Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MrGood
This will not increase the amount of full fare tickets purchased by it's highest paying clients. It's going to cause an exodus toward DL and its more user friendly policies.
Only the ones who are not good at math.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
In fact, isn't it just as likely to exacerbate the "problem"? If people are motivated by these levels -- and I know that I have been in the past -- and they raise the target, it's entirely possible that people will travel more in response. Thus, your average flight could have more 1Ks than it did before.
My opinion, I do think 1K's will get reduced. That is a decent jump from $12K to $15K. I'll keep my 1K status due to my lifetime status, but I'll clock in roughly 115,000 miles this year - and definitely won't hit $15K - it'll barely be $10K, and I definitely wouldn't have made up $5K more in spend to keep it. I speculate this will impact a lot of people.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MrGood
Just gotta say, it's a crying shame how not only did UA increase the PQD's needed to require for 1K, but also the fact that the annual RPU allowance has been reduced drastically. This will not increase the amount of full fare tickets purchased by it's highest paying clients. It's going to cause an exodus toward DL and its more user friendly policies.
Seriously, I"m beginning to wonder if people in these forums actually read any of the discussion going on and weigh the evidence we actually have regarding these programs.

So, MrGood, do you have an example, really any example at all, to support your assertion that this will cause an "exodus?" I'll give you an example. AA reduced the awarding of their semi-equivalent upgrade instrument, which they call system wide upgrades (SWU) by 50% last year. Additionally, they too are raising the EQD requirement to $15K and they reduced the ability to generate EQDs via credit card spend by 50% as well. Impact? As far as I can tell, other than squawking on FT, nada, zip, zilch. Planes are packed, more elites than ever, the upgrade lists on the monitors at the gate grow longer almost by the month.

If the mass exodus from the elite ranks that angry FTers on the UA/AA/DL forums claim "is going to happen" were actually happening, there would be evidence of it.

I share peoples disappointment with the trajectory FFPs are going, but its utterly naive to believe it's a UA issue rather than an industry issue.

But for the record, I do hope people actually really start voting with their wallet rather than just complaining on FT. Then, and only then, we will learn if these concerns/predictions will facilitate any change.

Regards
Old May 8, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My opinion, I do think 1K's will get reduced. That is a decent jump from $12K to $15K. I'll keep my 1K status due to my lifetime status, but I'll clock in roughly 115,000 miles this year - and definitely won't hit $15K - it'll barely be $10K, and I definitely wouldn't have made up $5K more in spend to keep it. I speculate this will impact a lot of people.
So, you may be right, and I have no problem if I'm wrong and I'll happily come back and "own" it on this forum.

However, you can understand why some of us are skeptical, yes? I mean, you'd at least concede that the exact same dire predictions regarding impact to elites, have been made in these fourms for years. I mean you at least acknowledge that much, yes? But your effectively saying "but this time its really different than the last three times" correct?

Regards
Old May 8, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
But your effectively saying "but this time its really different than the last three times" correct?
That's my opinion as stated in the previous post.

And if I'm wrong, they'll raise it again and as many times as they need to do so. If there are suckers out there who are literally thousands of dollars off of the PQD and actually spend that money - more power to them.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
i am definitely skeptical, why i used the term "hope". I know a lot of 1K's like my wife, who can occasionally grab 10-12K spend but will never get to 15K. Obviously, the decrease in first/business fare prices have enabled many to get 1K status but i think the move to 15K may help a little. I'm SFO based, i am not delusional, i know United gives out GS like candy to many industries here. Things will never be like they were 5-10 years ago.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonp622
i am definitely skeptical, why i used the term "hope".
OK, but again: What impact does "too many" 1Ks have on you? If you're a 1K that's going to meet the 15K PQD level, you're likely to be flying higher fare classes than the 1K that's not going meet the PQD level, and if you're worried about people buying F... they're still going to be buying F.

I still don't understand what "problem" people think is being solved here, besides feeling less unique.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, but again: What impact does "too many" 1Ks have on you? If you're a 1K that's going to meet the 15K PQD level, you're likely to be flying higher fare classes than the 1K that's not going meet the PQD level, and if you're worried about people buying F... they're still going to be buying F.

I still don't understand what "problem" people think is being solved here, besides feeling less unique.
So given your logic, what do you perceive as the value of 1K and/or elite status at all then? Why do you pursue it?

Regards

P.S. Has absolutely nothing whatsoever, to do with feeling "unique" for me.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:53 pm

Things will never be like they were 5-10 years ago.
You must mean 10-15 years ago...? It’s at least that long ago that 1Ks were constantly upgraded and received all around excellent treatment.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
So given your logic, what do you perceive as the value of 1K and/or elite status at all then? Why do you pursue it?
Better treatment in IRROPS. E+ at booking. GPUs. Occasionally, luggage allowance. Lounge access on international trips.

None of these are meaningfully limited by the number of other 1Ks. Yes, we've agreed that there are some finite resources, but on my trips, it's rarely been a problem.

What I don't understand is why my presence, as a low-yield 1K, seems so offensive to some people. "Gahhh!!! Get rid of these peons who are only spending $14,000 in PQD! Then we will have... X." But I can't figure out what "X" is -- what is it that I'm taking away from people who seem to consider themselves more deserving?
exerda, chavala, mikeyf and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There are definitely too many 1K's at SFO. i'm hoping the 15K spend will help that a little.
Arent most (or at least a significant amount of) SFO 1Ks (and GS) given out to corporate clients by UA?
Old May 8, 2019, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Arent most (or at least a significant amount of) SFO 1Ks (and GS) given out to corporate clients by UA?
Probably a meaningful number. Many make it by flying though. Not that hard to make 1K flying front cabin. 3 TPACs/TATLs and a t-con or two.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA has the data

UA knows the spend demographics pre-PQD
UA knows how the spend demographics changed with $10K PQD
UA knows how the spend demographics changed with $12K PQD
With that information, UA has likely modeled what the spend demographics will be $15K PQD

UA knows who has been above the threshold and who was below. They know how many that were below the new threshold and made it up and those that didn't

This sort of modeling is very standard and can be pretty accurate.

UA's goal is maximizing revenue and they have a pretty good idea on how the average 1K "values" their benefits.

The wrinkle in this is the other changes in benefits such as preboarding does seem to be well received but "no chart" awards system is likely not to be as well received. And declining upgrades may bother some but for those buying upfront already may not care. (again UA has data on purchased fares)

UA is not relying on anecdotal responses, UA has the data.

Is the analysis infallible, no -- but UA thinks they know what they are doing.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I don't think anyone here has a clue, either way, on this. Just our preconceived notations.
jsloan and mikeyf like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2019 at 7:51 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 8, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has the data
UA is not relying on anecdotal responses, UA has the data.
Well said.

Regards
Old May 8, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I will probably not make 1K next year, but I will continue to buy cheap F and J, will upgrade with miles when I can find PZ, and fly other airlines when it is cheaper or they offer upgrades at booking. I can survive buying my own tapas box. And I’ll still have *A lounge access and usually premier access and Group 1.
mgmsteven likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.