Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to select ANY available E+ seat < 24 hours

Old Oct 4, 18, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: UA 1K, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat with Ambassador

Maybe there’s already a thread for this but I couldn’t find it.

I’m a lowly Silver on UA but started flying weekly on UA now. Today when trying to select my complimentary Economy Plus seat at checkin, it shows tons of available seats. Every time I pick a seat it then comes back with that Seat is Unavailable. Then I go back to pick another…. Same error. When I check the seat map, the seat is still vacant. No matter which seat I pick, it always comes back with the same error.

So I finally call Reservations, and they say they’re having problems with the seat maps. Huh?? So after being on hold for 20 min (NO exaggeration) they finally select my seat by calling the airport desk. Seriously…? Sigh… I had such high hopes for coming back to UA. Although despite this fail… UA is light years ahead of AC for their IT solutions. What's going on with this? It isn't the first time it happened to me.
Old Oct 4, 18, 11:19 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by YVR guy View Post
I had such high hopes for coming back to UA.
Well, there's your problem. Isn't that what they call insanity?

Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post
Although despite this fail… UA is light years ahead of AC for their IT solutions.
I'll give you that much. I moved to AS last year after being so fed up with UA for the prior few years. And while SO MANY THINGS are much better for me at AS, I am constantly amazed at how crappy everything related to IT is.
UA was LIGHT YEARS ahead in that regard. Seriously. Both the App and the website.
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
You're having an issue with 20 minutes on hold as a silver with United? Try over 1 hour hold times for a UA *G calling Air Canada for a simple request that cannot be done online because the AC website is pretty poor

Yes, United does have seat map issues from time to time. This wasn't some benefit being taken away from silvers, but rather a temporary issue on United's side. Let this one slide and see what happens next week if you're actually traveling weekly. They're not out to get you.

-RM
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Any chance you bought the tickets before you were Silver? Tt's not uncommon for existing tickets to not be updated correctly when you pass a status less.

Otherwise no ideas - I can't say that I've ever had a problem selecting a seat on United, regardless of when it's done.
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Any chance you bought the tickets before you were Silver? Tt's not uncommon for existing tickets to not be updated correctly when you pass a status less......
From reports, that is pretty uncommon (unless status change was post-checkin). It was a problem for pmUA.
Old Oct 5, 18, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by YVR guy View Post
Maybe there’s already a thread for this but I couldn’t find it.

I’m a lowly Silver on UA but started flying weekly on UA now. Today when trying to select my complimentary Economy Plus seat at checkin, it shows tons of available seats. Every time I pick a seat it then comes back with that Seat is Unavailable. Then I go back to pick another…. Same error. When I check the seat map, the seat is still vacant. No matter which seat I pick, it always comes back with the same error.

So I finally call Reservations, and they say they’re having problems with the seat maps. Huh?? So after being on hold for 20 min (NO exaggeration) they finally select my seat by calling the airport desk. Seriously…? Sigh… I had such high hopes for coming back to UA. Although despite this fail… UA is light years ahead of AC for their IT solutions. What's going on with this? It isn't the first time it happened to me.
Were you trying to select a seat via the app? Since iOS 12, I've had trouble changing seats post check-in.

Search this Thread