Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It may have been sincere. Who knows. But UA takes the position it is not bound by anything a phone rep promises which is contrary to the T&C.
Remember a few years ago, UA decided to go in the other direction and bulk up the 1K ranks? They ran some kind of promotion that opened the door to 1K status which got some 1Ks who had "earned" their status mad.

Some people reported calling in and getting an extra RPU or GPU thrown their way as a peace offering. I wish I could find that thread, but it does show that there is some capacity for UA to respond to those who feel shortchanged by arbitrary rule changes.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
Remember a few years ago, UA decided to go in the other direction and bulk up the 1K ranks? .....
If it is UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016] you are thinking about, "bulking up the 1K ranks" did not appear to be the objective. It seemed to have been an 1 status level increase and most of lower status or no status levels. There were a few reported Plat to 1K (no GPUs, no RPUs) but targeted and limited.

Being a squeaky wheel has always had the possibility of a one-off service gesture, and I would not be surprized if UA did post-change honor previous P reservations. However, given the mileage credit system is based on rules at time of travel (and always have been, and Ps got the benefits on the change to 200%), it will need a manual request. Mucking with the systems to provide this one-time exception could create greater issues.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have said this (previously) elsewhere on FT: United is in the business of making money and maximizing shareholder wealth. The management at United think these changes are going to help them achieve those goals. My own personal goal is to find the optimal flying experience for me. I travel on my own dime and make decisions on what is best for me.

My guess is the management at Untied expect a few to moan and complain and up their spend to meet the new requirements, they expect the pax tied to United on corporate accounts will have to stay and they expect a certain number will leave or be willing to drop to Platinum, but ultimately United want to position their 1K brand as something to strive for but provides the benefits that are touted. The thread that GPUs are useless must be a concern for United - these are the pax who spend to make 1K not receiving the expected benefits. (I think GS members generally can use their GPUs on international flights but I may be wrong on that score.) I also suspect the drop in the number of RPUs for GS and 1K is reflective of the frequency of TODs and available capacity for RPUs after the paid upfares. Again, United trying to be realistic and set expectations.

Do I personally like the new PQD spend requirement? No and I have previously stated I suspect 2019 will be my last year as a 1K member, but that will also provide me the freedom to not be tied to United. We all have a price - and my breaking point is PQD of $15k. My annual PQM will still be around 200k (currently around 150k with United) so the business OALs get from me is going to significantly increase and I am fine with that decision as I am a value buyer. I liken 1K to golden handcuffs - for me they have now been removed.

With that said if United loses more 1K members than expected it can only have upside for the remaining 1K members, and if United finds their estimates on the number of pax who move to OALs is greater than expected then they can always "enhance" the product in the future but I suspect they have already worked out the percentage that will move with the PQD delta.
I would pretty much agree, and I am about in the same spot for dollars and miles. But I look back on the last couple of years and I really cannot think of any flights I've made on UA that I chose over a better flight on another airline. While 1K I've also flown non-Star Alliance on AA, DL, AF, WN and Frontier (the latter of which is the only one I wished I had flown UA instead of). Much of my travel is paid international J or domestic F (with TODs). You are pretty much treated the same as 1K when on F or J. Certainly, I'll still fly UA if it is the cheapest international J, with or without upgrades. Will it make a difference not having the GPUs? I've used all mine, mostly for international upgrades. So it might factor into the cost comparison.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Being a squeaky wheel has always had the possibility of a one-off service gesture, and I would not be surprized if UA did post-change honor previous P reservations. However, given the mileage credit system is based on rules at time of travel (and always have been, and Ps got the benefits on the change to 200%), it will need a manual request. Mucking with the systems to provide this one-time exception could create greater issues.
It kind of makes one wonder why on earth they waited until so close to the end of the year to change the requirements for the worse, after many folks have already booked their Q1 flights. Oh, wait...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
It kind of makes one wonder why on earth they waited until so close to the end of the year to change the requirements for the worse, after many folks have already booked their Q1 flights. Oh, wait...
Perhaps their numbers suggest the vast majority of P (especially domestic) purchases are inside a 60-day window?

Or they intended to announce earlier but had some holdup.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

It kind of makes one wonder why on earth they waited until so close to the end of the year to change the requirements for the worse, after many folks have already booked their Q1 flights.
I'll go on a limb that in my opinion, most business travelers have not booked Q1 flights at the beginning of Q4.......

Q1 bookings at that point are likely outliers......
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
You mean this one: "bait (Q1), bait (Q2), bait (Q3) - switch (Q4)"

Or, this one: "DL hasn't done anything we can copy this year - let's do something dumb that they wouldn't do to close out 2018 with a bang!"

Or, this one: "Naw, they're _still_ over-entitled..."

David
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

Do I personally like the new PQD spend requirement? No and I have previously stated I suspect 2019 will be my last year as a 1K member, but that will also provide me the freedom to not be tied to United. We all have a price - and my breaking point is PQD of $15k. My annual PQM will still be around 200k (currently around 150k with United) so the business OALs get from me is going to significantly increase and I am fine with that decision as I am a value buyer. I liken 1K to golden handcuffs - for me they have now been removed.
+1 This is exactly my situation and I too, fly on my own dime. I can't increase my flights on UA because I have to do around 50K miles per year on other carriers. Unless prices go up drastically, I won't be able to hit 15K consistently (I will again this year because of some last minute contracts), so I won't even bother trying. Thus, the golden handcuffs are off. Goodbye, lovely GPUs.
mrt88 likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 2, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.
I had already purchase a chunk of travel for next year so this is good news for me and feels much more fair!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent news. We had already purchased 2 P class RT eu/usa so this is just what was wanted.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

I had already purchase a chunk of travel for next year so this is good news for me and feels much more fair!

What is 1kvoice?

Was that an email to you or on some web site?

Is that only for 1K owners who request the adjustment?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Do you think this includes P fares on ANA? I have a big trip in March already booked and credited to UA.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Do you think this includes P fares on ANA? I have a big trip in March already booked and credited to UA.
Traditionally partner earnings are not grandfathered when the chart changes.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wco81
What is 1kvoice?

Was that an email to you or on some web site?

Is that only for 1K owners who request the adjustment?
Dont worry. 1K voice is just a priority contact for 1K Premiers. The MileagePlus Service Center should make the adjustment for anyone who’s purchased the ticket(s) before the change was made.

I only have one P ticket impacted, but it’s HNL- LHR r.t., so it’s a couple of PQMs. Don’t know if the extra PQMs will be important at end of next year, but nice to know UA is allegedly honoring the earnings stated at time of purchase.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 2, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
Traditionally partner earnings are not grandfathered when the chart changes.
The reservations I had asked them about were 016 tickets on UA metal for most of the mileage, so that made it easier too.

I try to avoid doing non 016 tickets as UA 1k desk is very good with IRROPS as well as flexibility due to schedule changes (from the airline)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.