Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:21 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
What happens with this? Buy 93 PQM? Stay 75k? Do a RTW MR? Thoughts?
Big difference between Plat and 1K IMHO.

This late in the year buying EQMs may not be very cost effective judging by previous years, but I have not checked.

Unless very expensive, I'd go for 1K with almost two months before EoY.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:26 am

I think it depends on your PQD, no? If you have enough PQD for 1K seems worth it to find 100 PQM somewhere. If your PQD is at $9,000 then that's a different story.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh

I think it depends on your PQD, no? If you have enough PQD for 1K seems worth it to find 100 PQM somewhere. If your PQD is at $9,000 then that's a different story.
OP's profile shows YVR. If accurate, PQD is waived.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
OP's profile shows YVR. If accurate, PQD is waived.
^ Missed that.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Other threads (with wikis) that may help
Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?
Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:26 pm

Looks like i'll be 2k pqm short of silver ... made it last year and would like it again... it may be small but even the priority on the luggae is super nice for me any ideas of the easiest way to get this? i'm fine on pqd.

homebase is BTV ... thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Looks like i'll be 2k pqm short of silver ... made it last year and would like it again... it may be small but even the priority on the luggae is super nice for me any ideas of the easiest way to get this? i'm fine on pqd. ....
Two choices
1) Fly -- see UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

2) Purchase PQMs -- see United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018] and Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Well ..... there is a third choice, purchase an annual E+ access and get an MP Explorer card credit for Premier Access and first bag fee waiver -- this combo provides many of the MP Silver benefits
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Big difference between Plat and 1K IMHO.

This late in the year buying EQMs may not be very cost effective judging by previous years, but I have not checked.

Unless very expensive, I'd go for 1K with almost two months before EoY.
Seems like a no brainer - either buy some PQM via miles accelerator or take the cheapest short trip you can find (assuming as others posit no PQD needs). Must be some day trip turn you can do for 93+ miles.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by sb3
LAX to NRT/HND is generally less expensive and often has PZ available, even if you route back through SFO. If you add SFO-LAX as a separate ticket you get another 500 or 1000 if you fly home via LAX.
Thanks! I found upgrade space to Istanbul ... so that's where I'm headed to ^

​​​​​​​
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:09 pm

Hello

It is looking like I will be short 1,558 PQD for 1k status this year. I will have 117K PQM's after all my flights this year.

If I buy an upgrade for the flight home PVG-SFO-IND will those dollars go to my PQD?
If I do nothing will I be offered at the end of the year?

I would like to get 1k before I bumps up to 15k PQD next year. Let me know your thoughts
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by __DK__
... It is looking like I will be short 1,558 PQD for 1k status this year. I will have 117K PQM's after all my flights this year.

If I buy an upgrade for the flight home PVG-SFO-IND will those dollars go to my PQD? ...
If you upfare - yes , if you pay an upgrade fee - no.
...If I do nothing will I be offered at the end of the year? ....
Maybe in mid-January, it will like be a bit more than the gap and it will not earn RDMs or PQMs like the upfare will.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hello

It is looking like I will be short 1,558 PQD for 1k status this year. I will have 117K PQM's after all my flights this year.

If I buy an upgrade for the flight home PVG-SFO-IND will those dollars go to my PQD?
If I do nothing will I be offered at the end of the year?

I would like to get 1k before I bumps up to 15k PQD next year. Let me know your thoughts
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the United threads!

As WineCountryUA said, you need to upfare to get the PQDs. To do that you need to call United and ask for a GG BUYUP to the P fare. Hopefully it's available at the price that you need and not at a much higher price like I see it sometimes. With the GG BUYUP done on the phone you don't have to pay any change fee.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the United threads!

As WineCountryUA said, you need to upfare to get the PQDs. To do that you need to call United and ask for a GG BUYUP to the P fare. Hopefully it's available at the price that you need and not at a much higher price like I see it sometimes. With the GG BUYUP done on the phone you don't have to pay any change fee.
IND-SHA has a variety of P fares published depending upon travel date and original ticketing date. Some of them are actually too low to make up the necessary PQDs (although they'd be a good start). Some of them are way too high.

OP: You can call UA and ask what the price is to re-fare into business class for that trip. I'd say "re-fare" or "change" and not "upgrade." If the agent offers you an upgrade only on the PVG-SFO flight, decline, as that's unlikely to count for PQD purposes.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Mileage Run Need 20K for 1K starting point EWR

I know there are some talented people on here.

I was hoping for a cost effective suggestion for a mileage run that will net me about 20K miles.
I know back and forth to Singapore from Newark will do it and that will cost me about $1200 if I book soon. I'll probably stay 2-3 days in Singapore. My dates are flexible.

However my question is if anyone has suggestions to net me 20K. Less than $1200. In Dec. Start and end point EWR. Please tell me if I am asking in the wrong forum. Does United 1k line entertain questions like this? I'm more than willing to make a bit of a mini vacation out of it. Spend 3 days at X location as long as I don't need to get a visa in advance. (Dual citizen have Swedish and US passports which opens up a lot of possibilities visa free)
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tnoe
I know there are some talented people on here.

I was hoping for a cost effective suggestion for a mileage run that will net me about 20K miles.
I know back and forth to Singapore from Newark will do it and that will cost me about $1200 if I book soon. I'll probably stay 2-3 days in Singapore. My dates are flexible.

However my question is if anyone has suggestions to net me 20K. Less than $1200. In Dec. Start and end point EWR. Please tell me if I am asking in the wrong forum. Does United 1k line entertain questions like this? I'm more than willing to make a bit of a mini vacation out of it. Spend 3 days at X location as long as I don't need to get a visa in advance. (Dual citizen have Swedish and US passports which opens up a lot of possibilities visa free)
You're looking for UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.