Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1st on upgrade list (RPU), place available - but no upgrade?!

Old Oct 7, 18, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing

Came in LHR-ORD-SAN the other day, and applied an RPU to the ORD-SAN segment.
LHR flight was delayed, so my current seat (exit row aisle) was given to someone else, and when I got to the the gate I was assigned a middle seat.
As I board (one of the last passengers), I see two open seats in first.
Another guy that came from LHR flight with me and was 1st on upgrade list is seated in e+, and then moved up - so now I'm 1st in line (according to United app) - and there's still one seat open.
I never got that seat.

Is this how things 'should' be?
I'm plat, the other guy is 1k.
Old Oct 7, 18, 12:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The 1K on a GPU (or RPU or miles) or on YBM fare will be about a Plat on RPU.

Did the flight depart with a empty seat in F? There are other reasons the seat may have been filled without appearing on the upgrade list
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Did the flight depart with a empty seat in F? There are other reasons the seat may have been filled without appearing on the upgrade list
I'm 99% sure it departed w/ empty seat in F. The 1K guy had priority over me (we spoke, so I know he was cleared before the delay) - my only question is why I wasn't upgraded w/ an open seat
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranshe View Post
I'm 99% sure it departed w/ empty seat in F. The 1K guy had priority over me (we spoke, so I know he was cleared before the delay) - my only question is why I wasn't upgraded w/ an open seat
Sometimes they have an in-op seat; sometimes they just forget to run the list. If there was an empty seat on the seat map, I'd write in and ask.
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ranshe View Post
GA may have been waiting for a late arriving F passenger ("a runner") who missed connection and the GA rushed to get the flight out.
A small chance the seat was marked inop

This happens occasionally and you will get you RPU back although you probably would have preferred the upgrade. You can email a compliant (and if the seat was empty) and get a small ETC or miles compensation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: