Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2018]

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2017]

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2016]

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2015]

Alternative - Award / Premier Accelerator Purchase / Personal Miles is always available and is "easiest" method; however, even with one of the regular sales / discounts / bonus promotions, it generally is more expensive than Award Accelerator. Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 up to a maximum of 150,000 miles. And there is an annual limit of 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.

Award Accelerator is generally cheaper (2.0 to 2.6 cpm is typical) but the rate varies. There is no annual limit but the offered quantities (usually 2 offers) are fixed per itin and requires the purchaser to have an active reservation to get an offer. The quantity offer is loosely related to the mileage of the itinerary. The reservation can be cancel after purchasing the miles. See the above Accelerator threads for more.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is a Japanese "exclusive" But just received UA e-mail promoting miles purchase with
up to 85 % additional miles. At the top level it brings it down to about 2.15 yen per mile. Seems
extremely urgent, expires June 20 JST. Maybe someone can find use for it. I'll pass.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It must be a variable. I got a 100% bonus offer - still not worth it IMO.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Mileage sale, up to 100% bonus, may be targeted email

Got an email says up to 100%.

If you buy 30k miles, you get another 30k for 60k total, the lowest amount you have to buy to get the 100% bonus.

Price is $1050 before taxes and fees so that would be 1.75 cpm. OK so I didn't click through to see what the taxes would be.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
1.88 cpm all in...

Originally Posted by wco81
Got an email says up to 100%.

If you buy 30k miles, you get another 30k for 60k total, the lowest amount you have to buy to get the 100% bonus.

Price is $1050 before taxes and fees so that would be 1.75 cpm. OK so I didn't click through to see what the taxes would be.
Don't have to click through...shown on the page requesting CC info. This seems to be their standard best price on sales.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:41 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Ok, so is that a pretty good buy at 1.75cpm as I have never purchased miles before. So I would assume that buying 30,000 and getting 100% would be a pretty good price since I would be using it as a one way BC saver fare to Europe.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:06 am

United offering me double points 75K miles

They offering double miles, the deal expires in three days. I buy 75K and they give 75K for $2,625.00. Is that good deal?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
They are offering that for most (if not everyone), FYI. 1.7 cents per mile isn't horrible, but it's not fantastic either. May potentially be worth it if you have a specific redemption in mind that you're short on, but I certainly wouldn't purchase them just for the sake of purchasing them.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:57 pm
eyi

Buying UA miles with 100% bonus

I'm thinking of buying UA miles to get the matching 100% bonus up to 75k miles, and I was curious about what other people think about buying miles? Do you only do so when you have a near future trip you're planning? Would you get it if you know you're going somewhere in the next year, but aren't sure where yet?

Anyone do this, but then find no availability when trying to book a trip soon after? I haven't bought miles before, just try to earn them through shopping portals and credit card spend mostly.

Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eyi
I'm thinking of buying UA miles to get the matching 100% bonus up to 75k miles, and I was curious about what other people think about buying miles? ...
While there is usually a diversity of opinions on FT, I think a high majority would recommend against stockpiling miles
  • These discount / bonus sales occur on a rather frequent basis
  • There are actually cheaper (but a bit more restrictive way of purchasing miles that is always available, Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
  • Award availability can be an issue
  • Devaluation (increase in miles needed and other award changes) happen every couple of years

IMO, buying miles can be a good deal in certain circumstances BUT buy them when you have a near-term need and you have reason to believe you will be successful in making the award booking

Miles are not like wine, they don't get better with age.
getagb likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2018 at 11:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:33 pm
eyi

Thank you!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Additional Mile Purchase

Is the purchase of additional mileage so that a reward ticket can be used considered PQD?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Nope.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.