Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:53 pm

I am confused. Checking the MP earnings page today while in the Maldives, it still shows :"P" fare as 200% which is very odd.

"Premier qualifying credits

MileagePlus members flying on United and United Express will earn Premier qualifying credits toward Premier status based on the flight distance footnote2 and purchased fare class, with bonuses for paid United PolarisSM first class, United First®, United Polaris business class, United Business® or full-fare United Economy® tickets footnote5. Premier members are also eligible to earn a minimum of 500 Premier qualifying miles on United and United Express flights.

premier qualifying creditsEligible purchased fare classes
Premier qualifying miles (PQM)Premier qualifying segments (PQS)
F, J300%1.5
A, C, D, Z, P200%1.5
Y, B150%1.5M,
E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G100%1
N0%0"
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Exleftseat - Perhaps because P fares will continue to earn 200% until the end of the year.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Exleftseat - Perhaps because P fares will continue to earn 200% until the end of the year.
No doubt, but normally when there is a change coming, they will announce a validity date: " until/beginning from ".At least that's what I recall from the past.
But maybe I am wrong. Old age!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
No doubt, but normally when there is a change coming, they will announce a validity date: " until/beginning from ".At least that's what I recall from the past.
They've still not updated the "earnings" page on the website, which is pretty poor form. I guess they are relying on what the website says when you buy the ticket, as well as the emailed receipt post-purchase, but that doesn't cover bookings made through other channels, where a purchaser could absolutely be misled as to earnings on a P fare for travel after December 31.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They've still not updated the "earnings" page on the website, which is pretty poor form. I guess they are relying on what the website says when you buy the ticket, as well as the emailed receipt post-purchase, but that doesn't cover bookings made through other channels, where a purchaser could absolutely be misled as to earnings on a P fare for travel after December 31.
That was exactly my point. For anyone who did not get the UA announcement and who purchases a ticket for a flight next year is under the impression that the "P" fare earns 200%. They are in for a great disappointment. Very poor form indeed.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by findark
At the end of the day, UA is still the only airline that flies nonstop to my frequent destinations (SFO-WAS I'm looking at you...) and also internationally (although with the AS/VX merger and expansion it's looking more attractive). If I don't make 1K under the new rules, I'll be disappointed, but "switch carriers" isn't really a choice.
Same. I get to be 1K every year due to Dever-OGG (Maui). I have flown every single combination of flights to and fro (my favorite is Mokulele from west Maui to HNL, then nonstop to Denver). United is the most workable route, and the only nonstop. That red eye with a stopover in SFO or LAX is not fun.
So, this may be my last year at 1K. I hit about 102,000 PQM and $13,000. I book in first sometimes. I'm not changing, but I can't see chasing $15,000. 1K is okay, but it isn't worth another $3,000.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Nothing makes me realize how tied I am to United's depth of schedule quite as much as when they cut the ~8pm IAD-SFO for the winter and feeling just how much it hurts. Even with the VX addition, AS at 4x daily from IAD/DCA is nearly unworkable.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Gold
I was keeping up with this thread, then it exploded to 34 pages and I admittedly havent read all of the most recent posts..

Has anyone figured out whether the plan is to make "P" class the Premium Economy fare class for PP seats? That would more rationally suggest why they set the PQM earning rate at 150% (which is kind of in line with other airlines, and in *A).. I asked because I was searching for P-class fares on a few routes where I usually buy them and couldn't find them (these are not routes that normally have the 777s with those new seats)..

If I missed this above, I apologize..
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hscottm
Has anyone figured out whether the plan is to make "P" class the Premium Economy fare class for PP seats? That would more rationally suggest why they set the PQM earning rate at 150% (which is kind of in line with other airlines, and in *A).. I asked because I was searching for P-class fares on a few routes where I usually buy them and couldn't find them (these are not routes that normally have the 777s with those new seats)..
No. UA has indicated that O, A, and R are the P+ fare classes.

200% earning for deep discount business class has always been the outlier. It was only introduced for the 2016 qualification year. AA matches it, but DL only offers 200% for its most expensive business class fare.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
DL only offers 200% for its most expensive business class fare.
And Diamond requires 125k EQM.

It's been much easier to earn 1K than DL Diamond the past two years with 200% P fares. In fact, for a passenger traveling mostly on Ps (or their DL equivalents), DL Plat and 1K have required the same number of BIS. With these changes, the number of 1Ks is likely to drop pretty significantly.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
FWIW, for some of the winter travel I've booked, the Z fares cost basically the same as the P fares used to on the same routes (domestic routes). So still 200% earnings on deeply-discounted front-cabin fares, just one letter up from what it used to be.

I haven't verified what the AP requirements are for those Z fares, though; they've been for January and February travel so far. Used to be able to snag P fares on these routes up to about 3 weeks out.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by exerda
FWIW, for some of the winter travel I've booked, the Z fares cost basically the same as the P fares used to on the same routes (domestic routes). So still 200% earnings on deeply-discounted front-cabin fares, just one letter up from what it used to be.

Nice.
I was looking for early 2019 travel, and sadly, for my destinations (international) Z fares are almost double than P fares.
Was trying to get creative again so looked at adding ZFV-EWR, which sometimes works to get better rates. This time the short train trip adds a whopping $3500 to the same EWR-XXX-EWR P fare.
Looks like 2019 won't be quite as easy to get 1K as 2018 was, indeed.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. UA has indicated that O, A, and R are the P+ fare classes.

200% earning for deep discount business class has always been the outlier. It was only introduced for the 2016 qualification year. AA matches it, but DL only offers 200% for its most expensive business class fare.
R used to be the upgraded fare from economy to biz when using a GPU or miles + cash - what will that become?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
Nice.
I was looking for early 2019 travel, and sadly, for my destinations (international) Z fares are almost double than P fares.
Was trying to get creative again so looked at adding ZFV-EWR, which sometimes works to get better rates. This time the short train trip adds a whopping $3500 to the same EWR-XXX-EWR P fare.
Looks like 2019 won't be quite as easy to get 1K as 2018 was, indeed.
For some reason for 2018, that $3,500 is exactly the additional money that UA wanted for me leaving from my small city instead of ORD if I wanted the trip to be a P fare going to Asia. Example: ORD-PVG-ORD $3,600. Leaving from my city $7,100. ORD-PEK-ORD $3,000. Leaving from my city: $6,500. And we are talking about a less than 100 miles plane ride.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
R used to be the upgraded fare from economy to biz when using a GPU or miles + cash - what will that become?
Upgrades from economy to business class now clear into PZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.