Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:11 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
They addressed #2 in their update. The earnings are determined by when they are flown, not purchased. Hits me particularly hard because I bought 14 one-ways in P on TUESDAY that now earn 25% less than they did yesterday.
Same here. I bought even earlier and stuck now unprepared.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dordal

Do we know for sure if all these carrier’s P fares will now be at 150% PQM? I’m assuming so but didn’t see it in the announcement ... it only talked about UA P fares.
99% if not 100% UA will make those P fare earn less PQM as well, since those are UA's JV partners.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Is there ANY real enhancement with this announcement?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by travelexpert
1K Pre-Boarding, hooray!

Basically this was "Delight then Surprise"...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is kind of strange that past benefit changes would be associated with ticketing date, not travel date. I wonder if this is a technical limitation (probably not) or they just don't care about these things anymore.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
This is one of my least favorite Friday news dumps... especially, speaking as a Washington type, after this week.

I already have travel booked this year to requalify for 1K for 2019, but I'm going to need to keep an eye on the math next year so I can decide by June or so if I'm on my way to hitting $15k or not. Which is not out of the realm of possibility: Two years ago, I came within less than $200 of that.

But if I'm not on that path, how much do I want to distort my travel plans to alter that course? After, say, $1,000 in extra spend, I have to think that I could just put that money into mileage-upgrade co-pays on the rare flights that have R open at booking or SDC. (The fact that I had to SDC to use two GPUs this year is on my mind as I type this.)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You realize that the next "enhancement" coming will probably be the elimination of Platinum.
I agree. and what happens to 2mm's then?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
As normally happens with these types of devaluations....FT blows up, 80+% of us threaten to move some/all of our business to OAL, we speculate about the demise of Platinum level and/or lifetime status, and then........ little real change in our behavior takes place.

The bottom line is that UA (despite certain decisions every business makes from time to time) knows how to run their business. They've done the analysis and determined the impact to their bottom line and made the call. It is a delicate balance for publicly traded companies to maximize long term shareholder value and maintain customer loyalty. UA makes these changes every 18 months and continues to report record profit (for them). As long as those numbers go up over time, these types of devaluations will continue.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Does the P fare PQM drop to 150% take effect now or Jan 1, 2019?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Does the P fare PQM drop to 150% take effect now or Jan 1, 2019?

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.
Both based on travel date, not purchase date.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That is flights that occur after 1/1/19.

Not flights booked after 1/1/19.

You can book flights now for 2019 and those flights only get 150% instead of 200%.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Increased baggage weight (50 to 70 lbs) for Silver, and one more bag (from 2 to 3) for Gold.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I'll be just at the threshold most likely next year. Most of my travel is P fares so this hits pretty hard.

As to the comment on premium fares rather than saying biz, I think this is just because domestic first can be booked into P, as well as near biz, and longer haul polaris biz vs. any indication of move to P for premium economy.

Referring to this part in the announcement: P‑class fares are a type of discounted premium cabin fare.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JHake10
Alaska airlines seems to be a good program. They also have unique redemptions.
Originally Posted by Kacee
From SFO it's a great program for domestic travel, so long as you're going somewhere they fly, and you're not looking for lie-flats on t-cons.

I'm literally 100% on upgrades since status matching to 75K.
I'm not running at 100% on upgrades after almost 2 years at Alaska, but that's because the Airbus fleet out of SFO only has 8 F seats and it's been a tough upgrade to clear this year on transcons. Last year upgrades were not available on those aircraft at all. Missed out on 2 Airbus transcon flights this week, departing #1 and #2 on the upgrade lists. Have done much better when I stay on Boeing aircraft (cleared to and from HNL last week, and probably over 90% when on those aircraft with 12-16 seats up front). Those Airbus aircraft are due to be reconfigured, though, and the 8 seats cabins will vanish, making upgrades easier.

One of the better partner awards is Qantas to Australia, and that means anywhere in Australia, not just SYD or MEL. A one way business award on Qantas from the U.S. is 55K and first is 70K. I have an F award coming up MEL-SFO and did another one back in May SYD-SFO (Qantas PHOTOS). On the leisure fares I fly, Alaska awards 100% flight miles based on distance and 125% elite bonus miles on Alaska metal. A typical SFO-JFK at $300 would bring in over 11,000 miles at Alaska while a 1K would bring in 2,750 miles at UA. Buy higher priced fares, though, or first class fares, and the miles can jump dramatically. The one area you need to be careful with is partners, as some accrue as low as 25% (though cheap Qantas flights at 100% + elite bonus can bring in over 30,000 miles per trip to a top tier Alaska flyer).

Alaska mileage:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

Alaska partners mileage:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...dID:MPPartners

Pay careful attention to AA that does not accrue Alaska miles on domestic flights unless it's an Alaska codeshare.

Having said all this, Alaska probably works best for SEA and SFO flyers. You really need to look at the route network before making a move. If you do make a move, October 1 is the date you need to be looking at for a status match for the rest of 2018 and all of 2019.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How is AS for TATL awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.