Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:12 am

Short PQD on United with 20 days left in the year!

Somehow I ended up being short $700 PQD this year, despite reaching 100,000 PQM. Any advice on how to acquire those PQDs without spending $1,400 out of pocket? Because I would be VERY sad to lose my 1k status after three years, because I saved my company a measly $1,400 this year on flying to Asia on the cheapest flights possible...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicoleeejean
Somehow I ended up being short $700 PQD this year, despite reaching 100,000 PQM. Any advice on how to acquire those PQDs without spending $1,400 out of pocket? Because I would be VERY sad to lose my 1k status after three years, because I saved my company a measly $1,400 this year on flying to Asia on the cheapest flights possible...
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As a 1K, the only way to get 700 PQDs is to fly. However, it shouldn't cost $1400 to get 700 PQDs; more like $800, as long as all of your flights are by the end of the month. Just look for a flight that meets your spending needs, keeping in mind that you can buy a more expensive fare class than the absolute cheapest available (you can do this using advanced search on the united.com website).
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, nicoleeejean

Originally Posted by nicoleeejean
Somehow I ended up being short $700 PQD this year, despite reaching 100,000 PQM. Any advice on how to acquire those PQDs without spending $1,400 out of pocket? ..
Only two options
-- if you have a flight scheduled before the end of the year --- upfare it for the needed amount (probably about $800)
-- book a new flight (same day return?) -- book in domestic F to shorten the trip

For the later, go to Google Flights, enter your desired origin, leave the destination blank, select *A, set a date, set a price range -- again a bit above $800 and see what shows up on the map. Picking First should help inflate the price and shorten the travel time.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
I'll finish the year at:
PQM: ~26,000
PQS: 56.5
PQD: ~$9,000

This puts me 3.5 PQS and 25,000 PQM short of qualifying for Gold. However, I'll have qualified for Platinum based on PQD.

Any idea what my buy up to Gold offer might be?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
If you're short half the miles, I wouldn't expect a buy-up offer, and if you did get one, I expect it would not be cheap.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
If you're short half the miles, I wouldn't expect a buy-up offer, and if you did get one, I expect it would not be cheap.
But with $9k PQD it will be worth a call to see if they cut you a break.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:02 pm
ed3

I’m going to finish the year at 77k PQM, 120 PQS and $29k PQD.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
But with $9k PQD it will be worth a call to see if they cut you a break.
Take a look at last year's buy-ups. Nobody was cut a break who was more than 15K short, and these were expensive breaks. Go ahead and call, but don't expect miracles.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Take a look at last year's buy-ups. Nobody was cut a break who was more than 15K short, and these were expensive breaks. Go ahead and call, but don't expect miracles.
To be fair, last year I finished with 4,500PQM, 15PQS, and $2,600PQD and was still made a $1,500 offer for Silver (declined). So I think I’ll get one this time from Silver to Gold. I’m just worried, like you suggest, that it may be outrageously rich.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:19 am

Whatever it is, I am sure it will be more than a cheap round trip with 2 segments each way. Probably much more. Google flights has a few tomorrow for under $400 (starting in WAS or ORD, you would need to put your own constraints in)
twomonger likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, nicoleeejean

Only two options
-- if you have a flight scheduled before the end of the year --- upfare it for the needed amount (probably about $800)
-- book a new flight (same day return?) -- book in domestic F to shorten the trip
Can't they purchase an E+ subscription for $700? Won't get them anything but will get them over the PQD threshold.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Can't they purchase an E+ subscription for $700? Won't get them anything but will get them over the PQD threshold.
I don't believe the system allows a 1K to purchase an E+ subscription (well, except as a gift).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't believe the system allows a 1K to purchase an E+ subscription (well, except as a gift).
Ah, good to know. I guess that only works for GMs and Silvers then.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: United
So I'm dropping down from Gold to Silver (after dropping from 1k) - except I didn't realize they raised PQS to 30. So I have 26 segments and 22,277 miles. Normally I wouldn't do this, but I have two kids (one lap infant, one own seat) and the Silver is worth it to get economy plus. I do have the United Club card - but I really need access to economy plus.

Departure Airport: ORD or MKE
Miles Needed: 2723 or 4 segments
Required Spend or Budget: Under $500
Available Travel Dates: Week of Dec 17th, 26-29 (prefer a 1 day trip)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:38 pm

Google [flights] is your friend: On the 17th you can do MKE-ORD-LGA-ORD-MKE for $386 in 11 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.