gives me the option to "Use future flight credit." So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is possible or common for someone to select a refund but be issued a credit?
2) If the mistake is mine, and I selected the wrong thing, is it possible to have it changed and a refund to card issued?
3) If I'm stuck with the credits, can I combine the credits for the two tickets (issued to two people) and use on a single ticket?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! I was going to just give United a call but I imagine the call center is busy dealing with hurricane related stuff, so I don't want to bother them for another couple of days.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
2) If the mistake is mine, and I selected the wrong thing, is it possible to have it changed and a refund to card issued?
3) If I'm stuck with the credits, can I combine the credits for the two tickets (issued to two people) and use on a single ticket?
1 - I haven't seen any reports of this. The refund system is a little confusing, though. You basically get two confirmation screens.
2 - You can ask; the worst that can happen is that they say no.
3 - No; in the situation you've described, each reservation would need to be used by the ticketed passenger.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:53 am

I recently booked two tickets on united.com and then cancelled them within 24 hours (Oct 4th). I am about 90 percent certain that I selected "return to form of payment" rather than "credit toward future travel," but I have not yet gotten a refund to my card, and when I check the cancelled flight online it gives me the option to "Use future flight credit." So I have a couple of questions:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! I was going to just give United a call but I imagine the call center is busy dealing with hurricane related stuff, so I don't want to bother them for another couple of days.
Contact UA and see what they say. If you're sure you asked for a refund within 24 hours, dispute the charge on your credit card.

I can't remember the steps to cancel, but I don't even remember "credit toward future travel" as an option but I just may not be remembering correctly.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danpeake
I can't remember the steps to cancel, but I don't even remember "credit toward future travel" as an option but I just may not be remembering correctly.
It is an option.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danpeake
.... I can't remember the steps to cancel, but I don't even remember "credit toward future travel" as an option but I just may not be remembering correctly.
Yes that is a standard option. I guess there are a few corner cases it makes senses but ....
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Call into UA's Electronic Support Desk / Website Support.

Let them know you canceled the tickets within the 24 hour period but have not yet seen the refund and ask them to make sure you did everything okay. Assuming the tickets were canceled within 24 hours of booking the ESD should be able to process a refund even if the refund option was not selected when you originally canceled the tickets within 24 hours of booking.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My first question is how long ago this was. You said ‘recently’. Was that yesterday? Last week? Last month?

my experience with UA is refunds take about a week to a week and a half to show up. If you canceled really quickly, the pending charge might not clear and will just drop after 3-5 days or so. But if it was longer than say, 30 minutes the charge will clear, then a refund will post later (like I said, week - week and a half is my experience). If it hasn’t been that long, I’d wait.

other option is to check the refund status online. You need your ticket number for that - but it should show something if your refund is pending.

If course, you can always call and an agent can look into it.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Call into UA's Electronic Support Desk / Website Support.

Let them know you canceled the tickets within the 24 hour period but have not yet seen the refund and ask them to make sure you did everything okay. Assuming the tickets were canceled within 24 hours of booking the ESD should be able to process a refund even if the refund option was not selected when you originally canceled the tickets within 24 hours of booking.

Hope that helps.
It did not even occur to me to call web support, but this was an excellent suggestion! They said my tickets were cancelled but not submitted for refund. I guess I must've selected the wrong option. They checked that it was, indeed, cancelled within 24 hrs, then processed the refunds. Easy Peasy.

Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by emcampbe
My first question is how long ago this was. You said ‘recently’. Was that yesterday? Last week? Last month?

my experience with UA is refunds take about a week to a week and a half to show up. If you canceled really quickly, the pending charge might not clear and will just drop after 3-5 days or so. But if it was longer than say, 30 minutes the charge will clear, then a refund will post later (like I said, week - week and a half is my experience). If it hasn’t been that long, I’d wait.

other option is to check the refund status online. You need your ticket number for that - but it should show something if your refund is pending.

If course, you can always call and an agent can look into it.
It was a little over a week ago. The red flag for me was that I wasn't able to pull up the refund status with the ticket numbers, and also when I looked at the cancelled PNR it told me "click here to use for a future flight," leading me to believe I had done something wrong.
jsloan and BThumme like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2018 at 11:07 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It did not even occur to me to call web support, but this was an excellent suggestion! They said my tickets were cancelled but not submitted for refund. I guess I must've selected the wrong option. They checked that it was, indeed, cancelled within 24 hrs, then processed the refunds. Easy Peasy.

Thanks for the help!
Cool beans!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:03 am

Thanks for the help!

It was a little over a week ago. The red flag for me was that I wasn't able to pull up the refund status with the ticket numbers, and also when I looked at the cancelled PNR it told me "click here to use for a future flight," leading me to believe I had done something wrong.
Stumbled upon this thread.

I actually have nearly the same problem. I had a reservation for 2 pax.

I cancelled within 24 hours, and one of the pending charges was dropped from my account. But the cost of the ticket for the other pax posted.
Am unable to pull up the refund status with ticket number, and looking at manage my booking shows the "click here to use for future flight".

Thanks for posting your outcome though, I'm off to contact web support.

EDIT: Mind sharing the contact number you used?

Last edited by pentiumvi; Oct 12, 2018 at 3:02 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Stumbled upon this thread.

I actually have nearly the same problem. I had a reservation for 2 pax.

I cancelled within 24 hours, and one of the pending charges was dropped from my account. But the cost of the ticket for the other pax posted.
Am unable to pull up the refund status with ticket number, and looking at manage my booking shows the "click here to use for future flight".

Thanks for posting your outcome though, I'm off to contact web support.

EDIT: Mind sharing the contact number you used?
Sure, I don't think it's a secret number, although it was not at all easy to find: 888-491-6573. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.