Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
$1,300 for 9100 PQM seems like a decent deal this late in the year, especially if you can fly it in F. You could probably do cheaper overwater in Y, but you're paying in other ways

I think it extremely unlikely you will be bumped that much for only being 4k over (maybe if you had 24-30k PQD it would be different).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Alternatively, would there be any point in calling UA to ask if I can be granted 1K since my PQD is over $16k?

TIA
Nope, not with a 9,100 PQM difference needed. I wouldn't bother even trying. YMMV.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by findark
$1,300 for 9100 PQM seems like a decent deal this late in the year, especially if you can fly it in F. You could probably do cheaper overwater in Y, but you're paying in other ways

I think it extremely unlikely you will be bumped that much for only being 4k over (maybe if you had 24-30k PQD it would be different).
Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
So I'm definitely going to end the year 81 miles short of 1K (close to 30K in spend). I've tried to book additional flights (tried both short and cheap routes) for the premier accelerator option and the cheapest offer I've gotten is $1,850. It's frustrating that United has designed its algorithm to make these last few dozen miles so absurdly expensive. I'd gladly fork over the cost for an additional flight (a few hundred bucks), but this seems excessive. I'd also just hop on a plane this weekend, but work has me stuck at home. Pretty frustrating. Assuming United doesn't do me a solid and bump me to 1K based on spend, I'll probably fly enough for gold next year while checking out American (which flies my frequent routes).

Let me know if I've got any other options for getting to 1K this year.

Many thanks.

Last edited by nmprisons; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:01 pm Reason: got the # of miles wrong
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You will be offered a (steep, but probably not more than $500) buyup in January. However, at 81 miles short and more than double the PQD, I would give 90% odds in favor of being comped 1K.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nmprisons
So I'm definitely going to end the year 81 miles short of 1K (close to 30K in spend). I've tried to book additional flights (tried both short and cheap routes) for the premier accelerator option and the cheapest offer I've gotten is $1,850. It's frustrating that United has designed its algorithm to make these last few dozen miles so absurdly expensive. I'd gladly fork over the cost for an additional flight (a few hundred bucks), but this seems excessive. I'd also just hop on a plane this weekend, but work has me stuck at home. Pretty frustrating. Assuming United doesn't do me a solid and bump me to 1K based on spend, I'll probably fly enough for gold next year while checking out American (which flies my frequent routes).

Let me know if I've got any other options for getting to 1K this year.

Many thanks.
Well, if you've got time on Monday morning (12/31/18), IAH-LBB is $373 and you'll be back @ IAH before 2 PM.

David

edit: IAH-DEN RT departing @ 5:15 am and returning on the 1st available gets you back to IAH at 11:15 am and is showing at $331.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
You will be offered a (steep, but probably not more than $500) buyup in January. However, at 81 miles short and more than double the PQD, I would give 90% odds in favor of being comped 1K.
Thanks. This is very helpful. Like I said, I'd be happy to pay the price of a flight. I just hate feeling gouged.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Buy an Economy Plus subscription for $599. It will become useless the instant you are Gold but it will put you over the line on PQD.
When should I expect this to post and update? I purchased the $499 subscription on Dec 29, but it hasn't posted yet, and I'm still Silver.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HeelsnDores
When should I expect this to post and update? I purchased the $499 subscription on Dec 29, but it hasn't posted yet, and I'm still Silver.
When you go to "Subscriptions & offers " on your Account Summary page, do the E+ access show?

At the end of the year, processing status updates are a bit slow.

On http://mystatus.united.com , what is your 2018 PQD total?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When you go to "Subscriptions & offers " on your Account Summary page, do the E+ access show?

At the end of the year, processing status updates are a bit slow.

On http://mystatus.united.com , what is your 2018 PQD total?
Yes, it shows that I have the E+ subscription. But my 2018 PQD is still $5577, which is what it was prior to the E+ purchase.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, it shows that I have the E+ subscription. But my 2018 PQD is still $5577, which is what it was prior to the E+ purchase.
Give a few days or a week to let the details percolate thru the systems.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:36 am

If it doesn't clear up in a few days and you call the MileagePlus Service Center, here is the website you can quote at them:

"You will earn PQD for Economy Plus purchases, whether a one-time purchase or a subscription. PQD from one-time Economy Plus purchases credit to the member who travels in Economy Plus seating. PQD from Economy Plus subscriptions credit to the holder of the subscription."

"PQD from Economy Plus subscription purchases will usually credit to your account two days after purchase, or for recipients of a gifted Economy Plus subscription, two days after activation. If you have an existing Economy Plus subscription, PQD will credit two days after the renewal is purchased."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...llars-pqd.html

It doesn't say "business days", but it has only been two business days since 12/29 and one of those was NYE so I'd probably give it till early next week before I called. If there's any manual step to the process they probably have a backlog.

Email and phone contact for MPSC: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/contact.aspx

Last edited by threeoh; Jan 3, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
If it doesn't clear up in a few days and you call the MileagePlus Service Center, here is the website you can quote at them:

"You will earn PQD for Economy Plus purchases, whether a one-time purchase or a subscription. PQD from one-time Economy Plus purchases credit to the member who travels in Economy Plus seating. PQD from Economy Plus subscriptions credit to the holder of the subscription."

"PQD from Economy Plus subscription purchases will usually credit to your account two days after purchase, or for recipients of a gifted Economy Plus subscription, two days after activation. If you have an existing Economy Plus subscription, PQD will credit two days after the renewal is purchased."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...llars-pqd.html

It doesn't say "business days", but it has only been two business days since 12/29 and one of those was NYE so I'd probably give it till early next week before I called. If there's any manual step to the process they probably have a backlog.

Email and phone contact for MPSC: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/contact.aspx
Well, this is frustrating. I called the MP line on Tuesday, because the E+ Subscription still hadn't posted. The agent I spoke with was very helpful, and managed to post the PQD within a few minutes. But it's still showing Silver. So I waited until this afternoon, and called again. They just told me that I needed to wait for the status sweeps and it should definitely come through "by Feb 1."

Is it normal that it should take that long? When I hit Silver last year, it took a few days for the PQM/PQD to post, but my status updated at the same time. I have an upcoming international flight and would like to grab an E+ seat asap.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, this is frustrating. I called the MP line on Tuesday, because the E+ Subscription still hadn't posted. The agent I spoke with was very helpful, and managed to post the PQD within a few minutes. But it's still showing Silver. So I waited until this afternoon, and called again. They just told me that I needed to wait for the status sweeps and it should definitely come through "by Feb 1."

Is it normal that it should take that long? When I hit Silver last year, it took a few days for the PQM/PQD to post, but my status updated at the same time. I have an upcoming international flight and would like to grab an E+ seat asap.
If you just bought an E+ seat subscription, can't you grab the seat you want now?

David
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
If you just bought an E+ seat subscription, can't you grab the seat you want now?

David
No, I only bought the domestic subscription, because that satisfied the PQD spend that I needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.