Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Business class pricing to Asia - Why so high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class pricing to Asia - Why so high?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CDSEA
Sometimes, I find myself needing time so badly on both ends of the trip that I take the flight that works no matter who it's on and what it costs.
And that's exactly how UA generates profits on its long-haul international. Not by selling $400 tickets in Y or $3000 P fares. Those just provide a revenue floor.
jsloan and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

<6,0000 through YVR. TPAC's are always cheap through YVR.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: MPC Green
Fly CZ to CAN. 2.5k. Short ride to HKG.

While not elite, saving 3-5k justifies the connection in LAX. 3.5k out of JFK
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sannmann

Government employees don’t fly business class, unless they upgrade themselves, either with instruments or out-of-pocket.
They most certainly do on East Coast - Asia routings.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
BOS and YYZ may also be options.

This has been discussed quite a bit over the past year or so. UA is charging a premium to fly to certain Asian destinations ex-EWR. The answer to "why" is always the same in these situations: "because they believe people will pay."
This. Supply and demand.

Lots of discounted fares out of YYZ and BOS. For example, BOS to PEK via SFO can be had for around $2K: likewise YYZ to TPE via SFO (codeshare with AC on the Canadian outbound).
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
Um, no they do not.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
id like to see a verifiable source. Maybe some high level civil servants do ( for security reasons) but most cannot. It is actually against The rules to do so.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr

id like to see a verifiable source. Maybe some high level civil servants do ( for security reasons) but most cannot. It is actually against The rules to do so.
Are we specifying US Government employees? What about employees of Asian nations? Or UN employees (though not a Government, per se)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And I know a friend of my wife who travels Business Class Washington, DC to Europe. And she's not that high level a US Government employee. So, as you say, they most certainly do.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And I know a friend of my wife who travels Business Class Washington, DC to Europe. And she's not that high level a US Government employee. So, as you say, they most certainly do.
Not a very reliable source. Government employees get in enormous trouble for not flying in economy. Witness the problems even Cabinet Secretaries have found themselves in for flying in domestic F. Now if you are talking Congressional members and their staffs, they have the ability to make their own rules. Definitely not enough individuals to make any difference on flight capacity.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
There are a couple of exceptions to the government Economy only rule where they won't question Business Class too much if it's documented. First and most obvious is if there are no other seats available. The other less common but still happens a lot is where there won't be enough rest time after arrival and reporting for duty, usually it's at least eight hours after you arrive at your lodging before reporting. I've seen reason 2 with a lot of the senior officers on the MSC crewed and contracted ships as well as with satellite and missile tracking people with the Air Force as well. I've only seen this in and out bound about twice in 30+ years since the government won't let the agencies use this inbound unless there's a severe staffing shortage in critical jobs with hours of service limits. You don't always have the option to buy up to Business and every now and then the auditors star requiring boarding pass to ensure that tickets aren't being changed on the government's dime.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by prometa

Are we specifying US Government employees? What about employees of Asian nations? Or UN employees (though not a Government, per se)

good point though I quickly assumed US government.

from the travel Regs per my relative who is a card carrying member...

“Use other than coach class when no coach class is reasonably available. Reasonably available means that is scheduled to leave within 24 hrs of proposed departure or scheduled to arrive within 24 hrs of proposed arrival. Or for medical disability.
... agency may approve business class of origin/destination is OCONUS and scheduled flight time including stopovers is in excess of 14 hours. If it results in cost savings, no coach class is available to accomplish mission, which is urgent.

...exception is when you are required to report to duty the following day or sooner and travel is in excess of 14 hours within OCONUS. “

drewguy likes this.

Last edited by Collierkr; Oct 7, 2018 at 8:39 pm Reason: Updated with us Travel Regs for govt employees
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A quick glance at trip.com shows JFK to HKG for about $3200 RT on China Eastern through PVG on your dates. If money is really an issue you should take the connection, it’s not that bad transiting PVG and the long haul experience on MU business class is far better than what UA offers.

Anyone looking for comfort and value in business class to Asia these days should look at the Mainland Chinese carriers. They offer flat beds, decent service and great value. Better than any of the US big 3.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
A quick glance at trip.com shows JFK to HKG for about $3200 RT on China Eastern through PVG on your dates. If money is really an issue you should take the connection, it’s not that bad transiting PVG and the long haul experience on MU business class is far better than what UA offers.

Anyone looking for comfort and value in business class to Asia these days should look at the Mainland Chinese carriers. They offer flat beds, decent service and great value. Better than any of the US big 3.
The timing for the twice daily ex. JFK are rather poor. One leaves just before 2am local time, with a scheduled arrival 20 minutes to 5am. The other gets to PVG until after 7pm, making same day onward connection risky (if available).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The timing for the twice daily ex. JFK are rather poor. One leaves just before 2am local time, with a scheduled arrival 20 minutes to 5am. The other gets to PVG until after 7pm, making same day onward connection risky (if available).
To me, midnight departures USA to Asia are the best possible timing and many of the Asian airlines offer such timings. In the OP’s case, taking the midnight MU flight would get him to HKG around 11am after the connection, a very nice arrival time.

It’s always been a mystery to me why UA doesn’t offer these timings (except for OZ and the CTU flight). Especially on routes like SFO-TYO or SFO-PVG where there are 2 daily frequencies, why not make one a midnight departure with morning arrival?
tomwhom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.