Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre disappears after upgrade {name formatting issue?}

Old Oct 7, 18, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

Hey folks,

I've searched through the threads and haven't seen this particular issue before so I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light.

Ever since I renewed my Global Entry membership in February, I've suffered from this weird glitch in the United system that strips the TSA Pre designation from my boarding pass whenever an upgrade clears. This happens when I get upgraded before check-in, and it happens when I get upgraded after check-in. It never happens when I don't get upgraded; my TSA Pre always shows up.

I've had some success in getting phone agents to fix it on the back end and re-issue the boarding pass, but that usually involves a lengthy conversation and multiple attempts, along with conflicting explanations as to what went wrong. I just want it fixed!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:41 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
While this doesn't fix the problem, just keep the pre-upgrade boarding pass as a snapshot and use that to pass security.
Kannai and Spiff like this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Check if your TT# number is being dropped.

If clearing after check-in, have you tried to recheck-in yourself?
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA View Post
While this doesn't fix the problem, just keep the pre-upgrade boarding pass as a snapshot and use that to pass security.
Yes, that's a good suggestion when the upgrade happens post original check-in. Today I got upgraded before I checked in so I don't have an original BP.
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Check if your TT# number is being dropped.

If clearing after check-in, have you tried to recheck-in yourself?
The number is definitely there, and it's the correct number.
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
wow, that's really weird.
Old Oct 7, 18, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I am almost 100% sure that it only happens with CPUs - not with a regular MP upgrade.
Old Oct 7, 18, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by TA View Post
Possibly worth a try, but I suspect that when the TSA agent scans the BP, it will flag you as not entitled to TSA Pre on your up-to-date record even though it says TSA Pre on the paper copy.
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Possibly worth a try, but I suspect that when the TSA agent scans the BP, it will flag you as not entitled to TSA Pre on your up-to-date record even though it says TSA Pre on the paper copy.
That is a reasonable suspicion, but it is not what happens.
adambadam, Kannai, findark and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
The TSA scanners are offline, they can't lookup anything on an up to date record.
Old Oct 7, 18, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
That is a reasonable suspicion, but it is not what happens.
On a similar note, unless they're using the new system that been trialed at ORD and other airports (ID scan to find flight information), I don't think the scanner connects to the airline systems at all to verify the flight info? I'm assuming it's all encoded in the QR code with flight & precheck information.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The TSA scanners are offline, they can't lookup anything on an up to date record.
Just saw this reply after my previous one. The last few times I've departed through ORD T2, they have been trialing a system that scans your ID and then verifies you have an actual flight;they don't scan your BP at all in that case. I'm assuming that system is online connecting to the airline systems. The other option is that is takes a download periodically throughout the day, but that could cause problems with last minute bookings, so that new system is probably online.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 18 at 7:20 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The screen shot idea will not work. You may print out a paper BP and use that for the checkpoint, but the TSA readers don't recognize screen shots. As others note, if you happen to go through one of the rapidly-expanding checkpoints which are linked to the carriers and thus do not read a BP at all, this also won't work.

I would call UA web services and ask for assistance. The regular customer service people will simply give you the standard line about Pre-Check not being guaranteed. While that is true and there is a very remote possibility that you are deselected when a new BP is issued, it is laughably remote if it has happened more than once.
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The screen shot idea will not work. You may print out a paper BP and use that for the checkpoint, but the TSA readers don't recognize screen shots. .....

I very commonly screen save my UA BP and use that at security checkpoints and UA gates. Never have had an issue. I do this to avoid the occasional slow response / loss of connectivity of the UA app.
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
the TSA readers don't recognize screen shots
Of course they do. It's the same image. What do you think uploading a bp to your wallet is?
Old Oct 7, 18, 9:16 pm

Not sure if this could be the same type of issue but I had an upgrade on a second leg, first leg originating in YYZ. BP came up with the dreaded SSSS. How do you get SSSS when you have GE?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: