Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strange check-in experience; Uniteds take on it

Strange check-in experience; Uniteds take on it

Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I had to reread the story again to get this straight...
The check-in agent heard this entire exchange and thought nothing of it?
While I can understand the OP's reluctance to immediatley call the cops, why not at least speak to the agent about it? I can't imagine just walking away without making her acknowledge what we both heard.
Craig6z, Xyzzy and Flapjacks like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:11 pm

Don't rush to judge OP. Hindsight is 20/20.
JohnneeO and threeoh like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
The check-in agent heard this entire exchange and thought nothing of it?
I immediately thought about what she was thinking, and figured that I must be overreacting. However, after thinking it through, I started the Twitter DM conversation and asked if an agent would report suspicious behavior. Thats how I ended up making a report while also being told that all employees are well trained.

When I say that the check in agent walked away, I mean she took my bag, dropped it wherever, and was then hanging out near the Air Canada/United check in counter border.

Like Mozilla said, hindsight is 20/20, and I know I would handle it differently in the future. However, I also know that I wouldnt post about it here and be ripped apart. Im joking and fully expected it.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Good on you for reporting it. Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Why? The OP should have been more proactive. Would you tweet to XYZ that some terrorist has a portable missile launcher at the airport fence, or would you call 911? Do you run to social media during a crime in progress? I don't, and I hope in the future the OP does the responsible thing, not run to his/her phone and post something.
As mozilla said, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to gang up here, but we all have been in a position where we think to ourselves, "should I do/say something or not?" and then we make a decision one way or the other and later regret it. I have definitely regretted not calling the cops, and I've also regretting calling the cops. Sounds like OP was hesitating about what was best, took a middle road of tweeting, and now realizes that was not the best choice.

So, OP regrets not saying something to the airport check-in agent or LEO, but was posting here mainly about getting guilt-tripped by UA over the phone, and now is getting guilt-tripped by people on an internet forum. One possible result is that next time they will call 911 right away. Another possible response is they keep their mouth shut to avoid being yelled at.

I will also point out that many police departments do have a text-based system where you can support suspicious activity and crimes. UA twitter doesn't qualify but it's not unreasonable to think you could alert the authorities some way other than a voice call.
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
See something say something (to law enforcement). Plain and simple. I find it odd the UA agent didn't find it strange but turn the tables and imagine the guy really was dangerous and acted on it and an opportunity was missed to report it to LEO and have them investigate the matter.

It's not even a matter of calling 911 if you are at the airport, all airports have cops stationed at TSA and walking throughout the terminal. It should be easy to walk up to one of them after completing your check-in and recounting what just occurred and let them take it from there.

Better safe than sorry in these situations -- especially at the airport.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Hey the OP admitted it wasn't handled well by him/herself but it was inexcusable for the TA to treat the OP this way. Many better different ways the TA could have handled this. This is what this thread is about. As others posted maybe next time the OP just won't due/say anything.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:40 pm

Whatever the signs may say, travellers are not legally or morally obliged to report threats to law enforcement. So the OP should be thanked for getting in touch with someone, even if he used the wrong channel.

What I don't get is the behaviour of the check in agent. She/ he overheard the threat, in fact was included in it, and chose to do nothing? This is an employee of the airport/ airline/ contracted ground services firm. His/ her obligations are much greater than a passengers.
threeoh and nomad420 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mozilla
Don't rush to judge OP. Hindsight is 20/20.
Totally agree. I feel like there is a lot of blaming the victim going in here.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Ok, so we can (nearly) all agree that that OP didn't handle this situation in the most effective/desirable way. Even the OP concedes that and s/he has been beaten up enough on here so I won't pile on to those responses.

I will concede that I work in law enforcement but I will not say in what capacity and for which agency. I HOPE this post can help someone/anyone going forward.

We in law enforcement deal w/ bad people, bad circumstances, and bad situations every day. (we also deal w/ good people, circumstances and situations as well) It's what we sign up for, it's what we are trained in. having said that I recognize that not every person knows how to "interact" w/ law enforcement and that most of the time when you encounter us you are stressed, scared, confused, frustrated, and other myriad emotions. I "get" all of that, I'd still say tho to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call 911 and alert us as to what's going on. The caller can ALWAYS remain anonymous if they wish not to be further involved but we are going to have very specific questions for you which affect our response to the situation. Even if you don't know the answer(s) to our questions, we are going to ask you questions to determine the best outcome, how many officers to send, what speed with which to send them, which equipment they will need, etc. Like the previous poster who is an airport police officer, I will not divulge more than that. 'Sometimes a "threat" is not processed as threat, it may be something more or something less. so OP and others PLEASE JUST CALL 911 if you are ever in the same or similar situation, it's what we are here for.

In the end, I'm glad everyone heretofore appears to be safe but PLEASE contact law enforcement either on phone or onsite at the airport.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by soxfanndc; Oct 10, 2018 at 6:10 pm Reason: for clarification
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Civility Alert (or better said lack of civility alert)

Just a reminder, the purpose of this forum is to discuss UA and our travel experiences on UA. The OP related an incident and it is fine for folks to say what they would done or comment on what the UA counter agent should have done or what the UA phone agent should have done. But being inappropriately critical of the OP, or ripping the OP apart is not the behaviors that are consistent with the FT Rules (" Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.")

I suspect there are ideas purposed in this thread that may be useful to others in the future -- this is the sort of idea exchange that FT provides.

Just because things are anonymous is no reason to be uncivil.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I acknowledged that I should have handled it differently, to the agent and to all of you. I was surprised though, at how well United responded, and then sort of turned the tables saying that I went about it the wrong way.

I had removed myself from the immediate perceived threat, I was basically reporting it as an unusual occurrence because the guy was quite strange.

When it was over, I knew I had failed to do the most prudent thing, but at least I did something, was how I justified it to myself.

For those who strongly believe Tweeting a message isn’t right, do you think all of the crime stopper text tips and social media reporting mechanisms are useless?
YES those crime stopper tips are AFTER a crime has been committed. They do nothing in preventing it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 10, 2018 at 5:41 pm Reason: Per Moderator note
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I acknowledged that I should have handled it differently, to the agent and to all of you. I was surprised though, at how well United responded, and then sort of turned the tables saying that I went about it the wrong way.
Because you did. Sending a Crimestoppers tip is not quite the same. If you saw a bank robbery going on would you call 9-1-1 or send a tip to Crimestoppers for them to look at tomorrow?
Collierkr likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason these things need to be reported to law enforcement in real time is that if there really was a threat here, it required immediate action. More importantly, perhaps three other people had reported odd goings on or perhaps NOLA PD or any other agency working MSY knew of a threat and would have been keenly interested to learn the specifics.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 10, 2018 at 7:25 pm Reason: per Moderator note
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This thread belongs to OMNI ...
iluv2fly and sonofzeus like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.