Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No longer eligible for a CPU if I switch to an earlier flight?

No longer eligible for a CPU if I switch to an earlier flight?

Old Oct 9, 18, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I have never had the agent add me to the upgrade list without prompting when clearing standby, which is always (?) done by GA's.
A really good GA will note your status and process the upgrade without prompting, but apparently that's something of a rarity these days.
Old Oct 9, 18, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
A really good GA will note your status and process the upgrade without prompting, but apparently that's something of a rarity these days.
Re: rarity indeed, and possibly another thing I can blame on D0.
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
great thread and learned a lot. Guess I have been getting those not so good GAs.
Old Oct 9, 18, 7:35 pm

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
The real lesson here is take out your phone and SDC, then things are a lot more automatic
Old Oct 9, 18, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR LTPP, Amex Plat
did you pay for the SDS as a Silver? Was your booking class available? Was SDC an option?
Old Oct 9, 18, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
The real lesson here is take out your phone and SDC, then things are a lot more automatic
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
did you pay for the SDS as a Silver? Was your booking class available? Was SDC an option?
The flight was under gate control —
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
I first went to the United club to see if they could do the change, but since boarding had already started (or was about to) they couldn't do the change as it was "restricted." So I had to go to the gate.
— so 'normal' SDC would not have been available. If it were not, the Club agent, as well as the app, could have done it (subject to all the SDC rules).
Old Oct 9, 18, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
That's exactly what happened. I saw the GA first print out a standby ticket and then immediately print out my new boarding pass.
OK, then as far as I understand it, that's the correct behavior. The idea is that you shouldn't be able to standby on a flight, clear into economy (presuming the GA does the standby list first), and then trump someone who was on the upgrade list and take their seat. IMHO, what you experienced is exactly how it should work. (Mind you, you can generally do exactly that with SDC presuming there's seats available, so...)

Of course, as I said before, if F is going out with empty seats then the GA should make an exception and move you up...
Old Oct 9, 18, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA silver; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
OK, then as far as I understand it, that's the correct behavior. The idea is that you shouldn't be able to standby on a flight, clear into economy (presuming the GA does the standby list first), and then trump someone who was on the upgrade list and take their seat. IMHO, what you experienced is exactly how it should work. (Mind you, you can generally do exactly that with SDC presuming there's seats available, so...)

Of course, as I said before, if F is going out with empty seats then the GA should make an exception and move you up...
That does make sense. I didn't go to the GA and specifically request to change flights via going on standby...just asked to be moved to that flight. As I said, the flight was half empty so I knew it wouldn't be a problem. So either that was just the way he chose to process the change or at that point maybe it's the only way. I think this was the first time I've changed a flight where first class was so empty and I would have had a sure chance at an upgrade. Slam dunk upgrades for silvers come along once every other blue moon, so it was annoying to see those empty seats in F while I was back in economy (even if I did have the whole exit row to myself)!
Old Oct 9, 18, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Having said all that, if F has spare seats and there's nobody on the upgrade list, there's no excuse for not bumping you up...
OP would have had to been on the list first. If the OP wasn't on the list (via the GA adding them, or automatically when the change was done), agent wouldn't have known to upgrade.

Now perhaps GA should have been proactive and noticed the status and added them to the list/clear them (whether that was in a single step, or two distinct ones). That's a different subject. But no, one wouldn't get 'bumped up'.
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
OP would have had to been on the list first. If the OP wasn't on the list (via the GA adding them, or automatically when the change was done), agent wouldn't have known to upgrade.
The OP stated he mentioned it to the GA and was denied.
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K, HH-Gold, MR/SPG - Gold, HY-Explorist
If processed as a standby, you have to clear into the flight before a GA will add you to the upgrade list. In my experience, even when it is clear that I will clear the standby list (such as when I am first and there are multiple seats left), the GA will clear all upgrades first before clearing the standbys, so even if I would have cleared to F if I could have gotten on the list, you usually end up sitting in Economy. On the other hand, I am usually so pleased that I have a seat at all, and usually I can get a decent E+ seat that opened up by the person cleared to F, I am usually ok with it. In this case though with empty F seats, like the OP, I would have also been quite miffed about it, perhaps undeservedly, but I think that is the normal human response.