UA Carryon - roller plus garment bag?

Old Oct 5, 18, 11:40 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
UA Carryon - roller plus garment bag?

Hi All - forgive me if this is covered and I'm just unable to find it:

I'm traveling on UA international business class soon and I want to carry-on a roller plus a garment bag.The roller is the standard size that I've used as a carryon before, and the garment bag is a Tumi Alpha (15x22x6). When I read the UA policy I'll be technically out of compliance b/c both pieces are larger than the "backpack" they have as their model. Wondering if anyone has any practical experience with this?

Many thanks.

Last edited by kanuk; Oct 5, 18 at 11:57 am
kanuk is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:17 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,538
Neither is clearly a personal item like a backpack or purse. They may or may not make you check one, it really depends on the gate agents, but you have zero recourse if they do so since you only get one carry-on bag, regardless of type of plane, status or class of service.
catocony is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,350
I wonder why some complain that they can't find space in bins. It's too bad some people feel that stated bag limitations don't apply to them. That being said, I've seen plenty of cases where people carry on more than they're supposed to and hog the bins anyway. You shouldn't complain too loudly in the small chance you're stopped and have to gate check it, in which case you'll appear in the DYKWIA thread.
Often1, Mama and Dublin_rfk like this.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I wonder why some complain that they can't find space in bins. It's too bad some people feel that stated bag limitations don't apply to them. That being said, I've seen plenty of cases where people carry on more than they're supposed to and hog the bins anyway. You shouldn't complain too loudly in the small chance you're stopped and have to gate check it, in which case you'll appear in the DYKWIA thread.
How many flights have you been on in J or F where you see the bins full? At least in my personal experience it's been nil. But that's just on UA80 round trip.

The Tumi Alpha should maybe get away as a personal item, I doubt they'll say something to you. If you were Economy Basic or some sort, maybe.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,350
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
How many flights have you been on in J or F where you see the bins full?...
Hmmm - that's the number one complaint about the new boarding process. I guess it never happens and these carry-on regulations are superfluous .

If everyone decided to ignore United's carry-on limits, I can guarantee there would be F overfill on EVERY flight. As it is now, only the violators who ignore the limits make room scarce/non-existent. I assume by your response you're one of these?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Hmmm - that's the number one complaint about the new boarding process. I guess it never happens and these carry-on regulations are superfluous .

If everyone decided to ignore United's carry-on limits, I can guarantee there would be F overfill on EVERY flight. As it is now, only the violators who ignore the limits make room scarce/non-existent. I assume by your response you're one of these?
You didn't answer my question. How many flights or percentage of flights are they full? Most J/F flyers are business travelers with a carry on from my experience. It's the number one complaint in Y, every single flight I've seen they're out of space in in the back.

That's why the J/F bins say for J/F use ONLY.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,848
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
How many flights have you been on in J or F where you see the bins full? At least in my personal experience it's been nil. But that's just on UA80 round trip.
The bins rarely fill up in the front of widebodies. They frequently fill up in the front of narrowbodies.

If you're on a nonstop UA flight on a 767/777/787, I don't think this would be a huge inconvenience to other passengers. If you're connecting, or you're on a smaller plane, you're going to be taking overhead space from someone else, unless there's room in the closet to hang the garment bag.
1984SW likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The bins rarely fill up in the front of widebodies. They frequently fill up in the front of narrowbodies.

If you're on a nonstop UA flight on a 767/777/787, I don't think this would be a huge inconvenience to other passengers. If you're connecting, or you're on a smaller plane, you're going to be taking overhead space from someone else, unless there's room in the closet to hang the garment bag.
Well he did say international in business, so what's what I'm going on. Unless he's travelling to Central America/Caribbean/Mexico or Canada. I don't fly short haul in narrow bodies (the nature of my travels, not that I avoid) but I have seen people asking the F'A to put a coat or something in the closet.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,848
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
Well he did say international in business, so what's what I'm going on. Unless he's travelling to Central America/Caribbean/Mexico or Canada.
UA flies 752s to Europe that might be space-constrained; also, we have no idea if OP is connecting.
jsloan is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA flies 752s to Europe that might be space-constrained; also, we have no idea if OP is connecting.
Not trying to be stubborn, just continuing the conversation but most of my J flying is on 752s to the UK. That was the basis of my original comment.
jsloan likes this.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:57 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,552
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
How many flights have you been on in J or F where you see the bins full? At least in my personal experience it's been nil. But that's just on UA80 round trip..
and overhead bin space (or lack thereof) is completely besides the point - bringing a regular roller and garment bag is clearly not within the carry on allowance for any passenger on UA. A regular size roller is also allowed as ‘carry on’ if you’re flying a CR7, but obviously, it’s not getting in the bin and will be green tagged and checked. As I said, bin size or fullness and what you are allowed to bring as a carry on are two different things.

I would never recommend anyone, including myself, trying this, though OP or other pax may do it, and may even get away with it. Or get away with checking the second bag for free if they are caught. Which should never happen.

IMO, anyone caught trying to bring on more carry on bags then allowed should be forced to check at the gate, and pay the bag fee, with no waiver for elite at that point. I’d also be open to an additional charge, like is supposed to happen for (non-elite) BE pax trying to bring a roller on.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 2:42 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post


and overhead bin space (or lack thereof) is completely besides the point - bringing a regular roller and garment bag is clearly not within the carry on allowance for any passenger on UA. A regular size roller is also allowed as ‘carry on’ if you’re flying a CR7, but obviously, it’s not getting in the bin and will be green tagged and checked. As I said, bin size or fullness and what you are allowed to bring as a carry on are two different things.

I would never recommend anyone, including myself, trying this, though OP or other pax may do it, and may even get away with it. Or get away with checking the second bag for free if they are caught. Which should never happen.

IMO, anyone caught trying to bring on more carry on bags then allowed should be forced to check at the gate, and pay the bag fee, with no waiver for elite at that point. I’d also be open to an additional charge, like is supposed to happen for (non-elite) BE pax trying to bring a roller on.
Sure pal. No extra drinks for you on your next flight.
iluv2fly and kanuk like this.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:54 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,317
Why does the question of the carry-on size limits always devolve into an argument about bin sizes and who can shoehorn what into where?

OP's question is whether he can bring two bags on. The answer is really simple and is conveniently published on UA's website with dimensions, how to measure and pictures.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

If OP's bags exceed the dimensions, then a GA may well require him to check one. That may happen even if OP is the only passenger on the flight with a carry-on and it may not happen if the OH are crammed and the last 50 pax have to check their legit-sized bags.

All a risk tolerance matter.
Often1 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 4:27 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
Well he did say international in business, so what's what I'm going on. Unless he's travelling to Central America/Caribbean/Mexico or Canada. I don't fly short haul in narrow bodies (the nature of my travels, not that I avoid) but I have seen people asking the F'A to put a coat or something in the closet.
Thanks All. It is to Europe on a 772 and there are no immediate connections beyond that.
kanuk is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 6:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,538
Besides the two pieces of luggage, what else are you bringing on-board? A purse, backpack, briefcase, any thing like that?

Women routinely board with 3 or even 4 items and usually get away it, but it's usually one piece of luggage and a laptop bag of some sort and a purse. For guys, if you have a bunch of items, your chances of getting stinkeye from the gate agents, FAs and other passengers is much higher.

Last edited by catocony; Oct 5, 18 at 8:05 pm
catocony is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread