Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A piece of engine just flew off... UA 933 (FRA-IAD) 7 Oct 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A G, United MP Premier 1K

I'm on UA 933 (777-200) and a small piece of material flew off the right engine as we were accelerating for takeoff. The pilot came to see and reassured me it was just a piece of rubber and not dangerous. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about but am wondering if there is an engine technician among you who could confirm. The piece is (was) part of a long line running along the piece that holds the engine attached to the wing. The rest of that line is dark/a bit burnt. I have a photo but can't upload on United wifi. 😅
gregoryad likes this.

Last edited by Juju2014; Oct 7, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Juju2014
I'm on UA 933 (777-200) and a small piece of material flew off the right engine as we were accelerating for takeoff. The pilot came to see and reassured me if was just a piece of rubber and not dangerous. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about but am wondering if there is an engine technician among you who could confirm. The piece is (was) part of a long line running along the piece that holds the engine attached to the wing. The rest of that line is dark/a bit burnt. I have a photo but can't upload on United wifi. 😅
Don’t know what to say. However, looks like your aircraft has the Polaris configuration today. Hooray.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:29 am

The piece is (was) part of a long line running along the piece that holds the engine attached to the wing. The rest of that line is dark/a bit burnt. I have a photo but can't upload on United wifi. 😅
That piece was part of the WiFi antenna that allows photo uploads.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

It does! And it is glorious. I have a single window seat. What a difference from the "business class middle seat" of yore. (Engine is still here.)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Bwahaha, very good!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I guess we shall know how serious it is if you don't post later.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I guess we shall know how serious it is if you don't post later.
This is such a reassuring and caring community.

What I'd like to know is whether there exists some list of non-essential bits of fuselage, engines, casings, wings, etc. whose detachment is an "oh well" type of event. How many screws are truly essential?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

This is such a reassuring and caring community.

What I'd like to know is whether there exists some list of non-essential bits of fuselage, engines, casings, wings, etc. whose detachment is an "oh well" type of event. How many screws are truly essential?
Would this be in the category of some people at United have some screws loose?
Juju2014, narvik, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not only it is a plane with the new Polaris seats but it has the three rows of the new PE seats and some of the passengers sitting there had no neighbors.

I don't know about screws of the wings that are needed but for the landing gear a rig pin is essential. I was once on a 747 that was missing a rig pin and we landed with only the nose and body landing gears.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH

I don't know about screws of the wings that are needed but for the landing gear a rig pin is essential. I was once on a 747 that was missing a rig pin and we landed with only the nose and body landing gears.
Yikes.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
As long as you don't see anything like this outside on the wing, you should be OK:

SFO777, chavala, iluv2fly and 18 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The pilot on board has a pretty large self interest in ensuring the plane lands safely, so if he/she isn't worried about it, then I wouldn't be either.

My totally uneducated and uninformed guess is that the piece is helpful for aerodynamics, but is not critical for flight safety. So now I guess the worry is if you will run out of fuel....
BlueZebra, Juju2014, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
It's not part the engine anyways but the nacelle pylon. Not a safety issue at all. I don't know if that's rubber or metal that blew off, but it appears to just be a cover.

If engine blades/parts start blowing out of the exhaust nozzle, definitely log back in and update this thread.
trooper, Supima, jerry305 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by catocony; Oct 7, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Don't mean to demean the OP, if something came off the outside of the plane during flight I'd be a little nervous too, but based on the photo, the title of this thread is a little over top, a part of the engine did not fly off.
Collierkr and BlueZebra like this.

Last edited by gradsflyer; Oct 8, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.