Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: United and American

Is there a way to get the last 300 PQD points I need to maintain my Gold status on United? I have the other requirements already.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Either take another United flight, or buy an Economy Plus subscription, or sign up for a Chase credit card that carries the PQD waiver.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swiftaw
or sign up for a Chase credit card that carries the PQD waiver.
October is a little late for most people to get the $25,000 spend. It has to be done this calendar year.

Dwatson1, Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the United threads!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:21 am

The easiest way will be to take a United flight with a minimum $300 fare so you can get $300 PQD.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by windhund
The easiest way will be to take a United flight with a minimum $300 fare so you can get $300 PQD.
To be clear, the actual money paid needs to be higher than $300 in order to hit the PQD needed. Be sure to look at the details during booking.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
To be clear, the actual money paid needs to be higher than $300 in order to hit the PQD needed. Be sure to look at the details during booking.
And the PQDs post when you take the flight, not when you purchase the tickets, so you can't buy ahead for a 2019 flight.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Either take another United flight, or buy an Economy Plus subscription, or sign up for a Chase credit card that carries the PQD waiver.
Yeah, buy an Economy Plus sub so you can get free Economy Plus next year. (Although, yes, I realize you've got to spend $300, and the minimum $499 E+ subscription may be less wasteful of time/money than a flight).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Yes, good point. The base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges needs to be $300, as you only earn PQD on these. One of the most significant carrier-surcharge one is for international flights, where the fuel surcharge can be hundreds of dollars. This means to earn $300 PQD, your total spend will be higher than $300.

From UA's PQD FAQ (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ars-pqd.html):
You earn PQD for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on eligible flights. Basic Economy and certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQD. Just as with Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS), we will credit the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
You'll need to do a mileage run, or in this case, a PQD run.

You need to ensure the base fare will give you $300 PQD and fly it before the end of the year. Total cost with taxes and fees will probably be around $350.

I'd say $350 for Gold is pretty damn well worth it, especially now that Gold gets BG1.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah, buy an Economy Plus sub so you can get free Economy Plus next year.
OP doesn't need E+ subscription...they will be Gold and will get access that way.

OP, if you have flights booked already, will they give you the PQD you need?

Otherwise, yes, the thing to do is a PQD run, or upfare an existing ticket, or decide to take a weekend trip to someplace a bit over $300 away.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hawaii is usually the most efficient source of PQD, but maybe not for this few. However, unless all your remaining travel is in the highest available cabin, you can always upfare that too.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:42 pm

Ending the year with $11,958 PQD

Average for the past few years has been $14,000 PQD and 130K PQM. This year's PQM will be around 110K, but I won't have the required PQD. These amounts already include a year-end TPAC in Z. I really don't want to do a mileage run for $42. Any suggestions, or any ideas what United's buy-in will be in early 2019?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Buy up any remaining segments not in the premium cabin, or buy up premium segments to a slightly higher fare (only feasible for domestic fare components)?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bamboola
any ideas what United's buy-in will be in early 2019?
Certainly much more than $42.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’d wager that a buy in would be well more than $42. Those also tend to be in PQM only, and in 1,000 mile increments. Even at .125 cents per mile, that’s still over $100 plus doesn’t really solve the problem. And PQM go for well more than that toward the end of the year.

Id just find a cheap mileage run, or upfare an existing segment. You can take a chance that they’d just bump you - it could happen, but I wouldn’t count on it and wouldn’t want to take that chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.