Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold/Hyatt Explorist
13.250 PQM from gold just as it looks as though travel is winding down for the year. Might have to keep an eye open for a cheap TPAC or something out of IAH
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rduflyer18
I am currently Premier Gold with 73K PQM and about 7300 PQD. In the next 2.5 months I will get to way more than the 75K PQM required, but not sure if I will get over 9000 PQD. I am taking a long haul Air Canada flight that I had to book using AC ticket, and so it won't give me any PQD.
So let's say if I end up at 90K PQM and 8000 PQD, What's my best way to get to Premier Platinum - from what I have understood so far, it could be one of:
1. Wait until January to see United will make me an offer
2. Buy/upgrade to first class tickets for any upcoming United trip, so it will count towards PQD and possibly take me close
3. Do mileage runs
I am trying to figure out which is the least costly option for me. Are there any other options? I travel mostly domestic (coast to coast), with a couple of international flights each year. Not sure spending any significant money is worth to go from Gold to Platinum.
Regards
Stay gold. With the new rules of BG and baggage, unless you consistently travel with companions (primarily family) where the 8 E+ seats at booking is a key benefit, there's little need to stretch for platinum. As a current and long time plat who is likely to fall into 1k by chance this year, the only areas I'd stretch would be from silver to gold or platinum to 1k.
windhund likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gold23
Stay gold. With the new rules of BG and baggage, unless you consistently travel with companions (primarily family) where the 8 E+ seats at booking is a key benefit, there's little need to stretch for platinum. As a current and long time plat who is likely to fall into 1k by chance this year, the only areas I'd stretch would be from silver to gold or platinum to 1k.
Yeah it's hard to see $1000 worth of extra value in Platinum.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus, Marriott
Thanks for your inputs Repooc17, Gold23, Kacee!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SkyMiles
Mileage Run or buy to 1K

When I finish my known flights this year (end of November) I will be at 92K+ PQMs. I have the spend ($12K) no problem, but next year I will need to spend $15K to make 1K so this may be my last shot at 1K
Question: is it a better value this year to ask about buying the extra 8K PQMs, assuming that is an option OR would it be better to do a mileage run? If a mileage run, what is the best value route to pick up 8K? Most likely I would fly out of DEN round trip.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Asia1
Question: is it a better value this year to ask about buying the extra 8K PQMs, assuming that is an option OR would it be better to do a mileage run? If a mileage run, what is the best value route to pick up 8K? Most likely I would fly out of DEN round trip.
It will almost guaranteed to cost more money to buy the PQMs -- all in (with required RDM purchase) it will be at least 10 cpm and maybe 12 if you purchase before the year end price raise.
A decent MR should be half that or less but that costs you personal time. Only you can make that trade-off.

As for MR ideas, see UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed and Premium Fare Deals
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Mileage run. Buying 8k PQM will cost you a lot toward the end of the year.

Hmm, ex-DEN, I'd think something connecting via EWR or IAD to the northeast or southeast would work, in paid front cabin. E.g. 1452 x 4 + 500 x 4 = 7808, depending on how much change you have above 92k. DEN-TPA via IAD in discount F looks to run $850-ish a-i and would give you more than 8k PQM. I think you can probably get someone cheaper like RDU, ATL, or RIC (not sure of the timing or whether all of those have 2-class flights for the regional hop, though) in the $650-$750 range.

Buying 8k PQM will run you significantly more than that based on my current offers being shown.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Id say definitely cheaper to fly, I'd try and find a cheap r/t to asia, like DEN-NRT alone will be over 11k miles, prob be the best use of your time too if you did a quick turn
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Id say definitely cheaper to fly, I'd try and find a cheap r/t to asia, like DEN-NRT alone will be over 11k miles, prob be the best use of your time too if you did a quick turn
If it's a simple mileage run, a r/t to Asia in Y with many planes now 10 across might seem more like torture than fun for some.

There's two options for minimum spend, IMO, as OP already has the needed PQD, and only needs 8K miles:
1) A short trip up front like exerda mentioned. Short, decently comfortable flight, using least amount of time, and least amount of effort to get the extra 8k miles.
2) Travel in Y to a desired destination far away but make the most of it, by staying there for a few days. Then at least it seems somewhat worth it.

Maybe I am just getting older, but to me a long distance, quick-turnaround Y mileage run isn't something I'll consider anymore.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
8k is an easy MR. Any chance to use SDC to bump up PQM till EOY?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Agreed. And in my opinion DEN-NRT-DEN is a very comfortable flight.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Agree with flying. DEN-NRT-DEN quick turnaround on the 787 is not bad.

Also, racking up lifetime BIS in the process is an important factor to consider.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: United 1k. Alaska gold 75k. Hilton Diamond. Marriott Platinum
If you’re close to Denver check out COS-ANC. offseason fares to Alaska. Usually cheaper out of COS plus you get the extra PQM with the connection in DEN. Spend a night at the captain cook and hope the northern lights are out that night.
exerda and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by kbs24; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:37 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:06 pm

Segment Run from Bay Area First Class

I've met the premier qualifying miles (PQM) and premier qualifying dollars (PQD) for Mileage Plus Premier Gold, almost entirely on partner airlines, and likely to hit Premier Platinum PQM & PQD. Still, I'd be two United-operated segments short of qualifying. I'm toying with the idea of buying a short first class roundtrip from the SF Bay Area to get those, and found a variety of options for around $400-600 roundtrip. Of course, this is a little different from the old mileage run idea, since all I need is segments. For example, San Francisco (SFO) to Sacramento (SMF) same-day roundtrip would be somewhat silly but would do the trick. Has anyone here optimized a similar itinerary? Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'd go to SoCal somewhere in Y on an E75 -- it's comfortable enough for two 50 minute flights and less than half the price. If you must be up front, you're going to struggle to pay much less than about $200 per direction. LAX is $183 right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.