Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strange check-in experience; United’s take on it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I was flying MSY-IAH-EWR and while in line at check in, a man approached me and stood inches from my left ear. He said “You better be careful in here today.” I attempted to ignore him, but then he said it again, “I said be careful in here today, both of you”. The reference to two people was the check in agent. I stepped sideways, looked at the agent, then said “What?” His reply was, “I am telling you to be careful in this airport today” so I replied “Why? I am always careful.” This creep then looked at the agent and said “I am telling you to be really careful around here today.” He then walks away, and comes back with two gun cases to check. The agent walks away as he is talking and I proceed to the TSA check point.

I felt totally freaked out. I never feel nervous in airports but this guy really got to me. I debated saying something in person because the airport was empty and I didn’t want to stand out. My solution was to Tweet United with a direct message. My thinking was if I Tweet I will be mostly anonymous, nobody will know, and they can decide if I was overreacting.

The Twitter exchange was promising. I believed United was taking my seriously and then they asked for a phone number. Sure enough they called me and asked lots of questions ranging from positioning to description of the passenger. I really felt like they were listening!

Suddenly, the agent began chastising and berating me. He told me that if I really felt like there was a threat then I should have said something to someone in the airport. He went on to say that the campaigns of “See something, say something” are supposed to be in person or to an emergency number and not social media, and that everyone should know that reporting things right away matters.

The verbal bearing continued as I just yes-ed him to no end. I acknowledged more than once that my approach should’ve been done differently, but I was completely caught by surprise. That didn’t stop him. Finally, I said well, I need to board my plane, and his final words were “Also, all airport staff are trained in security measures, so the threatening comments you perceived were your perception.”

I emailed United multiple times expressing my disappointment in the way the phone call was handled. After a few emails telling me how their phone agent’s intent was to put me down and that they are sorry, I gave up. United just didn’t understand that I wanted to applaud them for taking me seriously but that the berating rant from the agent may deter others from speaking up.

They handle broken seats and mis-catered flights better!

Last edited by Micp3208; Oct 10, 2018 at 7:41 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Seriously? You are threatened (while not a direct threat certainly an attempt to intimidate) at a local airport and your response is to anonymously tweet UA?

There is a reason there is law enforcement ALL over airports.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:09 am

I’m not sure that it would be most people‘s first choice to contact and airline via an internet messaging service if that person felt creeped out by someone.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
call the POLICE!
why would you contact United customer service over this?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I was flying MSY-IAH-EWR and while in line at check in, a man approached me and stood inches from my left ear. He said “You better be careful in here today.” I attempted to ignore him, but then he said it again, “I said be careful in here today, both of you”. The reference to two people was the check in agent. I stepped sideways, looked at the agent, then said “What?” His reply was, “I am telling you to be careful in this airport today” so I replied “Why? I am always careful.” This creep then looked at the agent and said “I am telling you to be really careful around here today.” He then walks away, and comes back with two gun cases to check. The agent walks away as he is talking and I proceed to the TSA check point.

I felt totally freaked out. I never feel nervous in airports but this guy really got to me. I debated saying something in person because the airport was empty and I didn’t want to stand out. My solution was to Tweet United with a direct message. My thinking was if I Tweet I will be mostly anonymous, nobody will know, and they can decide if I was overreacting.

The Twitter exchange was promising. I believed United was taking my seriously and then they asked for a phone number. Sure enough they called me and asked lots of questions ranging from positioning to description of the passenger. I really felt like they were listening!

Suddenly, the agent began chastising and berating me. He told me that if I really felt like there was a threat then I should have said something to someone in the airport. He went on to say that the campaigns of “See something, say something” are supposed to be in person or to an emergency number and not social media, and that everyone should know that reporting things right away matters.

The verbal bearing continued as I just yes-ed him to no end. I acknowledged more than once that my approach should’ve been done differently, but I was completely caught by surprise. That didn’t stop him. Finally, I said well, I need to board my plane, and his final words were “Also, all airport staff are trained in security measures, so the threatening comments you perceived were your perception.”

I emailed United multiple times expressing my disappointment in the way the phone call was handled. After a few emails telling me how their phone agent’s intent was to put me down and that they are sorry, I gave up. United just didn’t understand that I wanted to applaud them for taking me seriously but that the berating rant from the agent may deter others from speaking up.

They handle broken seats and mos-catered flights better!
You lost me on deciding to tweet United rather than find a cop or ANY airport personnel right away. Someone tells you several times to be careful around "here" and then they check guns and you decide to tweet United? I know it's a hard situation and I would've freaked the frack out as well, but damn.

On United's thing: ...... CS, the guy probably let his feelings get over him about you actually retweeting. Bad CS in general and badly handled but still.
COEWR2587, Coskigirl and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
This isn’t a United issue. Full stop. Ticket agents and contract staff aren’t trained to assess threats nor do they have the legal authority to take action if necessary.

This is precisely why law enforcement is available at airports, at all times. Not to pile on, but tweeting United in this case was not the best way to handle the situation.
wrp96, BlueZebra and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by EWR764
This isn’t a United issue. Full stop.
Absolutely the point. Have no clue what United has to do with this. If I saw a person being assaulted at an airport, I wouldn't be contacting United...
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

I acknowledged that I should have handled it differently, to the agent and to all of you. I was surprised though, at how well United responded, and then sort of turned the tables saying that I went about it the wrong way.

I had removed myself from the immediate perceived threat, I was basically reporting it as an unusual occurrence because the guy was quite strange.

When it was over, I knew I had failed to do the most prudent thing, but at least I did something, was how I justified it to myself.

For those who strongly believe Tweeting a message isn’t right, do you think all of the crime stopper text tips and social media reporting mechanisms are useless?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redwood839
You lost me on deciding to tweet United rather than find a cop or ANY airport personnel right away. Someone tells you several times to be careful around "here" and then they check guns and you decide to tweet United? I know it's a hard situation and I would've freaked the frack out as well, but damn.

On United's thing: ...... CS, the guy probably let his feelings get over him about you actually retweeting. Bad CS in general and badly handled but still.
I knew the agent felt my uneasiness, but she carried on until my bag tag was printed. As soon as it was tagged she walked away from him and he kept on mumbling things.

It was a weird thing to encounter. I think I could’ve just labeled him as crazy or drunk, but that would’ve been useless if something did happen.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
For those who strongly believe Tweeting a message isn’t right, do you think all of the crime stopper text tips and social media reporting mechanisms are useless?
As a mechanism to contribute to investigations well after the fact (did anyone see a red car parked out front of a bank that was robbed on October 3rd, or have you seen this person who was last seen at the park on labor day) YES it is a great tool!

But in the "something is happening NOW".... no it is a terrible avenue to use. Look at these steps:

You contacted UA,
UA contacted you back
UA also contacted local manager
Manager interacted with CSR's
CSR's interacted with you.
Someone then hopefully remembered to contact local law enforcement.

What I would argue the *normal* chain that should have been utilized:
Find a LEO, tell them... let them handle.

FWIW, MSY does indeed have its own police station.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
do you think all of the crime stopper text tips and social media reporting mechanisms are useless?
For active situations, yes.
Coskigirl, wrp96 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Agree with others, and you already acknowledged that you screwed up. Social media is certainly not the method to report what could be an active situation. The fact that UA called you asap says everything, and I agree that you should have been chastised by the agent for not taking things serious enough to speak up in the airport.

You mucked this one up big time, take it as a lesson learned.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:32 am

Based on responses here, I think OP will just keep their mouth shut next time instead of contacting UA at all!
nancypants, KathyWdrf and BThumme like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond

They handle broken seats and mis-catered flights better!
So, I'm an airport police officer of relative seniority and would have the final say on a threat made at my airport. My advise would always be to report something like that immediately to the appropriate persons - somebody on Twitter Customer Services isn't in a position to identify the suspect individual in a timely manner to then have police or other appropriate personnel deal with them. They were right to point this out but clearly there's a way of doing that and perhaps this person didn't do it in the best way.

If this had been reported to my team or my airports security department I'd have been called and would have dealt with it as a clear implied threat against the safety of the airport/aviation - aggravated significantly by the fact the subject was at least at some point in possession of firearms. I wont go into to full details of what would happen/what checks would be done as that'd be straying into operational matters which would potentially be sensitive, but it's safe to say that individual would have been found and would be in the presence of me and my armed officers until such time that I was satisfied that they weren't a threat. I doubt they'd make their flight (or any other flight on that airline ever again - the airlines at my airport will ban people for life for much less serious infractions)! There's a significant chance they'd be detained under Schedule 7 Terrorism Act for some hours too if there was anything that gave me cause to believe it wasn't just a moment of idiocy.
Coskigirl and greg99 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by threeoh
Based on responses here, I think OP will just keep their mouth shut next time instead of contacting UA at all!

Why? The OP should have been more proactive. Would you tweet to XYZ that some terrorist has a portable missile launcher at the airport fence, or would you call 911? Do you run to social media during a crime in progress? I don't, and I hope in the future the OP does the responsible thing, not run to his/her phone and post something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.