Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Does the P fare PQM downgrade extend to OAL, like LH, LX, etc?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: 1K, Senator
Feels like UA 1K is beginning to level out with LH SEN.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz

Agreed. With GF going away my use for GPUs is decreasing. They are taking away the upgrade type I actually use most! Wonder if they bothered talking to any GS members before making this change?
i would encourage all the GS in this forum to write in ask for RPUs to be continued post 100K PQM mark. I will write in but a group voice counts more.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Suckers keep buying, y'all keep flying...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: United 1K
I wonder if United is thinning the herd of 1ks in preparation for a Star Alliance status above gold?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
W
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Additional thoughts:
1. Will UA give 150% PQM for after-purchase paid upgrades that book into P? Right now it requires reticketing into a premium fare, and that process can be an issue for tickets booked through a corporate travel department.
2. What happens to P-fare tickets already booked for 2019, where the receipt shows 200% earning?
3. I wonder if Marriott will take note of the likely reduced 1K numbers and offer Marriott Platinum status to GS and 1K (like Hertz gives President's Circle to GS and 1K)?
Marriott seems to have already done this. As a 1K I just received Platinum status with zero stays (but added three stays in the last few weeks as a result of this discovery).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tryathlete
As a 1K I just received Platinum status with zero stays...
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Platinum level is only going to stay, because UA doesn't want to give 1K at 2MM.
Actually, maybe they COULD do away with Platinum and only give Gold and Star Alliance Gold at 2MM and UA Silver at 1MM!
UA is the most generous of the major carriers in awarding mid-tier Lifetime Gold at 1mm so a re-alignment seems logical. But I am “certain” UA would grandfather/mother existing LT Golds and not demote them to Silver. There are lots of retiring Boomers who have done a lot of flying over their careers so the 1mm ranks logically will expand.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:10 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah but if you're buying tickets to qualify for status, don't you have to book those non-UA flights through UA anyways, in order to accuse the PQDs?
I live overseas, so the PQD requirement is waived.

Originally Posted by 1984SW
I'm still holding a glimmer of hope that P will be one of the Premium Plus fare buckets, and that Z will replace P fare levels.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Don't. UA has communicated O, A, and R as the P+ buckets. If they actually planned to use P, they wouldn't have made an announcement about how it was a change to existing bookings.
Spoilsport.

Since I missed that communication, what will replace the current R bucket?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Marriott seems to have already done this. As a 1K I just received Platinum status with zero stays (but added three stays in the last few weeks as a result of this discovery).
If you were Marriott Gold prior to 8/18, that is the correct result and has nothing to do with the UA changes. It will expire February 2019, when you will drop to "new" Marriott Gold.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
UA is the most generous of the major carriers in awarding mid-tier Lifetime Gold at 1mm so a re-alignment seems logical. But I am “certain” UA would grandfather/mother existing LT Golds and not demote them to Silver. There are lots of retiring Boomers who have done a lot of flying over their careers so the 1mm ranks logically will expand.
If UA demotes lifetime 1MM from gold to silver, I will never set foot on a UA aircraft again.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Trappy

Like I said previously my P Fare was booked two months ago for next year shows 200% earnings in receipt, so can they change earning after ticketing?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Technically they can do anything they want with MP benefits.

I would hope that UA backtracks on this point and grandfathers tickets purchased prior to the announcement. That's how this has consistently been handled in the past and I'm really surprised at how they're handling it this time. It may well be an IT limitation, but that's really no excuse.
I'm in the same situation with a ORD-IAH-LHR trip scheduled for April 2019 in P.
Originally 23,036 PQM on the receipt now the reservation shows 17,278 PQM loss of 5758 PQM
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JetAway
UA is the most generous of the major carriers in awarding mid-tier Lifetime Gold at 1mm
UA also has by far the strictest requirement for earning 1MM, based exclusively on UA BIS, so not really a meaningful comparison.
Silver Fox, narvik and east_west like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Come on, really? The Polaris product is one of the best in the sky and new Polaris lounges are world class.

You can't be serious. Recall that the majority of pax experiencing "Polaris" are still flying on the crappy old seats, e.g. 8-across "coffin seats" on 777s. Even if you get the new seats (which are only catching up to seats that other carriers had 5 years ago), you get some of the worst intl on-board fare available -- e.g. <$10 wines and utterly un-inspired entrees.

Good airlines allow you to pre-order food. On United, even if you're IK/GS, you're likely to be asked for your "second choice." Second choice on a $10,000 fare? Give me a break.

And don't even get me started with the service. As a very frequent flier, the recent incident with the FA kicking a baby and mom out of Biz class didn't surprise me one bit. I see slightly lesser variants of that kind of FA behavior on a regular basis. It's really quite incredible.

Sure, the 12-15K spenders get downgraded but the 15K+ spenders and LT 1K/GS should be quite pleased with reduced competition.
There is a very long history of people expecting improvement from "thinning of the ranks." The history of them being disappointed is equally long.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1984SW
I live overseas, so the PQD requirement is waived.

Spoilsport.

Since I missed that communication, what will replace the current R bucket?
I (and others?) speculate RN may replace R.

My understanding is that the O,A,R designation for P+ has not been definitively confirmed. However, it is a credible rumor, so I am not expecting to see anything different, just wondering about other possibilities. I may have missed an official communication, though.

Come on, really? They’re getting rid of a perk (RPU) that most find useless and it’s killing you? They’re thinning the ranks across their higher tiers, so there is some semblance of exclusivity to them and you want to walk away - especially when you’re GS. After the merger, they had 2x the people in every tier. That alway happens after mergers as you want to keep everyone happy. The time has come to return some exclusivity to the tiers.

Come on, really? The Polaris product is one of the best in the sky and new Polaris lounges are world class. Economy pricing rivals ULCCs while still giving you E+ seating. RT from SFO to SIN, HKG, CDG for $580, $535, $515. Large companies are rebated 30% of the business fare, so they’re competitive.

Sure, the 12-15K spenders get downgraded but the 15K+ spenders and LT 1K/GS should be quite pleased with reduced competition.
Originally Posted by porciuscato
You can't be serious. Recall that the majority of pax experiencing "Polaris" are still flying on the crappy old seats, e.g. 8-across "coffin seats" on 777s. Even if you get the new seats (which are only catching up to seats that other carriers had 5 years ago), you get some of the worst intl on-board fare available -- e.g. <$10 wines and utterly un-inspired entrees.

Good airlines allow you to pre-order food. On United, even if you're IK/GS, you're likely to be asked for your "second choice." Second choice on a $10,000 fare? Give me a break.

And don't even get me started with the service. As a very frequent flier, the recent incident with the FA kicking a baby and mom out of Biz class didn't surprise me one bit. I see slightly lesser variants of that kind of FA behavior on a regular basis. It's really quite incredible.

There is a very long history of people expecting improvement from "thinning of the ranks." The history of them being disappointed is equally long.
In a way I suspect that the renewed intensity of focus on 1K over the past year or so (snack box, preboarding, verbal recognition) was actually motivated by a desire to shift the qualification to 15k PQD. It seems sort of odd that it occurs in such a dyssynchronous fashion, but perhaps they needed to prove to themselves they could do it before committing to the PQD. (Of course from the flyer's perspective, it'd be hard to say that marginally improved service is worth 3k PQD, but be that as it may.)

Last edited by fumje; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:08 am Reason: add reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.