Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd say just take a cheap weekend trip to some place you'd like to spend the night.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can one buy an E+ seat on a short segment (even though theyre gratis for Premiers)? Ive never done it, but certainly have seen an offer to do so. Might be the cheapest way to jump the hurdle.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Can one buy an E+ seat on a short segment (even though theyre gratis for Premiers)? Ive never done it, but certainly have seen an offer to do so. Might be the cheapest way to jump the hurdle.
I dont think Gold and up even gets the option to buy E+. Flying is the only option I think, and at that rate for 1K ($42) Id jump on the next plane to anywhere tomorrow.

However I still dont understand why premier accelerator and P-fare buyups dont go towards PQD. A dollar is a dollar, and those are pure profit for United.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tcp1

However I still don’t understand why premier accelerator and P-fare buyups don’t go towards PQD. A dollar is a dollar, and those are pure profit for United.
If you call United and say that you want to do a GG BUYUP to the P fare, that counts for the PQDs. If you take an offer on the web or app it does not count for the PQDs.

But I agree with you that money spent on all upgrades should count for the PQDs. I only take TODs for international long hauls and this year I spent nearly $3,000 (one to Polaris First, one to Polaris Business). And most probably, that's the amount that I will be missing next year when they increase the PQD requirement to $15,000.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 11, 2018 at 4:06 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
I'm planing my last trip of the year, and need 8000 PQM to hit 1K. However, this is based on my planned travel that includes 1 flight I am not so sure about. I am flying LHR>IAD>CUN in December and purchased an upgrade on the IAD>CUN segment from reservation page with cash. This has now booked into a P fare, and the PQM breakdown in the receipt is showing a P fare and 200% PQM.

If this actually credits as the original fare, I will need 9000 miles and my current planned travel will leave me short of 1K by 1000 miles.

Can I trust this flight will credit as P? The reservation and PQM calculation shows it as earning 200% but it was a purchased upgrade from the reservation page.

Appreciate the advice!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:12 am

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and advice

I was wishfully hoping that there would be anecdotal evidence of United having a heart and waiving the $42 PQD shortfall. Guess not. Will be jumping on another flight.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hagan73
Can I trust this flight will credit as P? The reservation and PQM calculation shows it as earning 200% but it was a purchased upgrade from the reservation page.
No. It might, and it might not, no matter what the receipt says. The T&C of the upgrade offer govern, and they state that MileagePlus earnings will be based on the original fare class. In practice, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus, Marriott
Options to get to Platinum

I am currently Premier Gold with 73K PQM and about 7300 PQD. In the next 2.5 months I will get to way more than the 75K PQM required, but not sure if I will get over 9000 PQD. I am taking a long haul Air Canada flight that I had to book using AC ticket, and so it won't give me any PQD.
So let's say if I end up at 90K PQM and 8000 PQD, What's my best way to get to Premier Platinum - from what I have understood so far, it could be one of:
1. Wait until January to see United will make me an offer
2. Buy/upgrade to first class tickets for any upcoming United trip, so it will count towards PQD and possibly take me close
3. Do mileage runs
I am trying to figure out which is the least costly option for me. Are there any other options? I travel mostly domestic (coast to coast), with a couple of international flights each year. Not sure spending any significant money is worth to go from Gold to Platinum.
Regards
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rduflyer18
I am currently Premier Gold with 73K PQM and about 7300 PQD. In the next 2.5 months I will get to way more than the 75K PQM required, but not sure if I will get over 9000 PQD. I am taking a long haul Air Canada flight that I had to book using AC ticket, and so it won't give me any PQD.
So let's say if I end up at 90K PQM and 8000 PQD, What's my best way to get to Premier Platinum - from what I have understood so far, it could be one of:
1. Wait until January to see United will make me an offer
2. Buy/upgrade to first class tickets for any upcoming United trip, so it will count towards PQD and possibly take me close
3. Do mileage runs
I am trying to figure out which is the least costly option for me. Are there any other options? I travel mostly domestic (coast to coast), with a couple of international flights each year. Not sure spending any significant money is worth to go from Gold to Platinum.
Regards
Personally, I would stay as Gold. Incremental benefits for Plat are meager at best.

With Gold moving to BG1, I am not going out of my way to renew Plat. That was the last straw.

i will finish the year with UA about $7K PQD and 120K PQM. Since most flights come from my own pocket, not
wasting more $ to UA.

​​​​​​
rduflyer18 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I need 7k pqm and $1k pqd. Tons of options of course, as I have the rest of the year open to do it. The thing is, I'd like to use RPUs before they expire, So an IAD-SGU trip (one I'm considering) would need to go through LAX instead of DEN for the miles, or split with one way in P and the other RPU'd.

I'm just fishing for suggestions. Domestic preferred, but international is fine, too. Ex-IAD. Any days work.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I need ??? UA$ for GS ... no idea how many I have since UA doesn't break that down and no idea how many I need ... so no other way than ignoring it and enjoying LH First
kittiyut likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
I need 7k pqm and $1k pqd. Tons of options of course, as I have the rest of the year open to do it. The thing is, I'd like to use RPUs before they expire, So an IAD-SGU trip (one I'm considering) would need to go through LAX instead of DEN for the miles, or split with one way in P and the other RPU'd.

I'm just fishing for suggestions. Domestic preferred, but international is fine, too. Ex-IAD. Any days work.
My go to for a mileage run is SIN. Even out of IAD its easy.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Planning to try SIN out for the first time in January most likely (and use up last 2x 2018 GPUs without having to extend them to April). Don't quite need that many miles for the end of 2018.

Sounds like I should peruse the Singapore forum and PM you for some tips once plans are more solid.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I'd like to get 2402 PQM to make 1K before flying TPAC on December, preferably ex-IAD

I have one potential trip to BOS coming up, so looking for ways to possibly creatively route that to buy some distance.

Any ideas? PQD isn't an issue for me, so preferably as cheaply as possible
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk

Agree with ya - I just did IAH-LAX-SIN and back for $750-500 e-cert. = $250 for 20k PQM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.