Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, the VX pickup and expansion of Horizon flying on oddball routes out of the West Coast has definitely increased the attractiveness of AS. So far, the GPUs from 1K are a benefit AS can't even come close to matching, but if I start missing 1K then I would think twice.

However, *G is invaluable for international travel on *A and I'm not sure I could make MVP75 and UA Gold in one year, plus if "more upgrades" is supposed to be an AS benefit I'm still not sure my Y tolerance is high enough to roll the dice on longer flights. There is some inertia to it though, definitely.
This year I'm flying enough to clear 1K and MVP Gold. I wouldn't trade UA for AS, but it augments nicely for domestic flying. The no change fees is awesome, as are the earnings on certain partner fares.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Do you happen to know what the underlying fare code (e.g., H, Y) was after she handled it since it was still showing as "P"?
According to the agent, the fare code was a regular P fare, as opposed to (in this case) an H fare that shows P to allow you to select a seat in F. There's no way (she said) for us to see whether the underlying fare code is the same as the stated fare code, except to look at the PQM's. Supposedly we wouldn't have access to the underlying fare code. Maybe we could figure out what the fare code would be by adding the current fare to the Premier Upgrade Fee and matching the total to the full P fare, and if less, then to a current coach fare.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
According to the agent, the fare code was a regular P fare, as opposed to (in this case) an H fare that shows P to allow you to select a seat in F.
The agent was likely making things up. I can't think of a single market where UA has both differential pricing and the non-differential pricing.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The agent was likely making things up.
I would go further, and say the agent doesn't understand her own airline's fare structure or how to read a fare basis code.
iluv2fly and goodeats21 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
BE brings in a different customer, respectfully and it's up to our airline to manage complaints. At LAX, ORD, EWR, it's a nightmare with people complaining that they "didn't know" a bag cost was involved. For you and I, we know the rules. For the rest, teaser flights are like clickbait. You buy and find out for real. The outcries heard perpetually are annoying, and I don't need it, honestly. So that being said, I'm terrified of BE customers because of the pettiness, lack of comprehension when purchasing tickets and more or less, hindering my travel experience for work/leisure. It is a fact BE brings wider inventory, and I'd love to hear your take, because I'd argue from my last year flying, BE brings more problems to my 1K experience.

"Of all the Premier levels, 1K is the one UA seems to making a little extra effort towards in last couple of years. Free food/drink, M-ups, pre-boarding. Seems like they are trying to make it a little more of an important group by increasing quality of them "

I could not agree more and it's just finally getting caught that sucks. We now see the intended changes, and I'm just a little butthurt that it's finally happening (even though I'll be a 1K next year). I want this airline to thrive and I'd say the program is de-emphasized because of no-RPUs, the joke to earn GPUs (any benefit when I hit 200k PQM, do I just get an extra GPU for my hard work?) and destruction of P-Class rewards (50% of my global travel).

Appreciate your response, are you a 1K?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
Originally Posted by username
It seems this change will affect people in the following ways:

1 - no effect at all - not making 1K before the change OR no problem with 15K PQD anyway
2 - spend the extra dollars to make 1K
3 - stop trying at Platinum
4 - move completely to a different carrier

It seems more might be in groups #3 and #4 than group #2 ? So, maybe UA ends up losing the extra revenue but also reducing the cost of supporting these members?
Originally Posted by Kacee
My guess is that UA doesn't expect to lose most of them; they'll just drop down in status. Most people are not so status obsessed as those of us on FT and wouldn't switch carriers just because of the increased 1K PQD requirement. Plus, many flyers don't have much of a choice in carriers due either to location, route needs, or corporate contracts. Finally, it's not like there are a ton of other options out there. DL already requires $15k for Diamond. I would expect AA to match within a year (and wouldn't move to that dumpster fire even if they didn't). AS only works for a pretty small subset of UA flyers.
I have to agree, that the majority of flyers are locked into a certain airline due to home airport and routes needed. Most of my trips are direct "500 mile" trips on RJ's to small towns in Houston and Louisiana, so segments never gets me there, and I have to seriously monitor buy up opportunities to get my EQM's there. Add to that, time already invested, (I've hit my 1MM on United).

I will fall into the #2 category next year, of seeing what I can do to ensure I make the spend and EQM requirement to keep my 1K status. (Husband is very supportive on any additional spend to P since it means he keeps HIS 1K status). By June or July, I'll have a good idea if I have a shot at making it. Either way, I will fall into the #3 Category at some point. The day I miss my 1K renewal, will be the day the stress melts away, and flying becomes just another way to get from point A to point B. I'm still blessed to have the Original Mileage Plus card that allows me to earn EQM. I haven't touched them in 4 years because I've earned my 1K. I have 23,000 expiring next Feb, so I will roll those over to ensure I hit Platinum. The moment I know I won't hit the PQ$ for 1K, I will punch out and and stop driving myself crazy purchasing tickets, when I could be flying on Reward tickets, and squeezing in extra work trips.

I will hate losing my 1K... and yet at the same time... I think United will be doing me a favor to release me from the stress.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedfanboy
BE brings in a different customer, respectfully and it's up to our airline to manage complaints. At LAX, ORD, EWR, it's a nightmare with people complaining that they "didn't know" a bag cost was involved. For you and I, we know the rules. For the rest, teaser flights are like clickbait. You buy and find out for real. The outcries heard perpetually are annoying, and I don't need it, honestly. So that being said, I'm terrified of BE customers because of the pettiness, lack of comprehension when purchasing tickets and more or less, hindering my travel experience for work/leisure. It is a fact BE brings wider inventory, and I'd love to hear your take, because I'd argue from my last year flying, BE brings more problems to my 1K experience.
Someone at UA is likely having a field day with these comments, as this is exactly what they're hoping people will believe. It's not true, of course, but it's a wonderful distraction for them. They're creating class warfare; successfully, it seems.

The introduction of BE did not bring any new customers to the airline. It was never supposed to do so. Instead, it raised everybody else's fares. Full stop -- that's what BE was for. All of this other stuff was the misdirection -- the sleight of hand the magician pulls to distract you from the facts. Prior to the introduction of BE, you had exactly the same passengers having exactly the same problems and concerns; they just didn't have the label so perhaps you didn't notice.

Your issues aren't with the BE customers or the BE product, but rather with United.

Full disclosure -- I'm a 1K, have never purchased BE, but I've resented every single time I've had to pay more for a flight because BE was offered and I didn't want it. And I find some of the other passengers with status to be much more of a hindrance to my travel experience than the BE passengers.
kilo and mrt88 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I find some of the other passengers with status to be much more of a hindrance to my travel experience than the BE passengers.
Indeed - Having a flight full of BE pax is actually a positive from a flight quality perspective because they board in like a 1/3 of the time due to lack of large carryons.
jsloan, Silver Fox and findark like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Kacee
Indeed - Having a flight full of BE pax is actually a positive from a flight quality perspective because they board in like a 1/3 of the time due to lack of large carryons.
Having had to the chance to witness the o/h bin fiasco on an SFO-LHR flight Friday night and sitting further back down the plane than normal (that's a different story!), it is getting worse and not better. The size and amount of some of the stuff that bangs and clatters its way up the aisle just makes me shake my head in utter disbelief.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Having had to the chance to witness the o/h bin fiasco on an SFO-LHR flight Friday night and sitting further back down the plane than normal (that's a different story!), it is getting worse and not better. The size and amount of some of the stuff that bangs and clatters its way up the aisle just makes me shake my head in utter disbelief.
I read this, and also watch as folks store their carryon items other than above their seats and wonder about airline liability when items go missing from carryons.

There was the report in the last two weeks of the ring that works planes out of South Africa, and similar warnings for flights to Bali.

These days I have a lock on my carryon but with more carryon pieces and more people needing to store them elsewhere I do see the US airlines needing to label bins with seat numbers as occurs on some EU airlines I have flown.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: None anymore
Are United P fares the only ones that are effected? If I fly a P fare on Lufthansa is it still 200% PQM? Can't find it on the website, apologies if it's mentioned somewhere in the past 33 pages.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
Are United P fares the only ones that are effected? If I fly a P fare on Lufthansa is it still 200% PQM? Can't find it on the website, apologies if it's mentioned somewhere in the past 33 pages.
They haven't changed the JV partner earn on P fares yet, but just waiting for that shoe to drop.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently, LH P fares are listed as 200%, but I think we all expect that to change as soon as UA is able to renegotiate.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
It would really make no sense for UA to keep it at 200% on other airlines, but as others have noted changing partner earnings involves negotiations with the partner. One data point: I just booked a trip on P fare with the UA segments showing at 150% and the ANA segment showing 200% on the receipt (not that it means anything)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: None anymore
Thanks for the info guys! So for now it remains the same but likely to change in the future. Gotcha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.