Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:

I had already purchase a chunk of travel for next year so this is good news for me and feels much more fair!
I wrote twice already to 1kvoice. No response yet. Hope you are right and crossing my fingers.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
The pricing engine on the website is now showing both UA and partner P fares at 150%, so I think that probably puts to bed any speculation they would keep partner earnings at 200%.

Boo.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dordal
... partner P fares at 150%, ....
Some partner P (or their lowest business fares) are 200% PQMs, some are 150% and some are 100% --- there has never been a single earning value. Partners set their earning levels.

Partner earning levels are rarely been reported correctly during flight searches or reservation receipt report.

Best to use the partner earning pages

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2018 at 9:57 pm Reason: link
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by SS255

It kind of makes one wonder why on earth they waited until so close to the end of the year to change the requirements for the worse, after many folks have already booked their Q1 flights. Oh, wait...
i don’t know where I’m going next week (was supposed to be HKG and just became LAS) so I haven’t booked any q1 flights yet. I still often buy P fares when I can find them.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to use the partner earning pages
Except for now.

Because those P fares on LH, NH, etc. that currently show at 200% are almost certainly not going to accrue at that level.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SS255

It kind of makes one wonder why on earth they waited until so close to the end of the year to change the requirements for the worse, after many folks have already booked their Q1 flights. Oh, wait...
IIRC UA generally annunces program changes of this sort in September.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Oct 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
IIRC UA generally annLounces program changes of this sort in September.
On a Friday afternoon . . . .

A time-honored UA tradition
Xyzzy and LIH like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:00 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
In 2017 of my 106 UA flights, 67 of them were P fares. 2018 is tracking similar overall travel patterns with ~10% fewer P fares. This will certainly impact my PQM, I have been hitting 225K-250K since PQM were a thing. Spend has always been a multiple of $12K. The main impact for me from these changes will really just be the fewer RPUs, which is a notable downgrade but I would have been giving up some percentage of those additional RPUs just through the lower P fare PQM. Impacts my family and friends more than it will impact me directly as 99% of my travel is booked Z/A/P.

I would imagine the reduction in RPUs is geared more toward being able to increase revenue from selling the front cabin (which we all know UA is very aggressive on and proud of their current success in). I would bet that 1K CPU rates go entirely unimproved by this shift.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Reducing the number of 1K's won't increase the probability of a GPU clearing it will actually decrease the probability. Upgrades don't clear today. It does not matter if you have 1 person on the upgrade list or 20. The TOD policy puts a little cash ahead of loyalty. So long as this policy is in place 1K's will sit on the upgrade list and GPU will be returned to the bank. Former 1K's will now be motivated to exercise the TOD option, since the GPU option has been removed, and the probability of upgrades clearing will actually reduce. Without modification of the TOD policy all such changes to program will continue to erode the value of elite status.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by LimeySD
So long as this policy is in place 1K's will sit on the upgrade list and GPU will be returned to the bank.
I haven't flown long-haul in Y since my current streak of 1K started in 2012.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LIH
This will certainly impact my PQM, I have been hitting 225K-250K since PQM were a thing. Spend has always been a multiple of $12K. The main impact for me from these changes will really just be the fewer RPUs, which is a notable downgrade but I would have been giving up some percentage of those additional RPUs just through the lower P fare PQM. Impacts my family and friends more than it will impact me directly as 99% of my travel is booked Z/A/P.
The RPU impact is more significant than the the reduced 150% PQM earning rate on P fares. RPU's are now capped at 4 per year!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:08 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Reducing the number of 1K's won't increase the probability of a GPU clearing it will actually decrease the probability. Upgrades don't clear today. It does not matter if you have 1 person on the upgrade list or 20. The TOD policy puts a little cash ahead of loyalty. So long as this policy is in place 1K's will sit on the upgrade list and GPU will be returned to the bank. Former 1K's will now be motivated to exercise the TOD option, since the GPU option has been removed, and the probability of upgrades clearing will actually reduce. Without modification of the TOD policy all such changes to program will continue to erode the value of elite status.
Entirely true. They probably debated about capping/limiting GPUs as well but their market intel work made them realize that this would ruffle too many 1K feathers given that one of the primary perks anyone wants from an airline loyalty program is to be lie-flat over the ocean on personal trips. In addition, UA has become very good at selling the front cabin domestically. I had a mid-day Tuesday flight on an A319 ATL > ORD yesterday with the entire F cabin sold out. I would imagine that's about as far away as you can get from a competitive business route for UA. I think my P fare was ~$250 o/w,
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dordal
The pricing engine on the website is now showing both UA and partner P fares at 150%, so I think that probably puts to bed any speculation they would keep partner earnings at 200%.

Boo.
Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but just checked two existing reservations for Q1 2019. The legs on Partner airlines in P class are still showing at 200% PQM. The legs on United metal are at 150% PQM. I know nothing is final until the PQM post after I fly those trips. I'm one of those poor saps who purposely booked these flights to boost my PQM early in the year. We will see...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Remenber the changes will impact flights in 2020. You are unlikely to see much change in 2019 as will still be similar numbers of 1Ks in 2019. I have been able to use my GPUs in 2018.

In 2020 former 1Ks not in a hub are unlikely to TOD on United unless United has the better fare/schedule. For former 1Ks in a hub agree with your premise on TODs.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH
...I had a mid-day Tuesday flight on an A319 ATL > ORD yesterday with the entire F cabin sold out...
Personally, I'm having a hard time figuring out how many F seats were sold vs upgrades on my flights since UA's ceased showing those upgrades doled out prior to check-in. But you're right - UA is doing a better job of filling the F seats w/o CPUs (and RPU/GPUs).
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.