Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP locked my account due to "Fraud", Help {caused by UA error, access restored}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Lessons Learned
  • Don't assume members whose accounts are locked did something bad
  • UA agents seem to be unable or unwilling to help when accounts are locked
  • In post #21, OP said: "The situation has been resolved after escalating to the [email protected] , funny how one email to the right address is more useful than over 30 CS agents at the elite desk."
Print Wikipost

MP locked my account due to "Fraud", Help {caused by UA error, access restored}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However it was as noted by OP, locked AT THEIR OWN request.
Indeed, as I said, this doesn't fit that pattern exactly.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Just wondering why the OP never responded to the question posed in post #3 .
I don't really take the time to answer to pointless accusations like those, specially at a time when i'm trying to resolve my problem. If the poster could of asked in a polite manner, I would of taken the time to answer. But to finish a statement with there has to be something your not telling us is plane childish.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pmlflyer
I don't really take the time to answer to pointless accusations like those, specially at a time when i'm trying to resolve my problem. If the poster could of asked in a polite manner, I would of taken the time to answer. But to finish a statement with there has to be something your not telling us is plane childish.
+1. Agreed. Especially since as I keep pointing out, you made clear you were the one that 1)noticed the activity and 2)requested the lock. Some users didn't bother reading the post, made baseless accusations/asked irrelevant questions. Yes, most locked account posts involve issues with the question asked. However yours didn't and you made it clear. They now try to deflect their not reading your OP. They saw locked account and didn't bother processing the whole post. Now acting like your not replying to baseless accusations/irrelevant questions justifies their question/accusation.

Sorry for the responses you got.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pmlflyer
I don't really take the time to answer to pointless accusations like those, specially at a time when i'm trying to resolve my problem. If the poster could of asked in a polite manner, I would of taken the time to answer. But to finish a statement with there has to be something your not telling us is [plain] childish.
A little historical perspective is probably appropriate here.

There is a long history here on FT (and not just in the UA forum) of people complaining that their accounts got suspended/locked/taken away and then they were less than forthcoming about their history of selling/bartering points/instruments (typically not answering direct questions about that history, or obfuscating in some manner). In a majority of those cases that individual had in fact engaged in such activities and in some cases had tried to cover it up in some way, both with the airline and in this or other FT airline forums. THAT is likely why the question was asked and the accusation made in post #3 and why there tends to be a "guilty until proven innocent" mindset among some of the more veteran posters here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 10, 2018 at 10:54 am Reason: discuss the issues; not the poster{s}
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
A little historical perspective is probably appropriate here.

There is a long history here on FT (and not just in the UA forum) of people complaining that their accounts got suspended/locked/taken away and then they were less than forthcoming about their history of selling/bartering points/instruments (typically not answering direct questions about that history, or obfuscating in some manner). In a majority of those cases that individual had in fact engaged in such activities and in some cases had tried to cover it up in some way, both with the airline and in this or other FT airline forums. THAT is likely why the question was asked and the accusation made in post #3 and why there tends to be a "guilty until proven innocent" mindset among some of the more veteran posters here.
That's understandable, but it's not really that great to paint someone with a broad brush because of things other people have done. Human nature, I know. But not it's best look.
Still, how do you, in post 42, hark back to the question/accusation in post 3, when the issue was completely clarified in post 21?
That's the part I don't get. In fact, other than this sidebar, I'm not sure why this thread is even still active.
canadiancow and nomad420 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
...Still, how do you, in post 42, hark back to the question/accusation in post 3, when the issue was completely clarified in post 21?
That's the part I don't get. In fact, other than this sidebar, I'm not sure why this thread is even still active.
The OP posted twice a couple hours after post #3 , so had the opportunity to answer the question well prior to resolution. Again, it hearkens back to multiple cases where an OP would complain about an account freeze and turn out to be culpable.

I can guarantee you that had this been posted in the AA or DL forum similar questions would have been asked and accusations raised. Especially the AA forum, where ignoring direct questions about selling/bartering such instruments is tantamount to an admission of guilt
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
This thread seems to have served its purpose and should probably be closed now.
Just saying.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:50 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Greetings All,

For the time being this thread will stay open. It offers a resource to those who need to contact UA to follow up on security issues related to their account and serves as a reminder to us that honest mistakes can happen from time to time.

That said, the issue here is MP accounts being incorrectly locked by UA's fraud/security department NOT a general critique on other members' posting styles. So please focus the discussion around the former, not the latter when responding.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA Forum Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.