Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: SFO San Francisco Runway Construction (1R/28L) 29 Sept - 1 Oct 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K

As the official news release from the SF Airport Commission shows, the work is centered around the intersection of Rwys 1R/19L and 28L/10R, so it will be necessary to close the two runways (typically this time of year, barring rain or S. winds, 1R and 28L) for most of the weekend of Sept. 29-30.)
https://www.flysfo.com/flight-info/alerts-advisories/intersection-runways-28l-and-1r-will-be-closed-sept-29-30-maintenance.
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: SFO San Francisco Runway Construction (1R/28L) 29 Sept - 1 Oct 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bpsilva
They originate in Phoenix, connect in SFO, and have a direct flight after that. Supposed to arrive in SFO at 8am and depart 4hrs later.
Where are they going?

If runway capacity is indeed being cut in half, there is some risk their PHX-SFO flight will be cancelled or substantially delayed. Although with a 6:15 a.m. departure from PHX, odds are it will be okay.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Where are they going?

If runway capacity is indeed being cut in half, there is some risk their PHX-SFO flight will be cancelled or substantially delayed. Although with a 6:15 a.m. departure from PHX, odds are it will be okay.
Heading to Beijing. I think I'll call and see if we can route then through LAX or something. Thanks for your replies
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bpsilva
Heading to Beijing. I think I'll call and see if we can route then through LAX or something. Thanks for your replies
I'm afraid there are not going to be many good options for PHX-PEK (really nothing on United metal, except backtracking via ORD). Probably best just to hope the 4 hour connection at SFO is sufficient. And if things go south at PHX in the morning, get on the phone and see what UA will offer.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the algorithm for UA at SFO is usually - keep long hauls going, merge frequent services (e.g. LAX), cancel regionals? I wonder what outstations are instructed to do and if SFO will hold some outbound longhauls for late connecting passengers since some of the long hauls will overnight overseas anyway.

Still think this is kind of crazy with so short a notice. Were they (SFO) waiting for the weather to be more certain?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

There will be delays, but they aren’t losing half of their runways.

Unless weather is horrible, they typically use 1R & 1L for most departures and the 28’s for landings and very heavy departure flights.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Inbound BOS-SFO now on UA433. Before pushback, pilot mentioned this and said we could be delayed at BOS, slowed enroute, or hold before landing. Now 45 minutes out, and on flightplan. Channel 9 is on, and no mention of any delays.

ETA: Arrived right on time. Not even a wait for a gate!

Last edited by wxguy; Sep 29, 2018 at 10:53 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cslovacek
There will be delays, but they aren’t losing half of their runways.
SFO has 4 physical runways. For this work they are losing 2 of them for 30 hours.. So yeah, they are losing half of their runways.

This runway construction has been going on for months, but normally only results in one runway being shutdown. The problem this time is that they are working around the intersection of 28L and 1R, which means that both of those runways need to be shutdown together (plus, obviously, 10R and 19L which are the same runways).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note.

To clarify that this construction affects two intersecting runways (not merely reciprocal runways), 1R and 28L, earlier this morning, I updated the thread title and the wikipost. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally on UA349 SMF-SFO and then connecting to UA1597 SFO-LAX this evening. The two midday SMF-SFO flights were cancelled but 349 was holding until mid afternoon and then started to slip.

Used an ETC to book and was looking for the extra 500 BIS miles for my trek to 1MM LT. Anyway, with the slips to an estimated 8 pm departure and even with the SFO-LAX slip as well, I was going to be arriving at SFO at the same time as the SFO-LAX last flight was departing. So I accepted UA's offer to take the SMF-LAX non-stop.

So I'm now sitting at the SMF A17 gate awaiting the Skywest GAs and the SMF-SFO flight is departing earlier and the app shows the SFO-LAX flight is now scheduled for a later departure that the SMF-SFO flight will work for a connection.

Let's see how this finally plays out.

David

p.s. As the ranking 1K, just got called up for the upgrade but another 1K who was on one of the earlier SMF-SFO flights and connecting to get to BOS (but on a BE ticket) honked up the distribution of boarding passes 'cause his PNR went wonky...and didn't get promoted to F...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Originally on UA349 SMF-SFO and then connecting to UA1597 SFO-LAX this evening. The two midday SMF-SFO flights were cancelled but 349 was holding until mid afternoon and then started to slip.

Used an ETC to book and was looking for the extra 500 BIS miles for my trek to 1MM LT. Anyway, with the slips to an estimated 8 pm departure and even with the SFO-LAX slip as well, I was going to be arriving at SFO at the same time as the SFO-LAX last flight was departing. So I accepted UA's offer to take the SMF-LAX non-stop.

So I'm now sitting at the SMF A17 gate awaiting the Skywest GAs and the SMF-SFO flight is departing earlier and the app shows the SFO-LAX flight is now scheduled for a later departure that the SMF-SFO flight will work for a connection.

Let's see how this finally plays out.

David

p.s. As the ranking 1K, just got called up for the upgrade but another 1K who was on one of the earlier SMF-SFO flights and connecting to get to BOS (but on a BE ticket) honked up the distribution of boarding passes 'cause his PNR went wonky...and didn't get promoted to F...
Basic economy is not eligible for CPU.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Basic economy is not eligible for CPU.
Yes, I know - that's why it was a bit amusing that the 1K insisted on getting serviced first so that everyone had to wait even though the GA had reeled off a dozen names for folks either getting upgraded or moved off the standby list - and most of those getting a new piece of paper were the BG5s.

As a follow up to my earlier post, the SMF-LAX flight left the gate over 10 minutes early (and was the same crew that had flown me up to SMF the night before, but that's another story). We landed @ LAX almost an hour early and had to pull over on the west side of the field for our gate to clear. After all was said and done, we got off at the gate 15 minutes early.

Had I tried to switch back to my original flights, I would have made the connection in SFO but would not have gotten into LAX any earlier than after midnight. Instead, I was home by 10:30 pm and asleep well before midnight.

So, 500 fewer miles or a bit more sleep. A toss up for those of us who fly too much.

David
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: IC RA
Thanks to those who replied to my earlier questions in the thread. I noticed that ORD-CDG Tomm had the true Polaris seat so I made the switch yesterday to SAN-LAX-ORD-CDG as there was no seats available in F on SAN-ORD.

Today I checked again and seats had opened on the SAN-ORD flight. I callled back and they made the switch for me without any questions.

I’m a happy customer.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.