Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
You can call (United) to have them change the ticket into First -- this is not a cancel and is going to be just fine by almost any corporate travel department. The downside is that you have to call every single time, and also find an agent willing to both waive the agency takeover fee and the change fee (the latter is policy per GG BUYUP, the former is a courtesy). I would probably get fed up with my employer fairly quickly if I had to do that every time I flew..
I thought about doing that but see multiple issues:

1 - will UA want to touch the ticket?
2 - will this trigger a review by the Corporate TA and trigger a fee?
3 - if the trip gets cancelled or changed, your money is stuck and not sure how the TA can take the ticket back and re-use it (and how you could get your money back)

So, I have not tried it.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
good. I also got confirmation I will be getting 200% on already purchased tickets. Why don't they just do this up front instead of making people angry and then allowing it anyway. Leaves a bad taste.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Here is some data confirming that calling an agent to buy up does give you the additional PQM's and PQD's.

Purchased EWR-SFO round-trip in January on a flight showing R space available (early Saturday morning - only R seat that day or the next). Once reservation ticketed, I upgraded from G to R on the outbound with an RPU. The return didn't show any R space the day I needed to travel back (mid-week), so the only confirmable option was to buy-up. The online offer was $499. I called the 1K line, and the agent quoted me $469 (less!) to buy up my fare from K to P. She pointed out that if I had booked the upgrade online it would have booked into P but gotten PQM's as an H fare. By her handling it I got the 50% additional PQM's and the PQD's for the buy-up amount.

Here are the screen shots:

Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Here is some data confirming that calling an agent to buy up does give you the additional PQM's and PQD's.
If you upfare, by definition PQD, RDM, and PQM will be calculated based on the new fare.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, probs not going to make it it for 2020 so maybe this is a chance to go try some different airlines away from UA & Star.

Status match onto AA and start flying AA / BA / QR etc.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by janddouglas
Yeah, probs not going to make it it for 2020 so maybe this is a chance to go try some different airlines away from UA & Star.

Status match onto AA and start flying AA / BA / QR etc.
Easier said than done for some of us. I had to status match to UA from BA Gold as, when I moved to a new city, OneWorld could not get me out of here and, even now, it cannot really help my new travel pattern.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Easier said than done for some of us. I had to status match to UA from BA Gold as, when I moved to a new city, OneWorld could not get me out of here and, even now, it cannot really help my new travel pattern.
Not to mention AA does not status match from 1k to EXP...I think you can get a match to Platinum. I was alrady LT AA Plat and have been flying AA quite a bit this year and will earn EXP the regular way. I specifically asked (and I buy domestic F) and was told no dice.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
... She pointed out that if I had booked the upgrade online it would have booked into P but gotten PQM's as an H fare. By her handling it I got the 50% additional PQM's and the PQD's for the buy-up amount....
Do you happen to know what the underlying fare code (e.g., H, Y) was after she handled it since it was still showing as "P"?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by username
It seems this change will affect people in the following ways:

1 - no effect at all - not making 1K before the change OR no problem with 15K PQD anyway
2 - spend the extra dollars to make 1K
3 - stop trying at Platinum
4 - move completely to a different carrier

It seems more might be in groups #3 and #4 than group #2 ? So, maybe UA ends up losing the extra revenue but also reducing the cost of supporting these members?
My guess (all it is) is UA doesn't mind losing 1K people with low annual spends. I'm in a very opposite situation to those who are most vocal about the PQD pinch. I'm already over $12K PQD this year and yet at Gold status.

Who would UA rather have:
1) Occasional TPAC with P ticket gathering 200% on miles and making 100K PQMs?
or
2) Someone, for example, commuting ORD to CLE three times a month?

#2 is almost certainly going over $12K and probably close to $15K yet only has 36K PQM and 72 PQS to show for it. I think UA makes a heck of a lot more profit on this person. No, it's not me.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
My guess (all it is) is UA doesn't mind losing 1K people with low annual spends.
My guess is that UA doesn't expect to lose most of them; they'll just drop down in status. Most people are not so status obsessed as those of us on FT and wouldn't switch carriers just because of the increased 1K PQD requirement. Plus, many flyers don't have much of a choice in carriers due either to location, route needs, or corporate contracts. Finally, it's not like there are a ton of other options out there. DL already requires $15k for Diamond. I would expect AA to match within a year (and wouldn't move to that dumpster fire even if they didn't). AS only works for a pretty small subset of UA flyers.
findark and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I am heartbroken to see this thread and to find out 10 days later (huge United flyer that has been, well, busy flying for work/leisure). I am terrified to fly commercial in the coming years with the influx of Basic Economy customers, and de-emphasizing the entirety of the 1K program.

This is a joke, right? Ashton please come out now.

- RPUs being nuked
- P-Class 50% reduction to 150%
- 1 GPU every 25k PQMs

Where is the 5th tier that obviously is being created to boost shareholder value? It is apparent that 2018 has illustrated the most travelers ever willing to spend sums to get to where they want to go for work/leisure. Why I'm taking this so hard is I'm a pretty loyal United customer and my company has chosen to work with United bc of my recommendation. Hearing the news? Hard recommendation now. My company spends a lot so it's not the issue of being booked into First Class/Biz Class typically, however it's the "future" of how much these oligarchs are going to demand.

I'm at $65k PQD / 200k PQM on the year w/ 10 United Explorer Club cards for my team that travels internationally. I only fly United metal abroad (that will change if I'm not in GS next year especially with the news). I have committed my loyalty at young age to a company (my base is LAX/ORD) that is fundamentally changing the loyalty programs for every airline in what genuinely seems like a ploy to segregate further/congest airports in every capacity. Basic Economy has been a prime example on larger flights to SFO, LAX, IAH, EWR, etc. I've had 2 experiences where things got dicey on the plane from the back and usually, it's hard to hear from Polaris. To see United follow in the steps of Delta's Diamond, we're going to quickly realize that when fares eventually rise, top-tier experiences minimum qualifications will too.

Seems like all United lovers took a blow this year and I'm curious to see if anyone is really at the end with the company? I myself will continue to fly if I clear into GS (I'm in my early 20's so it'd be wise to hook me in for life with what I'll end up paying $85k PQDs for, at the end of December)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unitedfanboy
...I am terrified to fly commercial in the coming years with the influx of Basic Economy customers, and de-emphasizing the entirety of the 1K program...
Two issues-

I'm not sure why one would be terrified of BE flyers. They (non-status ones) don't bring on bags and they create a wider inventory of seats for non-BE to select from. And they board last.

Of all the Premier levels, 1K is the one UA seems to making a little extra effort towards in last couple of years. Free food/drink, M-ups, pre-boarding. Seems like they are trying to make it a little more of an important group by increasing quality of them (ie the $15K spend and no credit card spend waiver). I'm not sure what you mean by "de-emphasizing the entirety of the 1K program"
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
At the end of the day, UA is still the only airline that flies nonstop to my frequent destinations (SFO-WAS I'm looking at you...) and also internationally (although with the AS/VX merger and expansion it's looking more attractive). If I don't make 1K under the new rules, I'll be disappointed, but "switch carriers" isn't really a choice.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by findark
UA is still the only airline that flies nonstop to my frequent destinations (SFO-WAS I'm looking at you...)
AS inherited SFO-DCA and SFO-IAD from VX. I got upgraded on a former VX 320 SFO-DCA last month. Great flight.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
AS inherited SFO-DCA and SFO-IAD from VX. I got upgraded on a former VX 320 SFO-DCA last month. Great flight.
Yes, the VX pickup and expansion of Horizon flying on oddball routes out of the West Coast has definitely increased the attractiveness of AS. So far, the GPUs from 1K are a benefit AS can't even come close to matching, but if I start missing 1K then I would think twice.

However, *G is invaluable for international travel on *A and I'm not sure I could make MVP75 and UA Gold in one year, plus if "more upgrades" is supposed to be an AS benefit I'm still not sure my Y tolerance is high enough to roll the dice on longer flights. There is some inertia to it though, definitely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.