Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strange check-in experience; Uniteds take on it

Strange check-in experience; Uniteds take on it

Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:00 pm

I must remember this 10 digit number in case I am ever flying through MSY
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Aspen
Or just start shouting "Help! Police!"
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Or just start shouting "Help! Police!"
Then Mr. Crazy will tackle you.
physioprof likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey

And he was checking guns. I’m not easily alarmed, but I would have treated this as a very urgent matter for airport police.
This. I tend to be pretty laid back. I am female, live alone, regularly leave windows/doors open and unlocked. Run, cycle, hike, ski, camp alone with only a basic set of precautions. This would have freaked me out and I would have immediately been alerting TSA, police, any official I could summon. I have friends that are FAMs and would have been texting them if I didn't get the response I felt necessary. I would not have cared if I missed a flight and I would be confident that UA would have properly dealt with accommodating me on a later flight whether on their flights or another airline. Being late for whatever I was flying for is better than being dead.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I debated saying something in person because the airport was empty and I didnt want to stand out.
While we all know the general consensus, I took notice to this statement. Many law enforcement companies are starting to set up a text message notification system. Here in Delaware, they specifically used an example of a house being broken into at night with the residents sleeping and the residents being able to quietly text 911 without the intruder hearing it. I know that Amtrak Police and I believe NJ Transit Police have a texting line. Do airports or the TSA have such a system?

I may be in the minority here, but I feel that contacting ANY employee who works at the airport to be sufficient, and that includes airline customer service employees. While they are not security themselves, I would certainly hope that they are trained on how to handle a potential threat and who to contact. I work in public transportation (behind the scene) and while I am not security to police, if someone were to see my ID and come to me with a concern, I am definitely trained on some of the basics and know where to find security and police.

As for urgent notifications via social media, my issue is you don't know if they are continuously monitored.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Based on responses here, I think OP will just keep their mouth shut next time instead of contacting UA at all!
Next time? How many times in a lifetime do you think screwy things like this happen? There'll never be a next time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
I don't think the OP screwed up at all. He was the only one there and called the play the best he could.

Also:
  • TSA even says don't call 911. Call some random 10 digit number
  • The United agent wasn't calling the cops (or perhaps they know the 10 digit phone number for mall security) and was not acting as if it was an emergency
  • Not everyone likes cops, or feels safe in their presence or feel that level of escalation is the first response
  • In real time people respond without clarity of thought and purpose.
  • Some of the most adamant people on this thread who are security experts who work for I can't name it on FlyerTalk are giving bad advice
That being said, without any martial arts training I would have perfectly roundhouse kicked that guy in the face and detained him with my homemade restraints made out of duct tape while calling for SWAT backup with my free hand. Not one drop of my hurricane would have touched the floor. It's cool, I know what I'm doing. I'm an Eagle Scout.

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Aspen
Someone at MSY took The IT Crowd too literally.

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is sort of like people coming to Flyertalk with questions that they can easily figure out on the web. Then wasn't there a recent thread where a piece of the seal fell of from the wing on takeoff and the FT member posted here while in-flight to ask us if that is OK? Or, I have friends calling me when their flights go MX or they are stuck during major WX - as if I could fix it for them?

I think people somehow just revert to whatever they are most comfortable with first in a panic even though it might not be the most ideal way?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
And a clear generational difference
Some of us of "an age" wouldn't even think of tweeting
onthesam likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I recall instances on FT where satisfactory resolutions WERE indeed reached using United's Twitter account.
If some think that is the ONLY way United will actually listen, I could definitely understand why that avenue would be pursued.
(Although in this case it really did scream for a LEO to be immediately contacted, IMO)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by narvik
I recall instances on FT where satisfactory resolutions WERE indeed reached using United's Twitter account.
If some think that is the ONLY way United will actually listen, I could definitely understand why that avenue would be pursued.
(Although in this case it really did scream for a LEO to be immediately contacted, IMO)
a customer service complaint is an entirely separate issue than a security issue. This isnt even in the same ball park!

CALL THE PO-LEESE! SIMPLE EASY! DONE!

A kid my neighborhood was getting kidnapped so I tweeted my HOA about it. There was no resolution. I just dont understand why!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ditka

a customer service complaint is an entirely separate issue than a security issue. This isnt even in the same ball park!

CALL THE PO-LEESE! SIMPLE EASY! DONE!

A kid my neighborhood was getting kidnapped so I tweeted my HOA about it. There was no resolution. I just dont understand why!
Maybe you had the wrong Twitter handle. Did you try turning your phone off then turning it on again?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.