Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should UA Stop CPUs and Revert to a Paid (e.g. E-500) Upgrade Scheme?
No. The current system is fine. Leave it alone.
34.18%
Use the E-500 system for ALL flights and ALL elites (no elites get unlimited 500s)
16.33%
Use the E-500 system for ALL flights but Plats and higher get unlimited 500s.
3.57%
Use the E-500 system for ALL flights but 1Ks and higher get unlimited 500s.
8.67%
Use the E-500 system for ALL flights but only GSs get unlimited 500s.
3.06%
Use the E-500 system for 500mi+ flights and ALL elites (no elites get unlimited 500s)
4.59%
Use the E-500 system for 500mi+ flights but Plats and higher get unlimited 500s.
3.06%
Use the E-500 system for 500mi+ flights but 1Ks and higher get unlimited 500s.
5.61%
Use the E-500 system for 500mi+ flights but only GSs get unlimited 500s.
2.04%
I don't care. Either way my upgrade a'int clearing.
18.88%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

UA should kill CPU and go back to E-500s

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
Soon to be 100%. UA is clawing back bonuses on TODs. It's clear that they want them to work like mileage upgrades, where you get credit for the class originally purchased. They simply haven't worked out the IT kinks yet.

Then you were basically buying TODs.

Getting 4 free e500s for every 10K PQMs means I'll get upgraded 20% of the time. I'm doing much better than that as a 1K.

This is a salient point. The pmCO counterpart was that they didn't have a gate upgrade list, but they'd give them first-come, first-served at the gate to elites who asked. If you didn't clear in advance, you and you didn't ask, you sat in Y. I had something like 140 segments over two years with exactly two in Y.
Maybe step up and buy the E-500's when needed? Deciding to never spend a dime while I did is your problem, not mine. I do have a severe problem with non elites scoring a cheaper TOD price, as evidence in multiple posts. Bring back E-500's and I'll actually celebrate as I know the people too cheap to pay for upgrades will be stuck in the back. UA is trying to find the balance currently, and why the appeal is toward the PMCO method is beyond me when PMUA was much larger.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Maybe step up and buy the E-500's when needed? Deciding to never spend a dime while I did is your problem, not mine.
It's nice of you to volunteer to spend my money for me.

Upgrades are going away because there are more and more premier members and because F is priced much more cheaply than it used to be. If you're so happy to pay for e500s, use that same money, adjusted a bit for inflation, to buy F, either up front or via a TOD. I'll continue to get upgraded well more than 20% of the time while spending less. We're both happy.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
10+ years ago I was a Platinum on CO. That was the top elite for CO at the time, before they introduced something like GS (Presidential Platinum?). CPU system didn't have any instruments. I upgraded 95% of my flights. Now, not even close. It's not the lack of instruments. It's cheap F fares and buy-ups. the good old days are gone and aren't coming back.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It's nice of you to volunteer to spend my money for me.

Upgrades are going away because there are more and more premier members and because F is priced much more cheaply than it used to be. If you're so happy to pay for e500s, use that same money, adjusted a bit for inflation, to buy F, either up front or via a TOD. I'll continue to get upgraded well more than 20% of the time while spending less. We're both happy.
I don’t mind TOD, but I have a severe problem with non elites being offered a cheaper price.

Also, if memory serves you would have done much better under E-500’s than 20%. Even on OPM and not willing to spend a single dime out of pocket, your happy?

I remember the 4/10K/quarterly thing. What did we get per year as 1K’s?

Last edited by COSPILOT; Oct 1, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've been saying this since day one of UDU.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t mind TOD, but I have a severe problem with non elites being offered a cheaper price.

The price changes all the time. The "non elites being offered a cheaper price" thing is more or less an urban myth at this point. It may happen, but it seems to be exceedingly rare. Mostly, I just see the route differential when there's decent inventory and a higher number when there isn't, and it doesn't seem to change based on status.

Also, if memory serves you would have done much better under E-500’s than 20%. Even on OPM and not willing to spend a single dime out of pocket, your happy?

I remember the 4/10K/quarterly thing. What did we get per year as 1K’s?
Someone else will have to chime in there, as I was pmCO. I do know there were the SWUs and CR1s in addition to the e500s. When I first looked into the program, though, that's what struck me -- four e500s per 10K of traveling, which is where the 20% comes from. I don't remember their being an extra award of e500s, although there certainly could have been.

I'm mostly spending my own money. I just refuse to pay for domestic F in any but the most unusual of circumstances; it's not valuable, especially when my CPU% is decent.

It seems to me that, as a 1K with a CPU% > 20% (on non-GPU/RPU flights, so I'm trying for parity here), the net result of going to e500s would be that I'd be upgraded less in favor of people with lower status (or 1Ks on a lower fare class -- but I tend to buy inexpensive tickets). I can see why they might like that. I don't see why that's better for me though, or why it's better for UA.

When you have 70+ premier members on a hub-hub transcon, there is no upgrade strategy that is going to get everyone into first. The OP mentioned 50 people on the list for one seat -- nobody has explained how e500s would help with that.

CPUs worked fine on pmCO... 15 years ago. The CPUs aren't the problem. The 15 years are.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by prometa
A switch to E-500s only helps if:
  • UA is stingy with them, so people have more flights they want to upgrade than usable certs. That'd be the opposite of the RPU situation now, where CPU is impossible because a pile of 1Ks with too many RPUs they can never use will always be above you on the list. Doing that would likely anger 1Ks who now have to pick and choose when to be upgraded instead of having a chance every time.
  • OR, you want to be upgraded on flights no one else does, so no one else is applying certs.
Anymore, the upgrade price to F seems to match the fare differential until T-24, when the TOD prices come even lower. GG BUYUP gives me extra PQM and PQD (and RDM too), and the price differentials tend to be reasonable. If you qualify for the CC waiver, you can do the T-24 TODs that (for me anyway) give me 200% PQM (soon to be 150%) for a low price and not care they come with no PQD. If you are 1K in the $12k-$50k PQD black hole, though, the extra PQD and PQM are not much help.
Have a question about TOD..
Asked 1K line that if TOD books the passenger to a new booking class (P/Z) or just an upgrade (R) since if in P/Z then one'll get PQD/PQM, otherwise, it sticks to original.
However, 1K line didn't know the answer..
From the data points I have now, 50%/50% chance in each case...
How could you make sure that TOD booked you in an new class?

Thx~~
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thinthin
How could you make sure that TOD booked you in an new class?
You can't. The only way to ensure that you're booked into a class with extra PQMs is to call UA and ask to buy up into first class. The price should be the difference between the current first class fare and whatever you paid. This may be more, less, or the same as the TOD price.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:15 pm

The price changes all the time. The "non elites being offered a cheaper price" thing is more or less an urban myth at this point. It may happen, but it seems to be exceedingly rare. Mostly, I just see the route differential when there's decent inventory and a higher number when there isn't, and it doesn't seem to change based on status.

Someone else will have to chime in there, as I was pmCO. I do know there were the SWUs and CR1s in addition to the e500s. When I first looked into the program, though, that's what struck me -- four e500s per 10K of traveling, which is where the 20% comes from. I don't remember their being an extra award of e500s, although there certainly could have been.

The TOD thread says its not an urban myth, with an elite being offered a higher price than the friend/coworker/family member with no status offered something much lower.

I'm still struggling to remember exactly what I got as a 1K PMUA, but all I know is that I spent much less overall with UA, and spent much more time in first. Giving it out for free is certainly a PMCO method, while PMUA put a value on upgrades. I'd prefer a little skin in the game, so let's remove all free upgrades and only do the upgrade via TOD's, but only at a consistent price for all, or even a discount for elites. That seems pretty fair to me. Free has only brought us reduced meals (often non existent) on flights. I'm fine with spending more, whether E-500's or TOD's.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:46 pm

I'm good going back to e500s, but it certainly won't solve the problem you're after. This wouldn't help one bit. well, that's a false statement. Maybe it ups your odds by .1%
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TOD thread says its not an urban myth, with an elite being offered a higher price than the friend/coworker/family member with no status offered something much lower.
I should have been more precise. I think the idea that non-premier members routinely get huge discounts compared to premier members is an urban myth. We see one report of it every few months -- and even when we do, we don't know if there is a confounding factor like a different underlying fare. I'm also of the opinion it should never happen -- I don't mean to give UA a free pass here -- but I just don't buy into the idea that this is a routine or intentional business practice.

but all I know is that I spent much less overall with UA, and spent much more time in first.
Sure, but that was an era of 65% load factors, not 85%.

Giving it out for free is certainly a PMCO method, while PMUA put a value on upgrades. I'd prefer a little skin in the game, so let's remove all free upgrades and only do the upgrade via TOD's, but only at a consistent price for all, or even a discount for elites. That seems pretty fair to me. Free has only brought us reduced meals (often non existent) on flights. I'm fine with spending more, whether E-500's or TOD's.
Again, you're spending my money on something I just don't find compelling. I might pay $79 to sit in domestic first on a mid-con, if I knew I wasn't going to get upgraded because the CPU program had met its demise. I rarely ate the meals they provided before -- they were rarely the least bit appetizing -- so I don't often miss them now. The only thing worth paying for in domestic F is the space and the cushioned seat.

Furthermore, if you're willing to spend more via TODs, what's stopping you? UA is offering the route differential -- the TOD price -- pretty much from booking to departure at this point, unless inventory gets constrained. I will never begrudge UA for selling "my seat" to you for a TOD.

This is a nostalgia thread, plain and simple. DL figured out how to monetize domestic F, and UA and AA have followed suit. There's no way to turn back the clock on this, which means none of these proposals will help. There's just not enough F inventory for all of the premier members.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I should have been more precise. I think the idea that non-premier members routinely get huge discounts compared to premier members is an urban myth. We see one report of it every few months -- and even when we do, we don't know if there is a confounding factor like a different underlying fare. I'm also of the opinion it should never happen....
Not an urban myth. In the past year purchased a ticket for my friend in coach. Twice. Each time her fare bucket was the same as mine.

Her TOD were less than mine. She had no status. Now perhaps the fact it was just two times in the last year is not imperial evidence but certainly annoyed me both times.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Rather than the current system, let’s go back to the days when being nice to the checkin or gate agent could get you an instant upgrade. The caliber of F was better back then.

And while we are going back in time, I used to so frequently deplane from flights to/from Hawaii with FA-awarded bottles of wine and champagne that it became an irritation to my siblings who never quite understood the required technique.

But I am dating myself...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I don't think returning to the e500 system will lead to dramatically better upgrade rates... the pricing environment for domestic F is radically different from a decade or more ago, with many Ffares prices at smaller increments over prevailing discount economy fares.

When advance purchase J on the LAX/SFO-NYC transcons is routinely ~$650 one way, you know things are very different. Most carriers have taken the position that it is more profitable to sell out the cabins at a smaller premium than only get a handful of pax at a high premium and give the rest out to elites. C'est la vie...
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 747FC
Rather than the current system, let’s go back to the days when being nice to the checkin or gate agent could get you an instant upgrade. The caliber of F was better back then.

And while we are going back in time, I used to so frequently deplane from flights to/from Hawaii with FA-awarded bottles of wine and champagne that it became an irritation to my siblings who never quite understood the required technique.

But I am dating myself...
Those good old day! I remember getting a bottle of champagne or a bottle of red wine from the crew in the initial years of 1K. In those days, status was earned based on BIS miles no matter how expensive the fares or class of services were paid. Populations of elites were lower.

I am not sure the idea of getting upgrades by dressing nicely will work in this day and age or in the future.
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.