Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today were introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier status some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

Premier 1K members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

All Premier members flying in United Business, United First, or United Polaris business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier Gold members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, well add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customers request.
Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
This $12k --> $15k change for 1K is going to matter? I might spend $15K with just enough PQMs for Platinum.
Yes, as I have the opposite problem, Lots of PQMs and just made the PQDs for 2019. So will be unlikely to make 1K for 2020. With the CC waiver will make Platinum but without the GPU incentive I will probably fly OAL and keep at Gold since I am a MM.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Premier 1K members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2
If you're boarding during the pre-boarding, isn't that just another boarding group? Have airlines thought about just one type of numbering system for the boarding, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc instead of pre-board boarding, premiere boarding, handicap boarding, group 1 boarding, we forgot the elderly boarding, UA Silver boarding, group 3 boarding? Reminds me of the Key and Peel skit.

If airlines wonder why the boarding process is so chaotic it could be because it makes no sense.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
iluv2fly might be onto something: what's the long-term plan with mid-high tier (i.e. Plat) for UA?

Also, what is the long-term plan with RPUs? Will those be phased out as well?

Unanswered questions/issues:
  1. Guessing the fare class restrictions for GPUs stay in place?
  2. How will the new Premium Plus play into the upgrade scheme (fare classes? separate cabin? etc.)
  3. Are we moving to a "singular upgrade sticker" scheme with RPUs being faded out (e.g. 1Ks/GSs are awarded 12 stickers at 100k and then 2 more every 25k thereafter. 1 sticker upgrades a domestic flight - think RPU- and 2 stickers upgrades an international flight - think GPU)?
  4. Are there any givebacks/improvements UA can implement through making 1K harder to achieve?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
If theyre gonna raise it to $15k they really need to make buy-ups count.
Miggles, ACVBear, drewguy and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Interesting. Net positive for Silvers and Golds.

Net negative for higher-spenders with the loss of PQM for premium fares.

Net neutral for 125K flyers (assuming 1 GPU = 2 RPU).
Net negative for 150K flyers+ in loss of RPU. (neutral for GPUs, as now 1 per 25K versus 2 per 50K).

In theory, better upgrade chances via CPU for remaining 1Ks, but we will not see effects until February 1, 2020.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
I think, in typically clear-as-mud language, they are saying baggage allowances are unchanged for 1K, but in several ways increased for other Premier members.

And now that everyone can check 70lb bags, have they got the handlers on a spinach diet?
Not in this case. United makes this explicitly clear in the FAQ immediately underneath. In typical "headlines" fashion, nobody reads the actual source document.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Interesting. Net positive for Silvers and Golds.

Net negative for higher-spenders with the loss of PQM for premium fares.

Net neutral for 125K flyers (assuming 1 GPU = 2 RPU).
Net negative for 150K flyers+ in loss of RPU. (neutral for GPUs, as now 1 per 25K versus 2 per 50K).

In theory, better upgrade chances via CPU for remaining 1Ks, but we will not see effects until February 1, 2020.
Net negative for those who typically fall into the $12K-$14,999 PQD spend range.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not in this case. United makes this explicitly clear in the FAQ immediately underneath. In typical "headlines" fashion, nobody reads the actual source document.
How do you mean? I had trouble forming a clear understanding from the following (from the FAQ, which I did read prior to posting):
The changes are as follows:
  • When flying in United Economy, Premier Silver members were previously allowed one bag with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. (23 kg) per bag. With these changes, the maximum baggage weight allowed for Premier Silver members has increased to 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.
  • Premier baggage benefits between the U.S. and Europe have increased:
    • When flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe, Premier Silver members are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag. This is an increase from the previous benefit of one bag with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. (23 kg) per bag.
    • When flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe, Premier Gold members are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag. This is an increase in the number of bags allowed, which was previously only two bags.
  • These changes make our Premier member baggage benefits consistent when flying long-haul international: Premier Gold, Platinum, and 1K members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, or the Middle East are now allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag. Premier Silver members flying in United Economy on flights between the U.S. and Europe enjoy both a higher baggage allowance — two bags — and higher weight — 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.
The last bullet is the only one directly addressing 1K, and it qualifies the stated allowance by referring to 'long-haul international' flights.

The statement introducing the bullet list is what seems to me to be the clearest indication that, unless otherwise stated, there is no change. But, as I said, I find it quite unclear that they definitively intended to say that, as opposed to them overlooking inclusion of whatever new allowances they will give to Platinum/1K(/GS).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
This is definitely bittersweet. I have enjoyed flying BR and LH quite a bit, but those tickets haven't been bought thru UA. I guess I'll have to buy a few more thru UA to ensure I make 1K.

On the plus maybe it will cause a hefty reduction in 1K and upgrades will be easier to get.....I have used up my RPU for the past 3 years and even used most of my GPU (Mostly for domestic travel)
I really really don't like the RPU reduction, but if CPU are easier it shouldn't be so bad on the days I have to buy econ tix.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:39 pm

Not necessarily, if people are going to jump ship, jumping Jan 1 to earn status on AA/DL/WN or whatever will also thin the ranks early
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Not necessarily, if people are going to jump ship, jumping Jan 1 to earn status on AA/DL/WN or whatever will also thin the ranks early
If anything pople would jump to AA for a chance at EXP as it still $12K, DL has the same $15k spend for Diamond.

Mark my words though, I'm sure AA will be annoucing changes for earning EXP now.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Big drop in RPUs will be a bummer for family & friends.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
If anything pople would jump to AA for a chance at EXP as it still $12K, DL has the same $15k spend for Diamond.

Mark my words though, I'm sure AA will be annoucing changes for earning EXP now.
Sure, but just because AA is 12K doesn't mean people will automatically go there.

If DL would quite screwing up their FF miles and awards I would jump back in a heartbeat, the reason I left was family trips not service or schedule - as UA and DL have both treated me well when I flew. If I was switching due to the 15K being the show stopper, I would probably go back to DL instead of AA personally. but DL has the 125K PQM in addition to the 15K, so that is a double whammy, but if you are going to be one tier from the top no matter what then VoV (I am comparing ONLY DL and UA here, I know AA is still 12K, 100K PQM)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Gosh I despise the positive spin on the bad news. The three reduction in benefits (higher PQD requirement, reduced PQM on P fares, and fewer RPUs) will discourage this 1K from flying United. I could care less about boarding earlier or taking more luggage. I hardly ever check even one bag.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
OMG, if the Supreme Court stuff wasn't dramatic enough

I'm 1K. This is disappointing. P 150% is dumb, but makes sense now that we saw website calculation issues for this. We just didn't realize it was ACTUALLY coming (well, some did).
RPU/GPU stuff is dumb dumb dumb.

Facepalm, UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.