Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Platinum level is only going to stay, because UA doesn't want to give 1K at 2MM.
Actually, maybe they COULD do away with Platinum and only give Gold and Star Alliance Gold at 2MM and UA Silver at 1MM!
I like your plan : )
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:30 pm
guw

Originally Posted by Hartmann
The 150% PQM P fares isn't great, but lately it has mostly been Z fares for me, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Ha! I was thinking the same. All of my paid upgrades or paid business fares were mostly Z (if not D) given availability at booking time FRA-SFO-FRA. It's usually hard to get P inventory there. However, I recently scored three good P roundtrip tickets Jan-Mar (2k€ each). Sight.

It's still better then Lufthansa Miles & More, though. LH's P fare only gets 100% status miles if you are collecting with Miles & More. A (most of the time) cheaper E fare (Premium Economy) gets you more status miles than P.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

The award travel fee waivers/reductions for Platinum are still pretty good. Worth the difference in PQD if you were only going to make Gold? Depends on your travel patterns

This is one reason why i think Plat. will stay as a popular and meaningful UA level. Other reasons: Plat. was the top published level in legacy Continental and many of the post-merger UA flyers are from the legacy CO ranks. DL -- oft-emulated by UA -- seems to be solid with its Plat. level, and it was DL's highest published level, too, prior to Diamond.

As others have said, and I agree, it depends on your travel patterns. Based out of SFO, there are oodles of GS and 1K, so, as a 1K, I was often 3rd/4th on the UG list for popular elite-booked flights. As Plat, I may be 8th or 16th, but when the door closes, I'm in the same E+ seat as when I was typically 1K. As Plat, I do get free SDC/SBY privileges, freedom from most M+, and call-center fees, and have cleared CPUs when I'm away from SFO/ORD/EWR hub flying.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Platinum level is only going to stay, because UA doesn't want to give 1K at 2MM.
Actually, maybe they COULD do away with Platinum and only give Gold and Star Alliance Gold at 2MM and UA Silver at 1MM!
If they were to make that change this 1MM would hope there was a grandfathering/mothering clause for Gold but do understand why they would do this as I think they have far more 1MM than they may like - I did most of my 1MM on UA (only a little was on CO).

I see your reasoning from UA's side for keeping Platinum but for this pax Platinum has little benefit unless they are going to differentiate the PE/PP product for Platinum members.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by chavala
I like your plan : )
I don't, which is why it is likely to happen!

Originally Posted by Kacee
.... I'm really surprised at how they're handling it this time. It may well be an IT limitation, but that's really no excuse.
Actually, I believe that has been their go-to excuse on many occasions!

Originally Posted by mrt88
So a double whammy of great fares having been out there, and the PQM deval. All in not a bad outcome, better to get real cheap P fares with g'teed biz than gamble on GPUs and/or have to spend so much time on routing to find R, in addition to relatively expensive W+ fare requirements.
Totally agree with this, and is also my experience for 2018.
pviri likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 29, 2018 at 5:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Originally Posted by guw
A (most of the time) cheaper E fare (Premium Economy) gets you more status miles than P.
this is not correct. while P is almost everytime < 2k€ you pay always more than 2.2k€ for E
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Actually, I believe that has been their go-to excuse on many occasions! ...
But as we have all experienced, it is nonetheless a valid (considering it's UA) excuse...
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
So 2019 will be the last year to enjoy lots of RPUs? Bring it on!

I prefer upgrade certificates to CPU. Upgrade certificates allow you to request upgrades for the flights you care about.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
The biggest draw to me as 1K is 6 GPUs and to less extent no award fee & IRROP treatment, the Polaris lounge food is not better than those at Centurion lounge SFO and Polaris on board meal is much inferiour to NH, BR, SQ’s and I don’t drink Alcohol so can’t compare, normally I board 20 to 25 minutes before gate close so the pre-boarding means nothing to me. This is my second 1K year and I will re-qualify next year, so far I have successfully applied all 12 GPUs for my TPAC flights as I only buy tickets with R >=1 (I’m super flexible). Since my travel is almost exclusively TPAC SFO to East or Southeast Asia I really don’t care CPU or RPU, I wasted all RPUs though I tried to upgrade my non-elite friends but failed. My travel pattern is each year I have 7 TPAC round trips and my 1K strategy before this devaluation is: 2 Award first/ business RT ( BR from UA RDMs and SQ from Amex Platinum and Chase CSR) + 2 paid P RT (8500 to 9000 PQD 65K PQM ) + 3 paid W round RT (4000 to 4500 PQD 35K PQM), my total spending is around $14K (PQD + tax), averaging 2K per round trip with credit card points. You can see I’m a marginal but happy 1K since I can sleep flat which is single most important thing to me.

I’m OK with UA’s new ‘enhancement' and I can live with it. My new strategy of next year is: 1.5 award RT + 2.5 paid P RT (11000 to 12000 PQD, 65K PQM) + 3 paid W RT (45 PQD 35K PQM) as long I can get GPU cleared I would be still happy. The new total yearly spending will be around 17K averaging 24K per round trip, still not bad, huh?

Do you think this makes sense or am I a little crazy to be UA’s refuge? Every one’s travel pattern and value proposition is different.

I don’t know what to do if UA raise PQM to 125K or PQD to 18K or 20K in the future? I just checked Cathy Pacific’s top tier 4 system wide free upgrades qualification, it seems too difficult to achieve 160 tier points to get this benefit, for me I have fly 6 round trip discount business and 1 PE trip to get 160 tier points and possible total spending 25K north, too much stretch so not option.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
"No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status."

This devaluation is not really effecting me negatively; I have 22 RPUs right now, all of which are likely to expire.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:53 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Just saw the announcement. Looks like Jeff Smisek has returned to United. All I can say is I’m glad I’m retiring in a couple of years as these changes are killing my 30+ years of loyalty. I don’t want any part of what United is becoming. Our company has been on the edge with UA the last couple of years anyway and this might be the “straw” that causes us to switch. The product isn’t competitive, if you fly Internationally and their pricing is frequently not the best. The FF program was the only real merit keeping us on UA. This latest round of devaluations to the program only serves to disenfranchise the ordinary high mileage road warrior. Bad United, very bad.
UA_Flyer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Not happy at all about the RPU restriction -- that's about 10 fewer RPUs for me per year. This will harm my friends and family.
Maybe with fewer RPUs floating out there, the odds of getting upgraded on a transcontinental p.s. flight from EWR or IAD to LAX or SFO will increase. Sadly these are few and far between.
Changing from two GPUs every 50K miles above 100K to one per 25K is good because for example last year I ended up with 242,422 miles, and would have gotten at least one more GPU. But it really should be one every 16,667 miles ... 100K divided by 6 ... to accumulate at the correct pace.
As a 3MM lifetime 1K, I'm not as concerned about the $15K PQM; been averaging $24K/year. But they don't give out the 6 GPUs until I hit $12K, which usually is around 125K. I suppose now I'll get 7 GPUs at that point (or 8 GPUs when I hit $15K at 150K).
What I don't know is what happens if I don't hit 100K and/or $15K at some point in the future.
When it comes to the RPUs, apparently I get 2 RPUs at hitting 75K/$9K, but if I don't, I still get 2 RPUs.

We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K Three Million Mile members like you. Thanks for writing.
You are 1K member for life based on your lifetime miles. However, to receive the upgrades you must reach the required miles and dollars required for Premier Platinum during the year, which is the 75,000 miles and $9000 PQD. If you do not reach these requirements during the year, two Regional Upgrades will be deposited in January of each year,
Our records indicate you have reached the 75,000 PQM but your PQD is 8676. When this figure reaches 9000 then the upgrades will be deposited and your account will show you have reached the requirements for Premier Platinum during this year,
What are the policies for GPUs for lifetime 1Ks?
And I should hopefully hit 4MM and lifetime GS in the next 2 years, so ditto same question for GS.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
"No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status."

This devaluation is not really effecting me negatively; I have 22 RPUs right now, all of which are likely to expire.
I earned 30 last year and everyone of them gets used in the 2018 calendar year. This one hits me hard.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:59 pm
PPM

I am probably at the opposite end of this discussion. For the last several years, I have reached 1K by July, and end the year have acquired 200,000 miles or more with a spending well over 30,000. This is not enough for GS status but still puts me in the same "bucket" for GPUs, RPUs, and award travel as those who barely reach 100,000 and spend $12,000. This year I reached 1K in July, but have 4 GPUs from last year (due to the extra ones given after reaching 1K) that I will need to forfeit because I am not able to use them, despite multiple email complaints to the 1K desk and completely available premium class cabins. I don't even keep track of RPUs, because those are truly only instruments that are allocated at the gate if no one wants to pay a small fee to upgrade. I will forfeit at least 6 of these this year. I don't know but wonder if this is an attempt to further reduce the competition for the program perks. While I hate to say that with so many miles and a spending pattern well over $12,000, I think I should have greater access to GPU availability and award travel.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
.... What are the policies for GPUs for lifetime 1Ks? .....
For LT 1K/GSs, if they don't re-qualify as 1Ks during the year, will received the 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs at the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.